Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 04:42 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,863,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
People say that conservative country folks and small town folks lack education and are stupid, but are inner city ghetto folks are smart and educated?
No one says that people in the inner city ghetto are smart and educated.

But, when I lived in the sticks, I heard all sorts of bile hurled at all those big-city liberals, who think they're so smart with their degrees and their art museums. That sort of slop is the same as assuming that a guy out in the country who's reading Faulkner and Thoreau to unwind after a hard day tending to his fields is dumb solely because he's in the country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-13-2012, 09:00 AM

8,928 posts, read 14,339,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CinSonic View Post
People say that conservative country folks and small town folks lack education and are stupid, but are inner city ghetto folks are smart and educated?
You can find intelligent and open-minded people in both the country and the ghetto.

Old 10-06-2012, 07:17 AM

4,320 posts, read 5,138,285 times
When country folk (ie. like students or new hires) come to the city, THEY are usually the first to condemn their country kin. No one uses the term 'redneck' more than a country person who feels they are a bit less 'redneck' then people they know back home.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:54 PM

567 posts, read 1,120,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
When country folk (ie. like students or new hires) come to the city, THEY are usually the first to condemn their country kin. No one uses the term 'redneck' more than a country person who feels they are a bit less 'redneck' then people they know back home.
I really suspect that a lot of how city folk view country folk has to do with these transplants who come in telling tales of how crappy it was back in Cornhole, Nebraska. I remember I was 25 when I met some guy from Utah who said "one day I'd like to go back and raise a family there." My jaw dropped, literally. I told him "you're the first young person from flyover country I've ever heard say that!"

Old 10-07-2012, 05:34 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,858,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back to NE View Post
I recently met a VERY rustic guy who is very hopeful that his wife will receive a much needed liver transplant. I reassured him that here in the Southeast, people are very giving with their organs. I cautioned him not to be overly optimistic. After all, livers are not stored on shelves. My statement caused he to be more confident that she will receive her transplant. Jokingly, he asked me, "Do you know what a redneck says before he dies? Hey man, watch this!" Needless to say, I had a good laugh.

In this instance, I agree. I never judged him. However, he continually spoke ill of his ilk. In our brief encounter, I heard the term redneck more that I had literally in months, years.

Old 10-07-2012, 12:59 PM

2,488 posts, read 4,322,318 times
I find it funny how these liberal "city people" who talk about how "educated" & "open minded" they are with college degrees, a high powered career and all like to bash and make ignorant statements about southern and country people by calling them uneducated, racist, backward, dumb, close-minded etc. If they were so educated like they claim to be, they wouldn't make those type of statements. Just means they are the stupid ones.

Country people tend to be more easy going and find pleasure in simpler things. City people on the other hand tend to take more pride in their cars, being "diverse" and having a college degree. A lot of them are rude and stuck up too, which is partly why I don't want to live in a big city. Not saying this is always the case though.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:08 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I find it funny how these liberal "city people" who talk about how "educated" & "open minded" they are with college degrees, a high powered career and all like to bash and make ignorant statements about southern and country people by calling them uneducated, racist, backward, dumb, close-minded etc.
It's our culture.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:25 PM

14,773 posts, read 21,500,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ja1myn View Post
It's our culture.
Your culture sucks, whats so fun about discrimination and stereotypes? Its 2012 people

Old 10-07-2012, 01:45 PM

6,610 posts, read 9,036,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 90sman View Post
I find it funny how these liberal "city people" who talk about how "educated" & "open minded" they are with college degrees, a high powered career and all like to bash and make ignorant statements about southern and country people by calling them uneducated, racist, backward, dumb, close-minded etc. If they were so educated like they claim to be, they wouldn't make those type of statements. Just means they are the stupid ones.
True liberals ARE accepting of everyone - even those who disagree with us - and we don't stereoptype country or city folks as being better than the other. The ones that do act that way are wannabes and posers who use their education as a weapon to belittle others.

Anyone with a brain knows that intelligence is not about where/how you are born or raised, but about your capacity to learn and understand.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:06 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,831,744 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iNviNciBL3 View Post
Your culture sucks, whats so fun about discrimination and stereotypes? Its 2012 people
I was just playin'. Do Northeasterners really discriminate that much?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.