Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 10:55 PM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,730,128 times

Advertisements

nobody here says yes ma'am and yes sir, cussin, cain't, own, on pronounced like own, naw -how i'm sure you're hinting at, etc.

here we say miss or mr for an older person.
we say cursing
you guys call your mother mama or whatever. we say mom or our mother when referring to our mother.
we say can't
ain't is almost universal now, white or black
gone is pronounced like pawn, or corn not like gown. no twang here.
i don't say ya'll but there are some ppl that do. its not really pronounced the same. my gf and i just got into this last weekend when i asked her where the "owl" comes from.

she says the a-l-l part. i'm like thats not pronounced like owl. she told me to shut up. lol.

our differences are interesting to me.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:01 PM
eek

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
Anyone who's lived down south, and is reading your comments, knows why I say you sound like someone who's never lived in the South.
anyone reading my comments knows that i have based on being able to tell you about your city...specific places, what ppl do and how certain things are.

Quote:
In Southern cities like Charlotte, its very....very....very convienant to get in your car and drive where you need to go. Rather or not these places deliver, or are in walking disstance, would only be a factor for a small percentage of people. Unlike you, my statements aren't conjecture. The fact is, independant pizza places are doing very well in Charlotte because people are supporting them in big numbers.
its not that its very convenient, its that its THE ONLY REAL OPTION in many cities, not even just in the south.

when you are trying to get pizza, 9 times out of 10 for MOST PPL if you can't walk to it and if that distance isn't real close, you are ordering. you are not trying to get into your car to drive to get pizza.

this is why places like papa john's continue to thrive in the south. add to that that there are far more papajohns in the area than fuel, tony's, etc.

the only local thing down there that ppl support regularly is probably bojangles...and thats only because they have a strangle hold on that metro area.

let a popeyes come in and see what happens...

but i'm not supposed to know that because i've never lived in the south before and never lived in charlotte.

independent chains are not doing nearly as well as their national counterparts, trust me. papa john's sees more revenue in charlotte.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:10 PM

2,742 posts, read 6,749,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
when you are trying to get pizza, 9 times out of 10 for MOST PPL if you can't walk to it and if that distance isn't real close, you are ordering. you are not trying to get into your car to drive to get pizza
I'm telling you, comments like this above again make it sound like you never lived in the South. Its very common for a Southerner to jump in their car and drive to go get food. Especially in smaller places like Charlotte. I said earlier, most of these pizza places are located in shopping centers near grocery stores, so they're near subdivisions and apartments. Most people would order over the phone, jump in the car, drive down the street and come right back. The entire ordeal would take no more than 15 minutes.....quicker than delivery!!! I'm sorry, you just don't sound like someone who's lived in the South.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:16 PM
eek

now this is completely off topic but lets think about this for a sec.

you live in charlotte.

the light rail is ONE LINE and hardly services the ppl of charlotte. you have to live in a *very* select area to even have access to it. so count that out.

taking a bus in charlotte is a stigma. so count that out.

so the only real option is a car. fuel is too far away, as is luigi's to deliver. you have to get in your car to drive to either or stay in the house and order papa john's to eat tonight, what do you do?

price wise, papa john's and either of the two places carolina blue named are comparable with papajohn's probably being cheaper with a coupon. lets say you wanted to compare...you get a supreme pizza with breadsticks and a soda from papa johns vs the same thing from one of the places carolina blue named. you come out better getting it from papa john's and they deliver.

you're more likely to get it from papa john's. you're from an area that historically hasn't had many italians so you didn't grow up on mom and pop pizza, you grew up on chain pizza.

mom and pop pizza is a relatively new phenomenon in many places in the south.

now maybe to you it sounds like i've never been to the south, but to i'm sure, everybody else, southern or not, they can see where i'm coming from.

you saying things like the entire ordeal would take 15 min makes it seem like you're trying hard to make an argument that just can't be made. it takes 15 to make a pizza. for many ppl it takes 15 or longer to get to a fuel...so what are you saying right now? haven't mentioned traffic at all, either.

it takes longer for many to order from those mom and pop places, and its more expensive than it would for a papa john's.

be honest.

Old 04-06-2011, 11:17 PM

418 posts, read 809,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Blue View Post
I'm telling you, comments like this above again make it sound like you never lived in the South. Its very common for a Southerner to jump in their car and drive to go get food. Especially in smaller places like Charlotte. I said earlier, most of these pizza places are located in shopping centers near grocery stores, so they're near subdivisions and apartments. Most people would order over the phone, jump in the car, drive down the street and come right back. The entire ordeal would take no more than 15 minutes.....quicker than delivery!!! I'm sorry, you just don't sound like someone who's lived in the South.
thats how it is in the suburbs of most cities.

