Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Puerto Rico the 51st state?
Yes 78 46.71%
No 89 53.29%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2011, 05:57 PM

4,515 posts, read 9,698,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
But it would be highly problematic. It would require that the Puerto Rican language be legal in Arizona, too, and the seething hate-filled conservatives would go ballistic.

Are you being funny? Or is it that you did not go to the school? Which one is it? Ignorance is a bliss. Puerto Rican language? Hahaha... That was a funny one. There is no such thing as a Puerto Rican language? Also didn't they teach you that Puerto Rico is part of the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2011, 06:01 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuertoRicanGuy View Post
Im Puerto Rican and i say independence!
Probably many Americans would support you.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:17 PM

199 posts, read 365,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
Dude for every pretty picture you post, I've got 10 crummy ones, you really want to play this game?

You should see countless pictures of Detroit, the slums of every major city in the U.S., trailer parks in rural Mississippi, Alabama, Georgia and South Carolina, droves of hovels in Appalacia...I could go on and on and on...

Old 04-26-2011, 02:57 PM

1,978 posts, read 4,406,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by americanguy231123 View Post
living in puerto rico is almost like living in the united states economically. No matter what your income.

The poor and unemployed are eligible for all the perks like federal and state funded public housing for the poor, unemployment benefits, welfare, medicare/medicaid.

The middle class and wealthy enjoys the lifestyle as on the mainland, however living cost are higher due to the fact the place is an island.

Third world?

Credit to Metrolic - World News, U.S. News, Multimedia and more. and marriot.

Not to mention...

Credit to abnelphoto.com@flickr

flickr: Abnelphoto.com's photostream (http://www.flickr.com/photos/abnelgonzalez/ - broken link)

Haha.
Those were awesome pictures!! Which city is that? It looks like it could fit in seamlessly with the nicer parts of Miami, like the Brickell area and it even has a Metromover that looks like the one in Miami!! Cool! And who are the spectacularly beautiful ladies in the first and fifth photos?

:.

Old 04-26-2011, 06:26 PM

10,214 posts, read 15,920,736 times
I wouldn't want Puerto Rico to be a state. Even the OP admits, its much poorer than the states, which means that we the American taxpayers will be subsidizing. We will be inheriting more people on welfare, food stamps, medicaid, section 8 housing and free lunch programs.

Though on one positive note, the new Congressmen out of Puerto Rico will probably be conservative Catholics who oppose abortion and gay marriage.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:28 PM

2,368 posts, read 5,104,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Though on one positive note, the new Congressmen out of Puerto Rico will probably be conservative Catholics who oppose abortion and gay marriage.
How is that a good thing? Do you really want to inherit more failures into the system and alienate one of America's most successful demographics?

Why don't we oppose anti-choice, anti-rights conservatives like yourself and ban you from getting tax benefits? Or ban you from having children? If you think it's okay to interfere with other peoples' relationships and child-bearing rights it should work both ways

Old 04-26-2011, 10:43 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,960,487 times
Quote:
I wouldn't want Puerto Rico to be a state. Even the OP admits, its much poorer than the states, which means that we the American taxpayers will be subsidizing. We will be inheriting more people on welfare, food stamps, medicaid, section 8 housing and free lunch programs.

This whole post gets a "yikes!".
Gotta love those falsified fiscal conservative types who really, deep down want to sink their teeth into those mouth breathing, red state wedge issues. It's SO telling. LOL.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:50 AM

40,050 posts, read 34,597,244 times
Quote:
I wouldn't want Puerto Rico to be a state. Even the OP admits, its much poorer than the states, which means that we the American taxpayers will be subsidizing.
You may not have noticed this, but Puerto Rico is a Commonwealth of the United States. Who do you think is subsidizing it now?

From a strictly financial viewpoint, the best possible arrangement for Puerto Rico is to continue its Commonwealth status. It would start losing big-time as a state...and probably even more as an independent nation.

Old 05-04-2011, 05:01 PM

16 posts, read 32,091 times
To all the folks that have asked what does Puerto Rico bring to the table / provides to the USA...

Guess where is the largest Nuclear arsenal out of the CONUS....think....let it sink in...

I'm from Puerto Rico and I must say I don't like the way my island is now, laws are ignored, people talk 2 languages and neither is spoken correctly..sigh its sad.

I just got back from spending 10 days in the Island and after day 5 I wanted to leave!!!

But I just like order and safety.

With that said, Congress can do with PR what ever they want, they can grant statehood or independence at any time BUT it would not look DEMOCRATIC to make a decision like that without asking the folks that would be impacted. No congressman will initiate this process they will let Puertoricans argue, fight, vote and struggle with what they want to do cause it will never get decided in a referendum.

The US gets plenty of stuff from PR, otherwise we would not still be a territory.

Some sugar, rice and other goods are produced in PR then shipped to the mainland, packaged and shipped back to PR to be sold to us...go figure.... That is one of the "things" the US gets from PR and please don't be so narrow-minded to think its only those items I mentioned.

On a different note, I do love to argue (its in our blood) so bring it!

Old 05-20-2011, 10:49 PM

40 posts, read 110,392 times
Puerto Ricans don't pay federal taxes or have a right to vote for the President of the U.S.A. but Puerto Ricans serve in the U.S. armed forces. Puerto Ricans have historically paid a high blood tax in wars. "As citizens of the United States, Puerto Ricans have participated in every major United States military engagement from World War I onward. During World War II, Puerto Ricans participated in the Pacific and Atlantic theatres, not only as combatants, but also as commanders. It was during this conflict that Puerto Rican nurses were allowed to participate as members of the WAAC's. The members of Puerto Rico's 65th Infantry Regiment distinguished themselves in combat during the Korean War and during the Vietnam War four Puerto Ricans were awarded the Medal of Honor, the highest military honor in the United States" (Wikipedia).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.