Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2011, 02:31 PM

67 posts, read 342,041 times

Advertisements

@sobe, better weather: warm, some rain, some sun, not much humidity.
Better summers: warm, sunny, not a lot of humidity, storms, but not every day, nicer outdoors climate
Sports: pro and college, and opportunities to play sports, like rec leagues.
Natural beauty: I looked at pics of both places, Washington won.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 02:50 PM

16 posts, read 116,494 times
To me there is really no contest - for overall quality of life it would have to be Denver.
I have lived 41 years in the UK, 6 years in North Denver, 2 years on the Southern California coast and nowadays I live in the Yakima West Valley.
I make quite regular trips to Seattle either by road and staying over or flying in to SeaTac airport to catch a flight to other destinations.
It all comes down to weather. Denver gets a guaranteed 300 days of sunshine per year - never does a week go by without some sunny days. In summer it gets hot but it's a dry and pleasant heat. In winter it gets cold snaps and snow (which can fall one day and be gone the next!) but never is it cold and snow bound through the whole of winter.
In terms of nice people, dog friendly, parks, zoo's, aquariums, sports teams, places to go I'd say it's pretty much a wash.
Outdoor activities - Denver - hands down unless you're highly enthusiastic about waterproof jackets and umbrellas which you will always need in Seattle.
Country/small town feel? Forget it these are both big conurbations with horrendous road traffic congestion and downtown Denver has quite a significant smog problem.
Natural beauty they both have it but it's very different, Seattle area is green and lush and heavily forested ('cos it rains ALL the time). Denver is located on a semi-arid steppe against the backdrop of the spectacular rocky mountains.
Small rural communities? Others will know more of what is around the Seattle area. Go North of Denver to Longmont, Fort Collins, Lyons, Loveland all really nice little towns and of course visit the towns in the mountains (Estes Park is so nice).
I enjoy my trips to Seattle though, change of scene, beautiful in its lush green way and I always visit the wonderful Pikes Place Market which is great. But I simply could not live there and it is down to the miserable weather - practically always grey, overcast, trying to rain or pouring with rain. rarely clear or sunny. Driving back it's always nice on the I-90 approaching the Cle Elum area when I can finally turn off the cars wipers.
Still it has to be remembered that most of Washingtons population does live under the rain and clouds of the West Side of the State, there's more jobs there obviously. Maybe they all have sun lamps in their apartments so that they do not suffer from vitamin D definciency but it would not be for me.

Old 04-20-2011, 02:50 PM

850 posts, read 3,715,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeahok View Post
Better summers: warm, sunny, not a lot of humidity, storms, but not every day, nicer outdoors climate
Yes, Washington is very beautiful, if you can see through the clouds with the 7-9 months of rain.

Weather: Neither place is humid. Seattle is warm in the summer, and in the winter you average around 40 degrees. You don't get very much snow as you do in Denver (which gets A LOT). Some rain? Expect to drown in Washington as opposed to Colorado where you get more sunny days. Keep in mind that western washington is very cloudy throughout the winter, sometimes up to 9 months.

Summers: Summers will be milder in Seattle and it's not going to get as hot as it is in Denver. Sunshine in Seattle is usually from July to September. Humidity is not a problem in either place. We rarely get storms in Washington. Every once in a while we'll get some thunder, but I've been through summers where we get nothing. I would guess that Denver has more storms than we do.

Sports: I don't know much about sports programs, so maybe someone else can give info.

Old 04-20-2011, 03:37 PM

2,253 posts, read 6,984,029 times
Wink Different for sure

The first question that comes to mind is if you have personal experience with either location, as they are so dissimilar?

Nevertheless, some thoughts:

- Nice people
The citizens of both Denver and Seattle are generally progressive, liberal, and friendly enough. In political tone and ambience those in Seattle tend to lean far left, whereas more middle of the road in Denver. There is such a thing as the 'Seattle freeze' many transplants complain of, where people are friendly in general acquaintance, but often avoid deeper friendships. Certainly a difference in outlook, and those favoring 'Southern' hospitality would probably prefer Denver. Also, in influence, see weather below.