Old 04-07-2011, 06:50 AM

Quote:
now this is completely off topic but lets think about this for a sec.

you live in charlotte.

the light rail is ONE LINE and hardly services the ppl of charlotte. you have to live in a *very* select area to even have access to it. so count that out.

taking a bus in charlotte is a stigma. so count that out.

so the only real option is a car. fuel is too far away, as is luigi's to deliver. you have to get in your car to drive to either or stay in the house and order papa john's to eat tonight, what do you do?

price wise, papa john's and either of the two places carolina blue named are comparable with papajohn's probably being cheaper with a coupon. lets say you wanted to compare...you get a supreme pizza with breadsticks and a soda from papa johns vs the same thing from one of the places carolina blue named. you come out better getting it from papa john's and they deliver.

you're more likely to get it from papa john's. you're from an area that historically hasn't had many italians so you didn't grow up on mom and pop pizza, you grew up on chain pizza.

mom and pop pizza is a relatively new phenomenon in many places in the south.

now maybe to you it sounds like i've never been to the south, but to i'm sure, everybody else, southern or not, they can see where i'm coming from.

you saying things like the entire ordeal would take 15 min makes it seem like you're trying hard to make an argument that just can't be made. it takes 15 to make a pizza. for many ppl it takes 15 or longer to get to a fuel...so what are you saying right now? haven't mentioned traffic at all, either.

it takes longer for many to order from those mom and pop places, and its more expensive than it would for a papa john's.

be honest.
Fuel is not the only independent pizza place in Charlotte. There are several and most people live near one. The reason I say you don’t sound like you lived in Charlotte is because you don’t seem to have an understanding of the “southern lifestyle”. We drive everywhere down here, and ther wouldn't be traffiic aftehours or on th weekend (you didn't live in charlotte saying something like that). We drivev even short distances that people up North would laugh at. Most people live within a short drive of a shopping center. You’re right, it takes about 15 minutes to make a pizza. That’s why I say it can be more convenient to call an order in, drive to a place and your pizza be ready when you they get there. A lot of the chains down south, it might take an hour for them to deliver a pizza. You said people down here don’t support those independent places and that’s flat out false. Those places are booming down here. Another reason is because they sell slices. Unless you’re lying about being a New Yorker too, you understand the significance of that. Walk into a place like Fuel here during lunch and its busy, walk into Papa Johns or Dominos or Little Caesars and guess what, crickets.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMR23 View Post
thats how it is in the suburbs of most cities.
My point exactly. In most southern cities like Charlotte, there’s very little distinction in your lifestyle from living in the city or the suburbs. Most neighborhoods within city limits in the South, look like they could be a suburb in a northern city, with cul-de-sacs, no sidewalks, etc. That’s why I said it didn’t sound like that guy ever lived down south.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:52 AM
eek

lol @ this.

walk into a papa johns and of course you don't see a lot of ppl. there is NO PLACE TO SIT DOWN AND EAT. this is why you ORDER from them and either pick it up or have them deliver. stop reaching.

and as a nyer that had no car, i know very well what it is like to live "that southern lifestyle" with no car. chill. i know more about your city than you do, son.

the problem with some of the ppl on here from cities like charlotte is that you try mad hard to make charlotte into something its not.

the skyline is weak. uptown is weak. the amenities there are weak. so called foot traffic isn't what it should be. the light rail line is weak. the mom and pop choices are weak. the fact that uptown charlotte lacks decent retail shopping options is weak. noda is weak (not supposed to know about that since i never lived in charlotte). carolina place mall is weak. northlake is weak. southpark being one story is weak. the bus system is trash. you have to drive everywhere and the parking uptown is trash. traffic being what it is because charlotte didn't plan or didn't execute their plans earlier is weak. etc.

you're probably somebody from matthews, rock hill or some other burb outside of charlotte trying to say that i've never lived there.

newsflash who the hell cares about living in charlotte enough to lie about it? when i was there i didn't want to be there because i did not enjoy it like that. i came with an open mind but it just wasn't for me. i posted about some of my experiences in another thread.

there's not even a reason to live in charlotte IMO. none at all. you're better off living in the burbs around it because you gain absolutely nothing being within the city limits, unless you were like me with no car. most ppl in charlotte have a car, buses are a stigma/not a social norm there, so it is what it is.

IMO its the dmv area, atlanta and miami as far as southern cities worthwhile on the east coast. charlotte isn't on the radar yet and won't be until they do more for their city.

now lets move on and bring this back to northern vs southern black ppl because this has absolutely nothing to do with the topic.

Old 04-07-2011, 08:58 AM

492 posts, read 1,026,813 times
Quote:
i disagree. i don't think we're on the same page as far as what i mean...

what i mean is that you have a lot of black ppl down south content with their 20 something thousand dollar jobs that think making 30 something is making money when its not. a bunch of barely getting by but content with it ppl.

thats not a slower pace of lifestyle thats called complacency. we gotta move on from that and reach for a better life.
Thats crazy because most of the black NYers I know live in the projects on welfare (harlem) or at home with their moms and dads in a brownstone (brooklyn) or live in an apartment with a bunch of room mates (bronx), and their whole MO is trying to get over or hustle. And that is Majority of the Black NYers I know. NO BS. Theyre in the same boat or worst off as the black southerners who you claim are barely getting by and complacent.

See the thing with black NYers, they like to use the success and glamour of Manhattan, and use that as a representation of their lifestyles when in fact MAJORITY of the black people up there are in no better of a situation than the blacks down south. Education, lifestyle, money situation, diet etc. is all the same.

Old 04-07-2011, 09:02 AM

159 posts, read 279,627 times
I do notice how the majority of black northerners live in housing projects while below the Mason-Dixon line its the opposite, or at least 50/50.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.