U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:43 PM

9,391 posts, read 13,996,593 times

Advertisements

I wonder if those lists of "America's most dangerous cities" look only at the city itself or the entire metro area. Recently I came across a Forbes list and the section on Baltimore said that crime has decreased here in the past couple years. I'm also surprised that Washington, D.C., Philadelphia and Pittsburgh all did not make the top 20 list of most dangerous cities while places like Baton Rouge and Little Rock and Birmingham did which I find very surprising.

Living in Maryland, I know that both DC and Baltimore have exported their ghettoes into the suburbs through "gentrification". They are building new housing and businesses in Baltimore City all the time but a lot of the inner suburbs have seen massive spikes in crime and also physical decay in terms of the asthetics of the neighorhoods and the nature of the people living in them. In many close in suburbs, people who've lived there a long time are being pushed further out into the exurbs as ghetto people move in and bring crime and the thug culture with them. Illegal immigrants play a smaller but increasing role as well.

I wonder which METRO AREAS are the safest vs most dangerous. I dare say the Baltimore region as a whole should rank in the top 5 most dangerous as while the crime may decreased slightly downtown it just reppeared in the suburbs, same with DC. Maryland's liberal laws and judges are more attractive to DC's criminals and lowlives vs Virginia where illegal immigration is not tolerated and welfare is less generous. I've heard that New York's famous fall in violent crime has been matched with increased crime in New Jersey, don't know how true this is. Wonder if cities like Philly, Chicago, Oakland, Miami are also exporting their criminals and lowlifes to surrounding areas.

In terms of the metro areas as a whole, the AREAS I felt the most unsafe are in order:

1. Philadelphia
2. Baltimore
3. Miami
4. Los Angeles-Riverside

Washington DC has massive suburban ghettos east and northeast of the District but also a lot of exclusive suburbs as well though.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2011, 12:39 AM

1,542 posts, read 5,632,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I've heard that New York's famous fall in violent crime has been matched with increased crime in New Jersey, don't know how true this is.
you heard wrong.

while new jersey does have its rough spots (the usual suspects: camden, newark, etc), it is an overwhelmingly suburban, well-educated, middle-to-upper middle class state - and places like that tend to be very safe in general.

the stats back it up, too - new jersey is, on average, one of the safest large states in the nation: out of the top 11 states in the nation by population (nj is the 11th largest), it has the lowest violent crime rate - often by a wide margin compared to the other states in the top 11.

overall, it is 22nd safest out of the 50 states in terms of violent crime, with most of the 21 safer states being small, sparsely populated, homogeneous areas like vermont, new hampshire, and the dakotas.

in other words, when you consider major states containing large metropolitan areas (nj is part of the greater nyc and greater philly areas), nj is about as safe as you can get.

Quote:
Wonder if cities like Philly are also exporting their criminals and lowlifes to surrounding areas.
i don't know about the philly metro as a whole, but i do know that south jersey (which makes up roughly 1/3 of the greater philly area's population) is generally a very safe area - even with horrendous areas like camden. imagine if nj could magically take camden out of the equation (or, for that matter, if northern nj could take out newark, irvington, etc)?

Quote:
In terms of the metro areas as a whole, the AREAS I felt the most unsafe are in order:

4. Los Angeles-Riverside
wrong again:

Crime in Los Angeles County dropped again in 2009 despite rising unemployment and the bad economy, continuing a slide that has pushed homicides to levels not seen since the 1960s.

Killings dropped about 17% in Los Angeles and by nearly a quarter in areas patrolled by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. Together, the agencies investigated about 500 killings through Sunday -- a sharp drop in bloodshed compared with the more than 1,500 in 1992, the year of the Los Angeles riots.

The trend extended into other parts of Southern California and several major cities around the country. The Riverside County sheriff and San Diego County sheriff, as well as police departments in cities such as Anaheim and San Bernardino, reported declines.

For the LAPD, the statistics marked the seventh consecutive year in which the rate of serious crimes has declined.