- Dog friendly
Probably Denver. Those in Seattle and environs probably like dogs well enough, with many places to take and walk them, but in general acceptance and enthusiasm Colorado likely best.

- Parks, zoo's and aquariums
No idea. Each place would have its attractions, so more a question of which is best for the aficionado.

- Natural beauty
Both are lovely in their own way. Denver resides on the flat plains near the Rocky Mountains, with often a good view of them in the near distance. The land is semi-arid, hues of brown in winter with relatively little snow. More shades of green come summer, but if lovely trees nowhere the profusion within the mountains or the verdant forests of the East.

Seattle is distinctly different. It is built on low hills between the waters of Lake Washington to the east, and Puget Sound just to the west. All are shades of green, most all the time. There is far more water than in the Rocky Mountain West, and it shows in every aspect of the landscape. Views from Seattle are also often magnificent, with the snow-capped Cascade Mountains not far bordering to the east, or across the waters of Puget Sound the lofty peaks of the Olympic Mountains (if/when visible in winter).

- Sports teams and fans
Both cities are large enough to host professional sport teams. Just in football it seems that the Denver Broncos are more usually in contention than the Seattle Seahawks, although boosters of either team seem keen enough, if Denver with a truly devoted enthusiasm. In sports alone, possibly more a question of who one favors, and why.

- Outdoors activities
Excellent from either city, if somewhat different in character. Both enjoy easy access, both in walking or biking within town, to finding one's way to mountains and woods. Although good choices in outdoor recreation are in close proximity, the size of either population means a greater distance will have to be traveled for serene, uncrowded conditions.

The landscape for outdoor activities is distinctly different between Seattle and Denver. The Rocky Mountains are drier, more open with less vegetation. Pine trees are many, although often interspersed with spruce, fir and aspen. There is decidedly more undergrowth and brush in the Pacific Northwest, the trees generally larger. In overall appearance, more green and lush. The mountains of either region are beautiful, but different in character. As namesake, there is more usually a greater incidence of striking rock formations in the Rocky Mountains. Those of the PNW can offer lovely rocks as well, although in formation tending towards shale and volcanic type. Elevations in Colorado are decidedly higher, the air drier, but in example even though the highest point in the Olympic Mountains is but the 7,980 feet of Mt. Olympus, they are still quite vertical and imposing in basically rising from sea level.

- Better summer
Summer is notably lovely in either location. Nights will be moderately cool, days warm to hot. Conditions will be less humid and hotter in Denver. Seattle and immediate environs has more of a maritime influence, with more moderate extremes in temperature, and few truly hot days. Summer in Seattle is often said not to have really arrived until July 4th. But once there it shares the proclivity of the West Coast for near perfect summer days one day after another. That in Denver will be more changeable, with often afternoon thunderstorms in July and August.

- Country/small town feel
Both Denver and Seattle feel like what they are, small to mid-size regional cities by world standards. Both offer pleasant neighborhoods near the CBD, but they are only small cities in comparison to Mexico City, and country best felt some distance beyond.

- Small, rural communities
It would be simpler to actually live in a small town near Denver, versus Seattle. For one thing, it would generally be easier to get around Denver, in and out of it, than Seattle due geography: Denver flat with more options in highways, and so much of the traffic in and near Seattle centered upon the always busy I-5. There are also small, separate towns relatively close to Denver which are still close enough to feasibly commute from. North and South of Seattle is one continuous metro region, one town melting into another. On the other hand, although the native forests are decimated in the area, still enough trees remaining to allow living in the outer Seattle region and yet feel fairly isolated, as if really out in the woods, with options in local shopping. If opting for the short ferry ride west to places such as Bainbridge Island, then a world apart.

- Better weather
Denver arguably enjoys better weather. Millions of people live near Seattle, thus obviously liking it well enough, although one may possibly encounter few places with more discussion and issues of the weather. Even as some love the climate of the PNW and would have nothing else, many also excuse their winters by pointing out how wonderful summer is. Simply put, winters in Seattle are about 9 months long, largely overcast with little sun, with often frequent drizzle. Think wet. Temperatures are moderate near sea level, often about 40 something, and not far from that in either direction. It is humid enough to make the moderate temperatures feel colder. It does occasionally snow in Seattle, if that soon gone, and always an event. The temperatures at night are often so close to freezing that driving can be an adventure. Some people love the climate, others last several years, and others soon gone.

