Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Puerto Rico the 51st state?
Yes 78 46.71%
No 89 53.29%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 11:26 PM

994 posts, read 1,830,486 times

Advertisements

I know it is up to the people of Puerto Rico to decide whether if they want to be a state or not, but if you could vote how would you?

Puerto Rican myself, I would like to see it become a state, because quite frankly the way Puerto Rico is going nowadays, its pretty bad. The relationship has always been that Puerto Rico needs the U.S. more than the U.S. needs Puerto Rico (or at all). If the U.S. were to cut the umblical cord with Puerto Rico, Puerto Rico would just suffer so badly and become like the Domincan Republic. While I would fear that Puerto Rico would lose a lot of it's culture if it became a state, and become the next Hawaii, a hybrized version of the Puerto Rican culture and American culture, I think it would work well.

I also think adding a city like San Juan officially to the United States, would be so cool. I think it would be the oldest city in the U.S. I know Puerto Rico is American so San Juan in a way is in American city, but at the same time it is not, it's a Puerto Rican city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 12:00 AM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Never thought of that, I'm sure the natives wouldn't like to lose some culture. It would be the next Hawaii.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:15 AM

1,472 posts, read 3,546,238 times
Its not going to be the next Hawaii. It would be an even poorer Mississippi. Statehood isn't going to wave a magic wand and solve the island's economic problems. Its still going to be poor. There would also be no worry about losing Puerto Rican culture. People stateside could have been moving to Puerto Rico for the last 100 years and they haven't. There was already an established culture, a different language and a dense population (living in much poorer conditions). Those three things pretty much stifled any interest mainland Americans would have in settling there in large numbers.

Old 03-28-2011, 05:20 AM

34 posts, read 187,313 times
Statehood, yes.

However Spanish should remain an official language there. Hopefully under statehood conditions would improve. The economy is lagging there but it is not comparable to the rest of Latin America, the quality of life there is very high I hear. Almost the mainland United States pretty much.

Puerto Rico definitely cannot support itself, there are limited natural resources and the infrastructure is not up to par with the population (I hear traffic is horrible). They would be better off part of the United States and we would be better off using it as a major touristic destination, strategic military/LE outpost, important trade post, and a place to offer very expensive real estate for very wealthy individuals as we are now.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:27 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffredo View Post
Its not going to be the next Hawaii. It would be an even poorer Mississippi. Statehood isn't going to wave a magic wand and solve the island's economic problems. Its still going to be poor. There would also be no worry about losing Puerto Rican culture. People stateside could have been moving to Puerto Rico for the last 100 years and they haven't. There was already an established culture, a different language and a dense population (living in much poorer conditions). Those three things pretty much stifled any interest mainland Americans would have in settling there in large numbers.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AMERICANGUY231123 View Post
Statehood, yes.

However Spanish should remain an official language there. Hopefully under statehood conditions would improve. The economy is lagging there but it is not comparable to the rest of Latin America, the quality of life there is very high I hear. Almost the mainland United States pretty much.

Puerto Rico definitely cannot support itself, there are limited natural resources and the infrastructure is not up to par with the population (I hear traffic is horrible). They would be better off part of the United States and we would be better off using it as a major touristic destination, strategic military/LE outpost, important trade post, and a place to offer very expensive real estate for very wealthy individuals as we are now.
I think the US would utilize everything in bold. A beautiful island country is a perfect place for Americans to turn into a spanish speaking Hawaii.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:31 PM

6,476 posts, read 7,322,267 times
I voted 'No', firstly because that's how the majority of Puerto Ricans vote. They rightly sense that they have the best situation right now.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
I voted 'No', firstly because that's how the majority of Puerto Ricans vote. They rightly sense that they have the best situation right now.
However I think there will be a day eventually when the U.S. is going to only give two options, independence or statehood. Like I said the U.S. really does not need Puerto Rico, if anything Puerto Rico needs the U.S.

I am sure Puerto Ricans would vote yes if they only had two options instead of the current three that they have.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:56 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
Absolutely opposed to statehood for Puerto Rico. I would rather annex Ontario, New Brunswick, or Alberta as new states, honestly.

It's primarily the language issue. The U.S. has struggled to integrate French-speakers in parts of Northern New England and Louisiana; not to mention Hawaii already had its own language/native culture upon statehood. All 50 states have been somewhat integrated at this point. The U.S. is NOT up to the challenge of Puerto Rico.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReluctantGardenStater View Post
Absolutely opposed to statehood for Puerto Rico. I would rather annex Ontario, New Brunswick, or Alberta as new states, honestly.

It's primarily the language issue. The U.S. has struggled to integrate French-speakers in parts of Northern New England and Louisiana; not to mention Hawaii already had its own language/native culture upon statehood. All 50 states have been somewhat integrated at this point. The U.S. is NOT up to the challenge of Puerto Rico.
Have you ever been there? Outside from the rural areas, pretty much everyone speaks English for the most part. Yes Spanish is the main spoken language, but if you were to visit Puerto Rico and only knew English, you wouldn't have that big of a problem.

I don't see how language would cause such a big no from you. It think you are overracting the language issue. If anything it would be more of a struggle for Puerto Ricans than the mainland U.S. for languages.

Old 03-28-2011, 02:29 PM

3,971 posts, read 9,676,224 times
Puerto Rico has got to get on the USA's level if it ever wants to become a state. It's basically a third world country now

(ive been there so hold your lame arguments)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.