Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 03:12 PM

72 posts, read 113,812 times

Advertisements

Hey all,

Just curious to get some opinions on here. A little about me, 26, single, active, currently live in Brooklyn and work in Manhattan. I've been in NY my whole life, so this will be a big change no matter where I go.

Basically I want a city, mid-large size it doesn't have to be like NYC, with a decent young population. I love being outdoors and keeping active so that's important, and I'm craving for more nature than I get here. I've been playing guitar for over a decade so music is a plus, love trying new local beers and restaraunts. More of a bar guy, not into clubs. A walkable city is also a plus!

I've been to LA and can't see myself there, San Diego I loved but for some reason can't picture myself living there. I will say, I don't want to go colder than NYC, after 26 years I've had enough. Museums, coffee shops, bookstores are all pluses. Somewhere FRIENDLY! I'm not religious at all, but I don't care if people are. Oh, and cheaper than here, which probably won't be hard to find.

Sorry for the long post, but I figured the more information the better. I'm finishing my masters in Public Health online and working in corporate wellness. I can always resort back to being a Personal Trainer, especially if the cost of living is cheaper, until I finish school.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2011, 04:52 PM

3,887 posts, read 5,521,355 times
San Francisco or Seattle sound about right.

Old 03-23-2011, 05:38 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,415,339 times
Seattle

Old 03-23-2011, 07:06 PM

93,350 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Perhaps parts of Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Norfolk/Virginia Beach, Nashville, Denver and Louisville, among some others.

Old 03-23-2011, 10:45 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,972,963 times
Visit the possibilities first. That's what this Southwestern Ct bred, Fordham grad (Bachelors) did, several times in 1996, before moving just north of Nashville in 1997. This could be a fit, as it fits your specs, but again I'd always say visit your potential choices.

BTW, I'm within 2 miles of a large public sports complex (dozens of fields, so many my town "hosts" softball and soccer tournaments of such size the families coming from far away fill regional hotels up)..a few times annually.

PS, the green in the middle of Rose Hill was one of the deciding factors in my college choice. Though I loved NYC as a college kid, I also wanted a getaway that was not a concrete jungle.

Old 03-23-2011, 11:10 PM

546 posts, read 1,177,141 times
I'd definitely think of San Francisco. It is like NYC in many aspects so you won't miss those so much but it also has nature close by and it is warmer overall than NYC. It is cheaper than NYC so if you can live in NYC just fine, you can definitely live there.

I would have also said Portland, Oregon but it could be too small if you're used to big cities like NYC and it is more up north so winters could be a disadvantage.

Or Miami. Not sure how dense it is but it has more high rises and is more like a city than many other southern cities are. However I don't know much about it you might want to look it up but it is a possibility.

Old 03-24-2011, 12:51 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
It sounds like you might like Austin it's a young city with University Of Texas being here there's plenty of outdoor activities with parks and greenbelts all around town live music is at just about every bar/club in town and if your looking for bars there's 6th street and the warehouse district but there's bars all over downtown with great nightlife.

Austin, TX | Austin Events, Hotels, Attractions, Things To Do & More | AustinTexas.org

6th street austin, texas

Highland Lakes Visitors Guide

City of Austin - Parks and Recreation Department: Greenbelts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOABhN4hj3I

Old 03-24-2011, 12:58 AM

1,694 posts, read 3,622,951 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrn198 View Post
It sounds like you might like Austin it's a young city with University Of Texas being here there's plenty of outdoor activities with parks and greenbelts all around town live music is at just about every bar/club in town and if your looking for bars there's 6th street and the warehouse district but there's bars all over downtown with great nightlife.

Austin, TX | Austin Events, Hotels, Attractions, Things To Do & More | AustinTexas.org

6th street austin, texas

Highland Lakes Visitors Guide

City of Austin - Parks and Recreation Department: Greenbelts

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NOABhN4hj3I

Another Austin video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dVqXI...eature=related

Old 03-24-2011, 01:37 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
Is it important to you that you can drive back to visit friends and family rather than fly? (Note: That may be a financial consideration if you plan to do it with any frequency which is why I asked.)

Old 03-24-2011, 06:05 AM

72 posts, read 113,812 times
Hey everyone,

Thanks for the great responses so far. I've been to SF and loved it, and although it's cheaper than NYC, it isn't by much. Portland and Seattle seem like great cities as well, but I'm a big fan of sunshine, so that might be a problem. I'm actually heading down to Austin in May, and am very excited to see the city. I really like college towns, so the fact that you have such a big University in the city is a plus.

I've heard Nashville mentioned before, how is downtown? At my age now I'd like to be in a downtown area where I can still have a car, but can walk to shops, restaurants, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.