Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 12:07 AM

7,743 posts, read 15,871,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironcouger View Post
Try anywhere in the evergreen state Washington State Seattle , Spokake , Tacoma, Bellevue. All have lots of trees
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbtxgal View Post
TREEs, TREEs I need Trees... tired of concrete! Where is the best city pop @ least 15k that has nice weather (4 seasons & SUN,snow), mountains, rivers and LOTS OF TREES!!! I want to see them in my yard, on the way to store, everywhere!!! Mostly any type of pine, redwood, cedar etc. I visited my family in Oregon and love the trees in their front yard..but not the weather. ANY Suggestions????
Seattle/Tacoma/Bellevue isn't going to be any better in terms of how OP relates to the weather. Spokane (and anywhere Eastern WA and Eastern OR) OTOH could.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 04:01 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
Quote:
TREEs, TREEs I need Trees... tired of concrete! Where is the best city pop @ least 15k that has nice weather (4 seasons & SUN,snow), mountains, rivers and LOTS OF TREES!!! I want to see them in my yard, on the way to store, everywhere!!! Mostly any type of pine, redwood, cedar etc. I visited my family in Oregon and love the trees in their front yard..but not the weather. ANY Suggestions???? Side note I can't afford most Cali cities...too pricey.
What was it about Oregon weather you disliked?

The following thread may help you.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...ot-forest.html

Arkansas, the Carolinas, Georgia, Virginia, and West Virginia I think are all at least somewhat different than Oregon in climate. I think they also are generally cheaper than most of California. (The part of Virginia near DC I think is pretty pricey though)

Asheville, North Carolina looks like it has a fair amount of trees and is listed as below average for cost-of-living. Boone also might fit, but it might be too small.

//www.city-data.com/city/Ashevi...-Carolina.html
//www.city-data.com/city/Boone-North-Carolina.html

Rome, Georgia looks to be near a forest and somewhat cheap.

//www.city-data.com/city/Rome-Georgia.html

Russellville, Arkansas looks to be real cheap and near the Ozark National Forest.

//www.city-data.com/city/Russel...-Arkansas.html

Old 05-28-2011, 09:17 AM

27,566 posts, read 28,665,617 times
Quote:
TREEs, TREEs I need Trees... tired of concrete! Where is the best city pop @ least 15k that has nice weather (4 seasons & SUN,snow), mountains, rivers and LOTS OF TREES!!! I want to see them in my yard, on the way to store, everywhere!!! Mostly any type of pine, redwood, cedar etc. I visited my family in Oregon and love the trees in their front yard..but not the weather. ANY Suggestions???? Side note I can't afford most Cali cities...too pricey.
4 season weather with lots of trees and rivers, and mountains nearby?

East coast.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:21 AM

7,943 posts, read 17,254,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metro Matt View Post
East Texas or anywhere else in the Great Pine Belt of the Southeastern United States.
Yeah the Southeastern United States, especially closer to the coast, have a lot of pines. The Appalachian area is more hardwood oak/hickory.

Old 05-28-2011, 01:09 PM

11 posts, read 56,875 times
How about Bend, OR? It's in the middle of the state on the other side of the mountains so the weather is a lot drier, 4 seasons, mountains, lakes, river etc. The east side of town is drier and has Juniper trees (gross) but the westside of town has a lot of Pine trees.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/e/e5/DesD0054b.jpg (broken link)

Old 05-29-2011, 12:05 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
I seem to recall when I was researching places to live in retirement that Gainesville, Fl has some kind of tree replacement law. I could be wrong but I thought it had something to do with every tree taken down as a result of developing has to be replaced. I don't know why but Gainesville and trees just sticks in my mind.

"In 1996, the City Commission budget funded "Tree-mendous Gainesville," setting a goal of establishing 1,000 new trees annually on city streets and in our parks."

Our trees define Gainesville | Gainesville.com

Old 05-29-2011, 12:52 PM

12 posts, read 15,310 times
How bout Waynesville, NC? //www.city-data.com/city/Waynes...-Carolina.html

I've been looking for a similar thing (sun, trees, four seasons, less expensive than CA) and have done my own independent research, and amazing how good these forum replies are! Here's the rest of my list, with a lot already mentioned!

Bend, OR
Grants Pass, OR (maybe too wet, though considerably drier than portland)
Coeur d'Alene, ID / Spokane, WA
Boone, NC
Epping, NH (may be too pricey, but sunny for NH, and what an autumn!)
Glenwood Springs, CO

Old 05-29-2011, 05:20 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,619,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Michigan, Wisconsin and Minnesota, escpecially the northern parts. There are no mountains, but much of the upper midwest is covered in woodland. Needless to say water is everywhere in those states. Traverse city Michigan is a very nice place to look if you like small places.

The Porcupine Mountains are at the western end of the U.P.

Old 05-29-2011, 05:29 PM

229 posts, read 520,820 times
Charlotte, NC! If you do not like a lot of trees, then you will hate Charlotte. But if you like lots of trees then you will Love Charlotte. Trees, trees, everywhere! Charlotte (or Greensboro, or Raleigh) is your place.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:18 PM

3,072 posts, read 8,023,882 times
I guess everyone has there own opinion about trees and forests. I live near mega forests in Louisiana. I don't care being surrounded by trees so much myself as we have been contending with fires for much of the year and the tornadoes and winds blow them down onto peoples homes.

While they are pretty to look at and certainly important in the ecosystem, they can create havoc. Californians have trouble when the woods catch on fire out there and I am always sad for them.

OTOH, my wife and her sister own some timber plots which can provide a pretty check when it is time to cut
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.