U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Closed Thread Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2011, 10:32 AM
 
6,395 posts, read 11,736,373 times
Reputation: 3227

Advertisements

I have lived in both Washington state and New York state so:

The best areas of Washington:

-Seattle
-The vast areas of the Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges
-Areas of the Puget sound
-Some areas of the Washington pacific coast
-Bellingham
-Olympia
-Port Townsend
-Ellensburg
-Leavenworth
-Chelan
- Some of the semi-desert areas around Ellensburg/Chelan/Leavenworth
-San Juan islands
-Bellevue
-Spokane

The worst areas of Washington:
-Yakima
-Most of the towns between Seattle and Tacoma
-Aberdeen
-Some areas of the Washington pacific coast
-Kennewick/Pasco/Richland Tri cities


The best areas of New York state:
-New York City
-The southern coastline/beaches/and beach towns of Southern Long Island
-Areas of the Adirondacks and Catskills.
- Areas of the Hudson Valley in upstate NY between NYC and Albany.
-Ithaca

The worst areas of New York state
-Rochester
-Syracuse
-Buffalo
-Alfred
-Utica
-Parts of Central Long Island near Queens/Brooklyn
Rate this post positively

 
Old 04-17-2011, 08:54 PM
 
1,592 posts, read 3,125,511 times
Reputation: 2146
Alright, I'll bite, this thread could be interesting.

The only state I can really comment on is Oregon, although I've only been to some of these places.

Obviously, Portland and it's suburbs is the most populated and affluent part of the state.

The Willamette Valley, south of Portland along 1-5 has some of the nicer areas, like Corvallis and Eugene, and some of the less well liked areas like Salem and Albany. None of these places are 100% good or bad, certainly they are all debatable.

Ashland and a few small towns in Southern Oregon are well thought of, but much of the area isn't so much. Same with Bend in Eastern Oregon, it is fairly affluent but most of the region is small and rural and poor.

Areas along the coast are mostly well liked, except I've heard bad things about Coos Bay and Brookings. Oregon doesn't really have any majorly horrible areas, the state is sparsely populated and doesn't have any large or urban clusters of poverty and deprivation. Most of the least liked places are pretty small.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-17-2011, 09:09 PM
 
Location: Seattle
7,455 posts, read 7,510,929 times
Reputation: 10473
I grew up in Indiana, so this one's a no-brainer:

Worst Areas:

Gary
Hammond
East Chicago
Parts of Indianapolis
Muncie
Terre Haute

I chose these cities mostly due to crime, pollution, poverty, etc. though more so the first three than the last three

Best Areas:

The rest of the Chicago metro area in Indiana, which includes:

Southern Lake County -- home to several relatively affluent Chicago suburbs
Porter County (though being from there I'm a little biased)
^^ I consider these areas the best due to the proximity to Chicago, the Dunes Nat'l Lakeshore, and
the beaches/wineries in SW Michigan

Also:

Hamilton County -- suburban Indy, most affluent county in IN
Bloomington -Home of IU -- very green/progressive city by Indiana standards
Indianapolis
Ft. Wayne
Brown County//Hoosier Nat'l Forest
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-17-2011, 11:50 PM
 
Location: Florida
7,697 posts, read 13,599,782 times
Reputation: 10415
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1208 View Post
Alright, I'll bite, this thread could be interesting.

The only state I can really comment on is Oregon, although I've only been to some of these places.

Obviously, Portland and it's suburbs is the most populated and affluent part of the state.

The Willamette Valley, south of Portland along 1-5 has some of the nicer areas, like Corvallis and Eugene, and some of the less well liked areas like Salem and Albany. None of these places are 100% good or bad, certainly they are all debatable.

Ashland and a few small towns in Southern Oregon are well thought of, but much of the area isn't so much. Same with Bend in Eastern Oregon, it is fairly affluent but most of the region is small and rural and poor.

Areas along the coast are mostly well liked, except I've heard bad things about Coos Bay and Brookings. Oregon doesn't really have any majorly horrible areas, the state is sparsely populated and doesn't have any large or urban clusters of poverty and deprivation. Most of the least liked places are pretty small.

I guess we all see things in our own ways and thats fine. I think if we are native to an area we may see things differently than outsiders. I find Oregon beautiful in its georgraphy and I sincerely mean that. Breathtaking scenery in this state. However I find much of this state has strong overtones of Appalachia. With a very high percentage of poverty and crime especially Property and Drug related crimes. I find Oregon is very divided and definitely segregated by class and income, especially the only major city Portland.


Definitely a beautiful region of America though.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-18-2011, 02:23 PM
 
Location: Lafayette, Louisiana
302 posts, read 578,833 times
Reputation: 255
Out of the Places I've lived in, Fauquier county, Va, and mainly the surrounding region was by far the best place to live. Apart from the magnificent scenery and landscape of the Appalachian Mountains, the Shenandoah valley, and the many Apple and Peach Orchards, living was quite comfortable and the people quite friendly.

