Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2012, 04:28 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,265,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~CountryBoy~ View Post
I think it's because that is the way some ignorant city folks portray "country folks" in popular culture like movies, books, and whatever. So everyone sees these stereotypes and then classifies all country folks as stupid or ignorant. It is a sad world we live in y'all.
There are ignorant people living in different places ALL over the world, not just in the city. Often times country FOLK do things that make absolutely no sense thus the reputation for being bumpkins. When I first moved to Northern Maine back in the 70's, there were still people with outside plumbing (outhouses) and an old fashioned hand pump for water either in their sinks or outside the door. Although I was not accepted with open arms when I moved up there with my ex, I did try to be friendly to everyone and never did lose that name tag of being a city snob. After I divorced my ex, I made a beeline back to the city and indoor plumbing, running water, heat and all the NORMAL stuff. Don't be so hard on city folks. Not all of us are the horrible people you portray. As a country person, why don't you start a trend that extends a hand of friendship to city people? Might be a new "thing" that will catch on, no?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2012, 10:58 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times
Probably for the same reason that a lot of country folk look down on city folk: people tend to go off of stereotypes and hearsay when it comes to things that they don't have any meaningful experience with.

I've heard plenty of people in the city deride country folk as ignorant, intolerant, stupid, mean, etc. I spent a few very large swaths of my childhood in the country - long before I ever lived in a world-class city - and I heard the same sort of stereotypical bile against urbanites: that they were ignorant, intolerant, stupid, mean, etc. Two sides of the same idiotic coin.

Old 05-10-2012, 09:06 AM

42,554 posts, read 86,928,948 times
Country folks also put themselves on a pedestal above city folks. But country folks do not control the media empires, so nobody knows what country folks think or do.

I think people who need to put their post in boldfaced colored italics are putting themselves on a pedestal above other folks.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:08 AM

10,681 posts, read 6,111,029 times
My parents moved to a rural part of temecula. Not too far from the city itself. But it's boring, I could not live there myself. It was nice while I was there, but for the most part, it got old.

We had a highly conservative neighbor who was an ex marine, and is really an outdoor's man. He's like my dad x10. All they wanna do is yard work, that's not me. They grew up different.

Funny thing is my parents are opposites. My mom is from Mexico City, my dad is from a ranch in Jalisco. I think I got more of my mom's personality in me. She' fun, likes partying, and my dad is more serious and doesn't like parties or drinking.

Old 05-10-2012, 10:21 PM

2,549 posts, read 3,977,685 times
I grew up on both sides of the fence. Based on what I see you can have stereotyping and ignorance from people in either environment. I like a balance of the city but sometimes an escape to the countryside to appreciate both. I wouldn't put myself above either but you do have some who don't care for the city or country environment. It depends on the person really. I'm an all around so I won't knock country folks or urbanites. You have nice people in the city and country but you also have ignorant rude people from either place.

The best of both world's

In the country you never know what you'll discover. You just have to escape the city to see it every now and then. Sweet tea, cheese grits, black eyed peas and corn bread along with some fried green tomatoes.

Some of the nicest architecture also exists out in the countryside outside the city.

A time to reflect

If it get's too quite you can head back into the city.

Boston for fresh bagels everything on it or great seafood

Or

New Orleans chicory coffee w/ beignets or gumbo

In PA Scrappel, Huluski and Philly Cheese Steak for those who know what I'm talking about.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:19 AM

74 posts, read 107,410 times
Default "The real America"

I think it is much more often heard in political campaigns that the "real America" is that out in the countryside and that somehow urban America which makes up by far tthe majority of people is unAmerican (and perhaps anti-American). Where were you during the last election? While stereotyping goes on everywhere, it is absurd to say that there is not at least as much hostility and stereotyping by the country folks of urbanites. Somehow the country is supposed to be cleaner and more moral, but the statistics certainly don not always back this up. Urban Massachusetts has a far lowerdivorce rate than a number of more rural states, but the stereotype is far different.

Old 05-11-2012, 10:33 AM

14,773 posts, read 21,486,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanologist View Post

In the country you never know what you'll discover. You just have to escape the city to see it every now and then. Sweet tea, cheese grits, black eyed peas and corn bread along with some fried green tomatoes.

Some of the nicest architecture also exists out in the countryside outside the city.

Are those country pictures in New England? Looks beautiful

Old 05-11-2012, 02:12 PM

6,413 posts, read 12,138,742 times
People choose to live where they do, live how they want, think what they like ... generally, because they think it's the best choice. For them. So the things they do not choose, they think of as the poorer choice. For them.

That's true for city folk, and for country folk. You're putting down only one side of the equation, and in your question ... you're even implying that the opposite is true. But it's not. Maybe for you it is, but not for everyone.

And try not to say "always." Nothing is ever "always" true.

Old 05-11-2012, 04:41 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,380,725 times
I'm sick of the urban types that think they know it all and are hipper than thou.

I'm sick of the rural types that think they've got the market cornered in morality and are holier than thou.

I've had to put up with both and it gets very tiresome. This is a culture war I want no part in and hopefully most people regardless of the environment they live in or prefer, feel that way.

Old 05-11-2012, 08:29 PM

2,171 posts, read 1,457,862 times
People say that conservative country folks and small town folks lack education and are stupid, but are inner city ghetto folks are smart and educated?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.