Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2007, 07:34 PM

233 posts, read 904,054 times

Advertisements

Rakim
Big Daddy Kane
KRS One
MC Lyte
Run DMC
LL Cool J
Nas
Biggie
Tupac,

Just to name a few....are timeless rappers, because of their unique flow, style, and delivery. Without announcing their names, I know exactly when I am listening to one of them.

Too many rappers from the South sound too similar and many of their beats are extremely similar. Where's the art in that? -
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2007, 07:40 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,623,054 times
Biggie is my favorite out of those artisits you listed.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:39 PM

20,500 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzeeboy View Post
Like, i said before...not everyone from that region is good. Also like i said... there are talented artists outside that area. I never used absolutes like everyone or all, i always used majorities like most or a handful. Of course there gonna be some corny songs that come from the NE but the south and most other areas are 85% trash. scarface, outkast, kanye, hi tek, main flow, common, 2pac and others all have skillz outside that area. And when east and west beefed it wasnt cause NY was criticizing other regions for not having skill. do you think MOST hip hop coming from other areas is really that good??
In the mainstream, no area is pumping out anything that good. This includes New York. If you listen to the underground, then yes, every region is pumping out with good hip hop. You can go from K-Otix in the south to Immortal Technique in the north to Vakill in the Midwest to Rass Kass out West. They are out there. But when you say 85% of the south. Have you heard every rapper from the south? Have you heard Mojoe, Bavu Blakes, Verbal Seed, Strange Fruit Project, Little Brother, Cunninlynguists, Mac, Playa Fly, Supastition, Tight Man, PPT, and more. Have you heard more than 3 of those? If not, then you can't throw out that 85% so loosely. I agree with you that the south is putting out the most garbage in the mainstream. But that is not our fault. Blame the record companies for not wanting to hear substance and quality.

Old 08-02-2007, 08:46 PM

23 posts, read 123,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYnowNC View Post
Rakim
Big Daddy Kane
KRS One
MC Lyte
Run DMC
LL Cool J
Nas
Biggie
Tupac,

Just to name a few....are timeless rappers, because of their unique flow, style, and delivery. Without announcing their names, I know exactly when I am listening to one of them.

Too many rappers from the South sound too similar and many of their beats are extremely similar. Where's the art in that? -

Sooo right my man...some more of my fav timeless rappers:

Big L
Pun
Tribe
Kool G Rap
Redman
Ghost

Heres a good question- Which boro has the best rappers? Obviously the bx is home to the founders, but who has produced the best mcs so far??

Old 08-02-2007, 08:55 PM

23 posts, read 123,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spade View Post
In the mainstream, no area is pumping out anything that good. This includes New York. If you listen to the underground, then yes, every region is pumping out with good hip hop. You can go from K-Otix in the south to Immortal Technique in the north to Vakill in the Midwest to Rass Kass out West. They are out there. But when you say 85% of the south. Have you heard every rapper from the south? Have you heard Mojoe, Bavu Blakes, Verbal Seed, Strange Fruit Project, Little Brother, Cunninlynguists, Mac, Playa Fly, Supastition, Tight Man, PPT, and more. Have you heard more than 3 of those? If not, then you can't throw out that 85% so loosely. I agree with you that the south is putting out the most garbage in the mainstream. But that is not our fault. Blame the record companies for not wanting to hear substance and quality.

Yea, 85 is just a number a threw out and there is no fact to back that up. Ive never heard of any of those groups. Any of them any good?? No doubt its the record label fault. They are tryin to make a buck and know people will buy that kinda music. Thats why i never do. i wont give them my 15 bucks.
ghost(Theodre Unit), Kweli and few others are the only ones puttin out good music that havent turned in pop rap.

Old 08-02-2007, 09:17 PM

74 posts, read 371,442 times
I think part of the reason ATL and other southern cities don't capture real hip hop music is because those southern cities have no history. NY has tons of history with hip hop and the south doesn't. The new artists just want the money but artists like 'Pac and them were rapping because it was their way of life and their escape outta the ghetto.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:19 AM

20,500 posts, read 33,299,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CantonzOwn View Post
I think part of the reason ATL and other southern cities don't capture real hip hop music is because those southern cities have no history. NY has tons of history with hip hop and the south doesn't. The new artists just want the money but artists like 'Pac and them were rapping because it was their way of life and their escape outta the ghetto.
yeah. Paul Wall was on sirius talking about just making that money and he's only in the game to do that. I wanted to slap him for that. He's in the genre for all the wrong reasons. Just ignorance.But most of the time, when people are dissing the south. It is mostly about Atlanta. No hate on them because they've had artists like Ludacris and Outkast come out. But seriously, the d4l's the soulja boi's, the dj unks, the shop boyz, the ying yang twins. All a product of Atlanta and I don't know how that happened when Outkast is from the same city.

And jerzeeboy. That's why it's great to have soulseek.d/l it, don't like it, delete it, like it, go out and buy it. But yeah, I can count on my hand (notice how singular that word is) how many cd's I've bought over the past 5 years.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:23 AM

What were they?

Old 08-03-2007, 09:30 AM

2,138 posts, read 6,295,787 times
Spade,

Speaking of Texas and Atlanta rappers, that new UGK song with Outkast, "International Players Anthem", is the hip hop song of the year in my opinion. The video is brilliant as well.

Old 08-03-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by south-to-west View Post
Spade,

Speaking of Texas and Atlanta rappers, that new UGK song with Outkast, "International Players Anthem", is the hip hop song of the year in my opinion. The video is brilliant as well.
I heard the beat for that song its pretty tight.I don't like UGK or Outkast through.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.