Old 03-30-2011, 04:03 AM

786 posts, read 1,724,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbergen View Post
you heard wrong.

while new jersey does have its rough spots (the usual suspects: camden, newark, etc), it is an overwhelmingly suburban, well-educated, middle-to-upper middle class state - and places like that tend to be very safe in general.

the stats back it up, too - new jersey is, on average, one of the safest large states in the nation: out of the top 11 states in the nation by population (nj is the 11th largest), it has the lowest violent crime rate - often by a wide margin compared to the other states in the top 11.

overall, it is 22nd safest out of the 50 states in terms of violent crime, with most of the 21 safer states being small, sparsely populated, homogeneous areas like vermont, new hampshire, and the dakotas.

in other words, when you consider major states containing large metropolitan areas (nj is part of the greater nyc and greater philly areas), nj is about as safe as you can get.

i don't know about the philly metro as a whole, but i do know that south jersey (which makes up roughly 1/3 of the greater philly area's population) is generally a very safe area - even with horrendous areas like camden. imagine if nj could magically take camden out of the equation (or, for that matter, if northern nj could take out newark, irvington, etc)?

wrong again:

Crime in Los Angeles County dropped again in 2009 despite rising unemployment and the bad economy, continuing a slide that has pushed homicides to levels not seen since the 1960s.

Killings dropped about 17% in Los Angeles and by nearly a quarter in areas patrolled by the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department. Together, the agencies investigated about 500 killings through Sunday -- a sharp drop in bloodshed compared with the more than 1,500 in 1992, the year of the Los Angeles riots.

The trend extended into other parts of Southern California and several major cities around the country. The Riverside County sheriff and San Diego County sheriff, as well as police departments in cities such as Anaheim and San Bernardino, reported declines.

For the LAPD, the statistics marked the seventh consecutive year in which the rate of serious crimes has declined.
He didn't say he knew these things, just that he thought those things were the case. Well done for putting him right, but you can over do something.

Old 03-30-2011, 05:00 AM

1,542 posts, read 5,632,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
He didn't say he knew these things, just that he thought those things were the case. Well done for putting him right, but you can over do something.
i know what he said and what he meant - that's why i wrote what i did.

but thanks for the advice, old chap. carry on.

Old 03-30-2011, 08:02 AM

5,112 posts, read 8,452,988 times
I've seen both kinds of lists: most dangerous cities, and most dangerous MSAs. But sometimes, they aren't titled clearly. If you see Cleveland in the top 20, then it's a ranking of cities, only. If Cleveland isn't toward the top of the list, then it's a list of metro areas. There are probably other cities that have this same phenomenon, but I'm most familiar with Cleveland.

Old 03-31-2011, 09:21 PM

11,288 posts, read 24,160,312 times
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2010..._hightolow.pdf

Here's a list - not sure how much you can trust it, but seems ok.

Strange how if you really look you can spot trends. Arkansas is all over the top of the list, with MI and TX cities. Wisconsin is way down at the bottom, with Idaho, West Virginia, Minnesota and Iowa.

Old 04-01-2011, 08:50 AM

5,530 posts, read 10,933,279 times
Yet Minneapolis makes many top 20 lists but the metro area ranks among the most safe.....so I see the OP's point.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:00 AM

22,402 posts, read 35,080,593 times
Here is a ranking of Metro crime

I was personally surprised that Philly was mentioned as the highest.

Based on this list other large metros like SF, Houston, Baltimore, Miami etc were all found to have higher crime rates than metro Philly

http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009...9_Rank_Rev.pdf

Old 04-01-2011, 09:16 AM

34,730 posts, read 60,509,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Wonder if cities like Philly, Chicago, Oakland, Miami are also exporting their criminals and lowlifes to surrounding areas.
Actually Oakland is the dumping ground for Bay Area criminals and lowlives. At any one time Oakland is home to 3,000 parolees and that makes up 0.7% of the population--that's not small btw, but huge imo-that small group is who reaks havoc in Oakland.

Furthermore, with respect to Oakland, its been studied and parsed over and over again and concensus is that in Oakland, criminals largely target each other with respect to the most heinous crimes-hence San Francisco has a far higher 'innocent murder' rate than Oakland, where a full 90% of murders is convicted felons killing other criminals.

Ya know, sometimes I wish sheltered suburbanites would pipe down in the criticisms of cities that have high crime because our cities in essence contain a problem that your towns wouldnt be able to cope with.

Not that we're coping with any success, but we are making do with the situation at hand.

Also, Im sure people in Miami, Chicago and Philadelphia will agree with this Oaklander that crime does not define our cities and we live meaningful and very rewarding lives in our cities.

Old 04-01-2011, 09:28 AM

2,056 posts, read 4,913,293 times
Lake Charles? Really? lol.
Baton Rouge is much more dangerous than Lake Charles.
Even then, most of the crime is in one area of north Baton Rouge.

I do think its kind of stupid that an entire stand alone city is somehow compared to a bunch of segregated suburbs that sanitized all the crime and lower income people out of it. How is that even remotely a fair comparison?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.