Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 09:42 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,684,988 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by garmin239 View Post
I really hate this. Whenever I'm in NJ for work, it takes me A LOT longer to fill up my tank. Much of the time the attendant is slow..... much of the time I have to wait for the attendant to take care of other customers. It's a real pain.
and we're supposed to be the rush rush folks.

people who don't live here care more about this "quirk" than we do it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2011, 11:13 AM

1,299 posts, read 2,539,611 times
Can someone explain to me the purpose of the laws that don't allow you to pump your own gas? Is it basically a "jobs program" like someone above mentioned?

(And I can't see how it doesn't affect the price of gas -- who pays for the people that pump your gas?)

It seems silly to make pumping your own gas actually illegal.

Old 04-19-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DynamoLA View Post
Can someone explain to me the purpose of the laws that don't allow you to pump your own gas? Is it basically a "jobs program" like someone above mentioned?

(And I can't see how it doesn't affect the price of gas -- who pays for the people that pump your gas?)

It seems silly to make pumping your own gas actually illegal.
as I said, NJ has some of the lowest gas prices in the nation.

It goes back about 60 years when pumping gas was considered a more dangerous activity than now. The people of NJ (and I assume OR) don't want self serve (it's been brought up several times for dissolution), and have pressured law makers into keeping the law intact. It also benefits the disabled and does provide jobs.

I've stated personally why I don't mind full serve..and to reiterate, people who live out of state really seem to be much more bothered by it than those who actually live here. In my entire life, have never had a conversation (for or against) IRL with people in state about this law. It's a non issue.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:20 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Do you tip a gas attendant? I remember when I used to go to this full service station (which was the only station around), I always felt pressured to tip the person, especially in the winter. I hated the tip situation...especially since I'd rather pump the gas myself.

Old 04-19-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Do you tip a gas attendant? I remember when I used to go to this full service station (which was the only station around), I always felt pressured to tip the person, especially in the winter. I hated the tip situation...especially since I'd rather pump the gas myself.
no.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:01 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,301,334 times
Some stations in Houston are like that. The guy scared the hell outta me when he came to my car. I avoid those stations now.

Old 04-19-2011, 01:26 PM

5,546 posts, read 6,872,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tahiti View Post
no.
Do you think it matters if it's a state that doesn't have mandatory pumping laws, but happens to have selective full service stations?

Old 04-19-2011, 08:10 PM

1,638 posts, read 3,638,103 times
It's an inane and silly law for which NJ and OR deserve the embarassment and ridicule they are begging for.

In New Jersey, it's mostly kept around due to (surprise) union influence. Over time, people have become complacent. Most in NJ who are opposed to legalizing it are lazy (don't want to bother pumping their own), arrogant/entitled (think pumping gas is beneath them), or just general morons (I've had dozens tell me they don't "know how" to pump it when in other states).

It's pathetic.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJNEOA View Post
Do you think it matters if it's a state that doesn't have mandatory pumping laws, but happens to have selective full service stations?
I don't know what you mean.

Old 04-21-2011, 10:00 AM

88,560 posts, read 84,755,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
In Oregon the attendant will come up to you and tell you its not allowed. Im not from Oregon originally and use to pumping my own gas. Fortunately I live in Portland and Vancouver, Wa is only 10 minutes away and I buy and pump my own gas there.

In Oregon there is always a line waiting for an attendant to pump your gas. Its a big production just to get gas here much of the time. Its just another show of the arrogance, and controlling type of mindset in this state. I believe pumping ones gas has been on the ballot here 9 times, and has been voted down each time.

I always wondered about NJ with this law. That seems like a state that is rush rush, and wouldn't have the time or desire to wait for the attendant to pump the gas.
Rolling down the window and saying "$20 cash regular" is a lot faster than getting out of the car and messing with a gas pump. The attendants are usually right there. If they aren't, we send 'em back to India and get replacements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.