Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2011, 01:55 PM

3,340 posts, read 9,690,476 times

Advertisements

Any house built before WW2 can have the distinction of being called "Old". And the words dense and suburban typically don't go together.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2011, 02:22 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raphael07 View Post
Any house built before WW2 can have the distinction of being called "Old". And the words dense and suburban typically don't go together.
You can have dense suburbs compared to less dense suburbs found in ex-urbs or smaller towns.

Old 04-04-2011, 02:54 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,019,978 times
What kind of number are you talking about for population density? How many people per square mile? Just like we don't all agree on about the cutoff for small towns with population number, need clarification on what you consider to be a dense population. How many people per square mile?

I live in a town with a population of 29,330 as of this last 2010 census but my town has extremely low population density (343 people per square mile), comparatively speaking, because it sits on 85.5 square miles of land.

This compared to the town I used to live in that had a population less than where I live now but only sat on 5.02 miles of land and has a population density of 4,165 people per square mile.

I like the freedom of driving, just taking off on a whim, and being able to get out of town quickly/easily. That's what I like most about suburbia. I like that I park in lots, not parallel park, something I haven't done since my road test 35+ years ago.

But to compare a dense suburbia to a less dense suburbia, I need to know at what number you draw the line.

And BTW, my town has a lot of homes built during WWII.

Old 04-04-2011, 03:07 PM

4,932 posts, read 12,763,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
What kind of number are you talking about for population density? How many people per square mile? Just like we don't all agree on about the cutoff for small towns with population number, need clarification on what you consider to be a dense population. How many people per square mile?

I live in a town with a population of 29,330 as of this last 2010 census but my town has extremely low population density (343 people per square mile), comparatively speaking, because it sits on 85.5 square miles of land.

This compared to the town I used to live in that had a population less than where I live now but only sat on 5.02 miles of land and has a population density of 4,165 people per square mile.

I like the freedom of driving, just taking off on a whim, and being able to get out of town quickly/easily. That's what I like most about suburbia. I like that I park in lots, not parallel park, something I haven't done since my road test 35+ years ago.

But to compare a dense suburbia to a less dense suburbia, I need to know at what number you draw the line.

And BTW, my town has a lot of homes built during WWII.
3,000ppl per square mile would be dense suburban.

Last edited by the city; 04-04-2011 at 03:32 PM..

Old 04-19-2011, 12:22 AM

929 posts, read 1,904,059 times
What I most like about inner suburbia is that it is the new frontier of racial diversity and immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.