Those that leave Seattle may end up in Denver. If not as idyllic as Hawaii, for a mountain(ish) climate it is one many seem to either like or love with few reservations. The air is dry enough, and the sun so frequently strongly present, that temperatures in the 30s can seem fine, with thoughts of maybe sunbathing if climbing to 50. It is cold enough, particularly at night, that what snow falls can remain for some time, particularly in every north aspect and shady spot. There will be some days when remaining inside by the fire the best recourse, but generally winter is not the issue it can be higher up in the nearby mountains, nor as brutal as many places in the Midwest or East Coast. Especially if favoring winter sports, a time to look forward to, and at times lovely as well.

- Places to go (shops, museums, ect..
As said, Denver is just easier to get around within. If Seattle, one will probably be more likely on a daily basis to use local shopping. In the Seattle region there are good options spread throughout, as beyond the CBD akin to one vast suburb. Seattle similar to an extent, but Denver and environs a welcome home to shopping malls and big box stores, and chain restaurants. A large selection to choose from. As for culture, more dependent upon which exactly in each city one likes.

If some similarities, they are both in the United States after all, one would have to include maybe Tucson, AZ to find two large cities in the lower 48 more different than Seattle and Denver - most of all in weather.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:44 PM

57 posts, read 224,607 times
Do you like rain and clouds (seattle) or do you like sun (denver)?

Old 04-20-2011, 08:14 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:

Having lived in both for over 25 yrs each, I am very curious that you didn't search this forum before posting, as there are some specific Colorado vs. we_t wa

I'd say you are not too well informed if you believe your quote (above).

Enjoy your new 'spot', Pleasant 'Dreams'

Old 04-21-2011, 08:10 AM

Uh, the quote above is my opinion, so it can't be wrong, its an opinion.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:46 AM

7,841 posts, read 18,991,883 times
I have lived in both cities, Seattle in '79 & '80 and Denver in '71 & '72. All things considered, I prefer the city of Seattle over Denver, but let it be known that I am not a city lover, and I spent more time in Seattle than in Denver. I prefer a small town atmosphere, so take that under consideration when when weighing my comments. Seattle is bigger and more robust if my memory is accurrate. Seattle is less isolated from other large polulation centers like Vancouver - BC and Portland - Or, than is Denver. Denevr is a l-o-n-g way from any other large population centers!

IMO, scenery wise, Seattle wins hands down. The lush greenery, Mt Rainer, Mt Baker and the other volcanic cascade peaks are magmificent as are the Olympic Mountains to the west. But Denver has more sunny days and drier air, so IMO Denver wins the climate comparison. Again based on long term memory, the cost of living is significantly lower in Denver than in Seattle, though that may have changed over the years. It seemed like it required a longer drive to reach the mountain from Seattle than from Denver, and the traffic seemed heavier too in Seattle.

I made friends easily in both locations, but I'm a pretty friendly guy myself and I tend to encounter other friendly people wherever I have lived. So I would say the friendliness factor depends mostly on yourself. Like attracts like as the great sage 'They' is fond of saying.

I hope this is somewhat helpful and good luck to you with your relocation. If I HAD to live in a city, I would probably have both Seattle and Denver on my short list, and I would probably choose Seattle in the end. But I'm not in that boat right now, so I don't have to make that choice. I'm quite content in Grand Junction - CO for the time being. As long as you are happy with big city life, I don't think you can go wrong in either place.

I've often said to friends, If God itself came to me and told me that I HAD to live in a big city but I could choose the city, that I would pick Seattle.

Last edited by CosmicWizard; 04-21-2011 at 11:14 AM..

Old 04-21-2011, 10:11 AM

850 posts, read 3,715,277 times
Quote:
Uh, the quote above is my opinion, so it can't be wrong, its an opinion.
I agree. It's a matter of personal opinion.

What is the single most important requirement to you in deciding where to move?

Old 04-21-2011, 10:32 AM

Being able to be active and safe, feel welcomed, and live in a beautiful environment
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.