Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2011, 06:00 PM

4,603 posts, read 6,366,715 times

Advertisements

Jkgourmet....and others who scoff at the mention of water and fishing in Yuma....have you investigated what there is to offer ? Just google "fishing in yuma" "boating in yuma". It may not be Wisconsin or Minnesota, but the Sahara it ain't....

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2011, 11:20 PM

3,032 posts, read 5,265,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Jkgourmet....and others who scoff at the mention of water and fishing in Yuma....have you investigated what there is to offer ? Just google "fishing in yuma" "boating in yuma". It may not be Wisconsin or Minnesota, but the Sahara it ain't....

Regards
Gemstone1
I live in AZ, and the only thing I know about Yuma is there is a train that leaves at 3:10 to there from somewhere

Old 09-08-2011, 01:42 AM

854 posts, read 1,704,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post

Regards
Gemstone1

I don't see how anyone can stand the summer heat there.

Old 09-08-2011, 03:07 AM

67 posts, read 167,042 times
I agree with Rwarky, NC gets VERY humid. I was actually shocked at how humid all of Eastern NC actually gets. We didn't last long because of it.

Old 10-08-2012, 07:37 PM

19,437 posts, read 27,844,220 times
Somebody gave me rep points for one of my posts on this thread, so it came to my attention that I neglected to update it.

In the end, we visited Wilmington, NC but found it to be just too small for us. Too much of a culture shock to relocate from the fifth largest city in the country to such a small city. Additionally, single story homes are few and far between.

We spent two days in Raleigh / Durham / Cary and knew it was a better fit. We are currently building a home in Brier Creek Country Club, and have been living in an apartment in the area since June. It's wonderful and we are quickly growing to love our new home.

Old 12-04-2012, 12:24 PM

11 posts, read 23,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Somebody gave me rep points for one of my posts on this thread, so it came to my attention that I neglected to update it.

In the end, we visited Wilmington, NC but found it to be just too small for us. Too much of a culture shock to relocate from the fifth largest city in the country to such a small city. Additionally, single story homes are few and far between.

We spent two days in Raleigh / Durham / Cary and knew it was a better fit. We are currently building a home in Brier Creek Country Club, and have been living in an apartment in the area since June. It's wonderful and we are quickly growing to love our new home.
We had considered that area (we are currently in Sedona, AZ) and had thought it might be too humid.

But cost of living much better I hear.

HOW IS THE HUMIDITY THERE ?

Old 12-04-2012, 05:58 PM

510 posts, read 889,234 times
Might look at South Padre Island in Texas. The daily breeze is generally seabreeze from the southeast, so the humidity basically goes unnoticed (wind chill?) but not cold. It would be about 85 degrees on the island, but close to 100-105 inland 10 miles.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:04 PM

510 posts, read 889,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Ummm, not to be rude - but water? Fishing? I think not.
Actually, NM has some fishing spots. The Rio Grande north of Albuquerque (think Ranchos de Taos and Taos) has some trout fishing. Truth or Consequences, NM has Elephant Butte Reservoir which has all kinds of boating and fishing (some big catfish down there). And up around Farmington on the San Juan River the river has small dams that don't really affect fish passage, but create some deep, cold pools that allow the trout in the region to grow larger than most other areas.

Old 12-19-2012, 12:19 PM

11 posts, read 23,491 times
We have spent years trying to find a moderate dry climate between 40-85 degrees with lower humidity that East of the Rockies ... only coastal California fits the bills and we cannot afford it, also we read of gangs, taxes, congestions, pollution, crime, etc. Move inland and it gets very hot or polluted.

Phoenix is cheaper than most places but the summers are unbearable for us. The climate in Sedona is near perfect, but too expensive for the long term in older age and you can have July and August here, too hot.

And there is very LITTLE FISHING here in AZ. I grew up in upstate NY and my wife grew up in Minnesota ... very spoiled in that regard ... so ...

We have decided to explore Central and South America where the cost of living is 1/4 - 1/3 of the US, more areas with better climate. Not as convenient as the US, but when one tries to get by on a tad more than social security, it is starting to look very very attractive to us. Land is cheap and fishing is great in many places. Now on to learning Spanish ~ and figuring out a way to fly our horses there.

We figured in the long run if we sell everything and move there, we can have a much better life style and be much more happy than here in the US on just S S.

Old 12-21-2012, 01:57 PM

18,471 posts, read 31,643,914 times
I am retiring to Palm Springs California.
I have been there several times and that's where I want to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.