The next place is nowhere near the top of my list is Lafayette, La. where I currently reside at the moment. It's a decent, clean city with a good economy. The local cuisine is great and there are friendly people, but that is about it for this town.

Go southeast and it really goes downhill from New Iberia to Morgan City and all the towns in between. They're mostly dirty little farm towns with a drug problem and an atmosphere of laziness and depression among the locals. The towns in between include: Charenton, Baldwin, Franklin, Jeanerette, Garden City, Patterson, Bayou Vista and Burrek, La.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-18-2011, 02:25 PM
 
Location: Scotland
431 posts, read 605,345 times
Reputation: 407
Best: Hungry Horse, MT

Worst: Chicago, IL
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-18-2011, 04:51 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
10,040 posts, read 20,137,867 times
Reputation: 12807
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thepastpresentandfuture View Post
I have lived in both Washington state and New York state so:

The best areas of Washington:

-Seattle
-The vast areas of the Cascade and Olympic mountain ranges
-Areas of the Puget sound
-Some areas of the Washington pacific coast
-Bellingham
-Olympia
-Port Townsend
-Ellensburg
-Leavenworth
-Chelan
- Some of the semi-desert areas around Ellensburg/Chelan/Leavenworth
-San Juan islands
-Bellevue
-Spokane

The worst areas of Washington:
-Yakima
-Most of the towns between Seattle and Tacoma
-Aberdeen
-Some areas of the Washington pacific coast
-Kennewick/Pasco/Richland Tri cities
I agree with 90% of this. Aberdeen paints a clear picture of what must have inspired Kurt Cobains suicide. A city that never gets above 80 in the summer, where gloom and clouds seem pervasive 300+ days out of the year. A once productive timber and lumber port now stifled in the darkness. It's probably the most depressing place in all the Pacific Northwest.

One thing you might not know, on the Pacific Coast of WA is LaPush, one of the best! It's a magical place, walking on the beach with huge monlith rocks, the rain forest, and Olympic National Park on the edge of town, It's a spectacular place that can elate your spirit even if it's cloudy if you open your mind to it.


Other best & worst of WA

Best..

-North Cascades National Park
-Mount Rainier..duh!
-Winthrop and the Okanagan Region (north central WA)
-LaPush & Neah Bay
-Yakima Valley wine region (not the city of Yakima)
-North Bend/Snoqualmie


Worst..

-Lakewood and South Tacoma!!!
-Chehalis and Centralia (like having the Kentucky bible belt in the state of WA)

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 04-18-2011 at 05:09 PM..
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-18-2011, 05:06 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
10,040 posts, read 20,137,867 times
Reputation: 12807
Best and worst of Massachusetts

Best..

-Most of the North Shore (best towns Salem, Ipswich, Plum Island, Gloucester/Rockport, Newburyport)
-Cape Cod, best part of the Cape is the Outer cape from Orleans/Wellfleet out to PTown and the National Seashore
-Martha’s Vineyard & Nantucket
-Boston & Cambridge
-The Berkshire Hills
-Northampton/Amherst
-Plymouth

Worst...

-Springfield ...the worst!
-Lawrence
-Fitchburg and Gardner
-Chelsea, Revere, & Lynn
-Brockton

Mediocre..

Most of the towns and cities along I-495, and Central Mass.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-18-2011, 05:12 PM
 
Location: Victoria TX
42,661 posts, read 78,558,068 times
Reputation: 36332
Houston and Dallas by far the worst. Just about any other city, not so bad.

Texas has several pretty nice cities, including Galveston and Corpus Christi. If I had to live in a million-plus metro, the Rio Grande Valley (McAllen Brownsville Harlingen) would really be the nicest place in America to live, people are friendly, cost of living low, traffic is not too bad, even though over a million people in the two-county metro.
Rate this post positively
 
Old 04-18-2011, 05:28 PM
 
Location: northern Vermont - previously NM, WA, & MA
10,040 posts, read 20,137,867 times
Reputation: 12807
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtur88 View Post
Houston and Dallas by far the worst. Just about any other city, not so bad.

Texas has several pretty nice cities, including Galveston and Corpus Christi. If I had to live in a million-plus metro, the Rio Grande Valley (McAllen Brownsville Harlingen) would really be the nicest place in America to live, people are friendly, cost of living low, traffic is not too bad, even though over a million people in the two-county metro.
I'll admit I don't have a lot of room to speak with my candid opinions but somehow saying Dallas and Houston are the worst and everything else is better with the RGV being the Best just might warrant some fierce opposition, especially when discussing Texas. You probably don't care, but the post just made me chuckle.
Rate this post positively
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.



All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2021, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top