U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-26-2006, 02:37 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,184,923 times

Advertisements

Got a new job, given a few options for where they want me to reloacte. Don't really know much about the areas so looking for any advice...

The options:
1. Columbus, Ohio
2. Philadelphia/Eastern PA area
3. Anywhere in state of NJ

Any suggestions? We have young children, can afford up to about 225k max for a house. By all accounts from what i've read, heard, sounds like to avoid the entire state of NJ. Philly seems like it would be a great experience but that whole area seems really expensive. Even Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton seemed way overpriced. Columbus seems like it would be a good area, but would like being closer to New England, more snowy winters, the food, etc. of Philly/PA area.
Don't know, just looking for any opinions as we really know nothing about these areas!

Thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2006, 05:08 PM

Let me add some things we're looking for. Area rich in great food, culture, history, etc. DO NOT WANT Big Box, corporate, McMansion, hell...So less Big Box, more local family owned been there 50yrs type businesses, downtowns, restaurants, the better. The more original the housing and neighborhoods the better. Not looking for an area where cookie cutter subdivisions are the rule!

Of course we want all of this and at the same time as much for our money for as little the price. And good public schools. So while it would be awesome to buy some old row house in a revitalized neighborhood in South Philly, realistically that won't happen!

Also looking at Dayton and possibly Cincinnati included with our Columbus option.

Thanks

Old 08-26-2006, 09:58 PM

143 posts, read 824,491 times
Hope Im not too late...

Of the three I would say Columbus Ohio is the best to raise children. Very reasonable housing cost and is the only city growing of the three you mentioned.

Let us know what your final decison was

Old 08-27-2006, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vader View Post
Hope Im not too late...

Of the three I would say Columbus Ohio is the best to raise children. Very reasonable housing cost and is the only city growing of the three you mentioned.

Let us know what your final decison was
No we still have some time to decide. Comparing the three, things seem to be pointing to Columbus. Of the three it definately seems like we'll have the best quality of life for what we can afford. Also seem to hear nothing good about New Jersey, Philly seems to be mixed, maybe leaning towards the negative side, Allentown/Bethlehem/Easton haven't really heard anything but housing seems pretty high there. So I guess Columbus is probably at the top right now, still looking and researching though!

Thanks for the reply!

Old 08-27-2006, 02:51 PM

6,045 posts, read 22,815,732 times
NJ is great, if you can afford it. If your price range is less than $225k, then you would need to stick to southern NJ. For all the negative things I could list about NJ, there are just as many positives, and we have terrific schools. You may want to consider southwestern NJ and/or southeastern PA, being that you like the Philly area. Southeastern PA is lovely but I don't know much else about it.

Old 08-27-2006, 11:47 PM

41 posts, read 249,266 times
Being from an equal distance between Cincinnati, Columbus, and Dayton I can say that if you pick a suburd or city just outside of the downtown areas you will find some pretty good school systems and some nice housing for you range. I have more experience in Cincinnati and Columbus so I will tell you what I think.

Cincinnati is currently experience "flight" from the inner-city to the suburbs in Warren and Butler counties, thus resulting in a lot of new homes and everything else that comes with urban sprawl (malls, resturants, convenient stores). I would try to stay away from the actual city of Cincinnati and look for a suburb, also Northen Kentucky might be a nice option, it is a beautiful area with many conveniences. If you enjoy sporting events Cincinnati is home to the Reds (baseball) and Bengals (football). Both teams are becoming very popular as they have turned from perenial losers to good teams, not to metion there is the Tennis Masters Series in Mason. There are also a lot of fine art productions, I saw Chicago at the Aronoff Center (I believe) and was very impressed. Also Cirque De Soleil has just started a production (not sure how long it will be here). Oh and for the family there is the Newport Aquarium (very impressive), the Cincinnati Zoo, and Kings Island Amusement Park is right up I-71 in Mason. Cincinnati is a great town but with a lot to offer and a rich history, but if you choose Cincinnati make sure to choose where you live carefully as there are some very rough neigborhoods, and it also doesnt sound like you would like some of the new developments, so choose wisely.

Columbus is growing very very rapidly but has still kept its smaller town feel. I never seem to have much problem getting around Columbus and can usual find an easy way back on the freeway if I make a wrong turn. If you are into professional sports Columbus has the Crew (soccer) and the Blue Jackets (hockey) also, The Ohio State University is the major team in Columbus. Better get used to seeing a lot of Scarlet and Gray, also if you hear anyone shout O-H you must shout back I-O. That is how big this university is to the city. There are many things to do in Columbus as well: COSI (a science museum for children, although its still fun as an adult too) and the Columbus Zoo is world renowned. Schools in Columbus are very good, aside from the Columbus City School District. Again, if you do your research on a suburb you can find a good school district that fits. Columbus has a rich history as well and this can be seen in areas of town such as German Village, where a lot of the original buildings and cobble-stone streets have been preserved. Between Columbus and Cincinnati, I honestly do not know...Columbus has a growing inner city and Cincinnati has a shrinking one, take of that what you will.

Best of luck and I'm sure that if you post this on the Ohio forum people that actually live in those cities can help you much more than I can. I hope this helps get you started.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.