Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:03 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,213,400 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by milquetoast View Post
NYPhilly. Or...PhillyNy. Or, PhillyNilly. Don't stretchhhh
The most populous metro in the usa and the 5th most populous metro in the usa.

Logic would dictate that the most populous metros will also be among the most dangerous.

The wealthiest metro in the usa and the 4th wealthiest metro in the usa.

You take the good with the bad.

Old 07-31-2007, 08:04 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,392,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
And sometimes more of the entertainment is in other parts of the metro too.
I've found it to generally be the case with cities like Detroit, Cleveland, and St. Louis. As I have said before countless times, THERE IS MUCH MORE TO A CITY BESIDES ITS DOWNTOWN AND IMMEDIATELY SURROUNDING AREAS!!!!!

Old 07-31-2007, 08:08 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,653,873 times
afj131 you got me thinking more about the metro areas now.Downtowns are nice,but I've found the burbs have more entertainment than the actual city.Alot of malls are located outside of major cities.

Old 08-01-2007, 09:01 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
Brooklyn has really brought up the crime rate this year in NYC though. With so many NYPD Officers leaving, there’s not enough in the bad areas to keep the crime low. Out of 100 new FDNY Firefighters, almost 90 of them were former NYPD Officers. The rest are going to Suffolk and Nassau County Police. If NYPD doesn’t get its act together, we can expect to see NY coming back to the top for crime. Brooklyn North’s homicides have risen 64% in the past 2 years.

NY Post article from a couple months ago...
SURGE IN SLAYINGS SHOCKS BROOKLYN | By BRAD HAMILTON | New York News | New York City News | NY News

Old 08-01-2007, 09:09 AM

2,787 posts, read 11,498,698 times
LA County Sheriffs plan to make Compton safer. Hopefully it'll work. ADVANCED SURVEILLANCE AND PROTECTION PLAN (http://64.233.167.104/search?q=cache:R5MMlintSssJ:www.comptonasap.com/public_ASAP.pdf+compton+is+safer&hl=en&ct=clnk&cd= 5&gl=us - broken link)

Old 08-01-2007, 09:14 AM

FutureCop Cleveland has that same problem.There way short on police in Cleveland,and the crime continues to get higher each year.Thats not good for a city thats losing population at the rate Cleveland is to actually increase in homicides.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:50 AM

Quote:
FutureCop Cleveland has that same problem.There way short on police in Cleveland,and the crime continues to get higher each year.Thats not good for a city thats losing population at the rate Cleveland is to actually increase in homicides.
Cleveland did not make the list of the most dangerous metros though. I was surprised to find that the town my grandmother lived in during her final years, Alexandria, Louisiana, had such a bad crime problem....it made among the most dangerous metros. Other cities that made that list I believe were Memphis and Nashville. Believe it or not, in this situation, if I were picking between Memphis and Nashville and Detroit, Cleveland, or St. Louis, I would pick one of the latter three because while crime may occur in greater numbers in the latter three cities, it occurs in contained pockets. A dangerous metro IMO is far worse than a dangerous city because in a dangerous metro, there's no escaping crime. At least in the Midwest cities you generally can avoid crime rather easily by just staying out of the bad areas. For dangerous metros, you are far less safe IMO.

Old 08-01-2007, 11:55 AM

Chicago probably has more dangerous suburbs than Cleveland and St. Louis,and maybe even Detroit too.Detroit and Chicago are really big metros,so of course they'll have more dangerous suburbs than Cleveland and St. Louis.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Chicago probably has more dangerous suburbs than Cleveland and St. Louis,and maybe even Detroit too.Detroit and Chicago are really big metros,so of course they'll have more dangerous suburbs than Cleveland and St. Louis.
Chicago as far as I know is relatively safe everywhere but the South side. I'm also not sure how East Chicago/Gary, IN are doing...I know at one point they were HORRIBLY crime-ridden. The Northern suburbs of Chicago I know tend to be the safe ones. The South side of Chicago i'm pretty sure is where the ghettos are.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Actually, the surprising thing is Chicago did not make the most dangerous metros list either, nor did New York...which kind of surprises me. Miami did though I've actually noticed that a lot of the Southern cities tend to have the more dangerous metros.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.