Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 12:56 PM

6,558 posts, read 12,040,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate_lafitte View Post
Everyone has forgotten Atlanta. Atlanta itself has had many murders this year and not just inside the city either. Look at some of the suburbs.
Actually, Atlanta MSA is ranked #100 out of 310, which isn't bad. San Diego MSA is ranked #130. San Diego proper is ranked one of the safest cities in the United States (at the opposite end of the rankings from Atlanta proper), but it's metro area is almost comparable with Atlanta's.

2006 Metro Area Violent Crime Rates

The reason why Atlanta proper has a high crime rate per capita is because less than 500,000 people live within the city limits, which is less than 10% of the entire metro Atlanta area of about 5.1 million people.

That list in general is surprising because you'll see some other metro areas where their central cities have a lot of crime, but their metro areas are safe, like Cincinnati or Tampa.

Old 11-12-2007, 01:02 PM

2,247 posts, read 7,027,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I get the impression that where you have a quickly-growing population, as in many metros in the South and the Southwest, there tends to be a lot of crime. In some of the older cities in the Northeast and Midwest, there are run-down, dangerous areas, but the crime rates in the entire metros would tend to be lower because many of the suburbs are established, stable communities, unlike many new cities with transient, shifting populations in the Sun Belt.
I agree. Many of the established cities have mostly affluent suburbs.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:37 AM

146 posts, read 797,374 times
I found this study by ICD (funded by NIJ) to be of great interest. In case you don't want to read what it's about, I will give you a basic rundown.

Rather than just looking at raw data of homicides per capita, the ICD also took demographics into account. Here is what they say about their methodology:

Homrate = a + b1(Disadvan) + b2(Pop) + b3(Same Res) + b4(Divrate), where

Homrate = Homicides per 100,000 city residents (natural log)

Disadvan = A factor representing the level of social and economic disadvantage that combines five highly intercorrelated variables (factor loadings in parentheses): the poverty rate (.934), male unemployment rate (.888), % black (.839), % female-headed families w/own children under 18 (.928), and median family income (-.862)
Pop = City population in 2000 Census (natural log)
Same Res = % persons living in same residence 5 or more years
Divrate = % persons age 15 and over divorced

As you can see, the demographics that often lead a city to have crime (sad about the African-American part though) are all taken into consideration. Anyway, here's a rundown of the rankings, followed by the full report (there are 67 cities ranked, I only list 10).

Most Homicides (with demographics taken into consideration):
01 - San Francisco (WTF?)
02 - Washington, D.C.
03 - New Orleans
04 - Baltimore
05 - Kansas City
06 - Denver
07 - Oakland
08 - Minneapolis
09 - Phoenix
10 - Dallas

Here's the report: http://www2.gsu.edu/~crirxf/HomRates-2005-12-06-Score.pdf

It's rather reputable, but what do you all think of this?

Old 11-13-2007, 08:38 AM

2,869 posts, read 5,135,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOR View Post
I think it's a very interesting study, and a good attempt at isolating "abnormal" homicide rates, but central city populations were used instead of metro populations. That's why places like SF, DC or Minneapolis rank so high. We need to remember that the homicide rate is # of homicides divided by population. Thus by definition, cities that have increased their population through annexation, or that have nontrivial suburban subdivisions within city limits (San Antonio, Phoenix, Columbus OH, Charlotte) see their homicide rate go down because the population number includes a higher proportion of the metro area's safe neighborhoods.

Old 11-21-2007, 10:23 AM

9 posts, read 26,566 times
Default I concur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajf131 View Post
Detroit and New Orleans are definitely both up there.
New Orleans is mostly not very pretty. My parents have lived there through 20 years (including Katrina) of bad politics, broken city services, and ever-present crime, and although they love so much of the city, they have about had enough of the crime. Post-Katrina murders in particular are through the roof. It is a sad place. I visit there often, and support the city with my tourist dollars, but the truth is New Orleans is dying, and the criminal element is growing.

Old 02-14-2008, 06:35 PM

264 posts, read 1,151,278 times
I cant believe Memphis hasnt been mentioned!? The metro isnt so bad but the city was just ranked 4th in crime in the nation last year. The South has the most dangerous and crime-ridden areas to me, but the sad part is they have the most character. You hear so much more about the culture and character of the South, but along with the history comes crime...depressing

Old 02-14-2008, 07:29 PM

334 posts, read 1,371,354 times
I can't believe people in this thread complain about Detroit's suburbs. Have you been to them? Besides Pontiac, there all very safe. The city of Detroit and it's suburbs are two different entities BY FAR.

Old 02-14-2008, 10:15 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,826,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenOR View Post
I found this study by ICD (funded by NIJ) to be of great interest. In case you don't want to read what it's about, I will give you a basic rundown.

Rather than just looking at raw data of homicides per capita, the ICD also took demographics into account. Here is what they say about their methodology:

Homrate = a + b1(Disadvan) + b2(Pop) + b3(Same Res) + b4(Divrate), where

Homrate = Homicides per 100,000 city residents (natural log)

Disadvan = A factor representing the level of social and economic disadvantage that combines five highly intercorrelated variables (factor loadings in parentheses): the poverty rate (.934), male unemployment rate (.888), % black (.839), % female-headed families w/own children under 18 (.928), and median family income (-.862)
Pop = City population in 2000 Census (natural log)
Same Res = % persons living in same residence 5 or more years
Divrate = % persons age 15 and over divorced

As you can see, the demographics that often lead a city to have crime (sad about the African-American part though) are all taken into consideration. Anyway, here's a rundown of the rankings, followed by the full report (there are 67 cities ranked, I only list 10).

Most Homicides (with demographics taken into consideration):
01 - San Francisco (WTF?)
02 - Washington, D.C.
03 - New Orleans
04 - Baltimore
05 - Kansas City
06 - Denver
07 - Oakland
08 - Minneapolis
09 - Phoenix
10 - Dallas

Here's the report: http://www2.gsu.edu/~crirxf/HomRates-2005-12-06-Score.pdf

Kansas City is often seen as safe and St. Louis as more dangerous, but it was more dangerous than St. Louis in Morgan Quitno's most dangerous metros list.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:54 AM

11,974 posts, read 25,468,595 times
Here is an exhaustive list of violent crime rate for EVERY US metro area

Louisville 412
St Louis 544
Kansas City 614

Most dangerous:
Florence SC 1286
Detroit 1,250
Memphis 1196

Moderator cut: URL removed

Last edited by Marka; 02-17-2008 at 02:03 PM..

Old 02-15-2008, 11:24 AM

15,430 posts, read 25,804,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by censusdata View Post
Here is an exhaustive list of violent crime rate for EVERY US metro area

Louisville 412
St Louis 544
Kansas City 614

Most dangerous:
Florence SC 1286
Detroit 1,250
Memphis 1196

http://www.morganquitno.com/met05a.pdf
They have 2 numbers for Detroit. How is "greater" defined?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.