U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 09:03 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,098,990 times

Advertisements

Oh..... Here's another. Northern whites are more affluent then southern whites. I don't think this is debatable.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-30-2015, 10:08 AM

1,408 posts, read 1,457,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You haven't spent much time down south if you believe what you say. I have seen and met many fat, dumb and religious people in the north as well as many highly edjucated people in the south.

Southerners stab you in the back? Those from NY, NJ and MA are some of the rudest people I have ever met as they believe themselves above all others. It may as well include all of NE. I have seen rednecks in CT whooping it up like any in GA, maybe worse. Genuine?

Education is what you make of it.

Southerners are taught to say "Yes Sir" as well as "Yes Ma'am" as children.
Northerners are not, they address their elders by first name, a bad practice as they believe they are of the same social status.
Southerners continue to use the titles as adults.

Northerners also tend to be obnoxious liberals.

Northerners are genuine? I live in the shadow of the White House, spare me.
I've lived down here for 15 years now, most of it spent in a rural town close to the Georgia/Alabama line.

The south leads the nation in the most obese, least educated, most religious, and with the highest rate of teen pregnancy. And living here really proved it to me, I don't know what "south" you're talking about.

And youre lying if you truly believe that academia doesn't take a backseat to football down here. Give me a break.

And yes, southerners pride themselves on their manners so they are definitely more likely to be sweet to your face and talk all kinds of mess behind your back. Northerners don't have ANY problem telling you what they think to your face.

You consider DC a culturally "northern" city? :eyeroll: it's funny, the only people who don't think the south has the rampant problems it has are southerners who don't know any better. Bless your heart.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:18 AM

36,321 posts, read 35,221,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
And yes, southerners pride themselves on their manners so they are definitely more likely to be sweet to your face and talk all kinds of mess behind your back. Northerners don't have ANY problem telling you what they think to your face.
I find this to be an overblown stereotype on both sides. As a native Southerner now living in the North, I find that people are tactful for the most part overall. This whole "Northerners don't have manners and never talk about you behind your back" thing is tired.

Old 11-30-2015, 10:26 AM

295 posts, read 252,358 times
The amount of unfounded stereotypes in this thread is funny.

Lived in the North and in the South.

Yes, more "obese" people in the South, but it's treated in this thread like it's shameful. People in the South, especially on the coast, know how to have a good time. The side effect is a bit more cholesterol. Some may consider me "obese" but I have a good time and never had a problem getting strange.

Dumber? Doubtful. If you actually look at the statistics for urban vs. country, it really shouldn't be generalized. The education level of the SC city I live in now is better than the education level of the NY city I moved from. It's almost like people think no one in the South gets into any Ivy League colleges.

More religious? Sure. It seems to be the culture to just go to church. It is odd, that it's just matter-of-fact. It does make getting parking spaces and Sunday brunch easier, when everyone's at church though!

I do find the people in the South to be more personable, friendly, and kind. If I fell on the street in SC, people will come to help. If you did it in NY, they would walk on by. Not saying this is always the case, but the odds are there. It's the norm to let people in. In the North, it's the norm to cut you off.

Another thing people don't talk about is beautification. It seems in the North, people are okay with things looking like crap. In the South, they spend the money on beautification. Some would say money would be better spent on education, but sometimes people think that they can throw millions of dollars at their dopey kid and he'll be an instant genius.

The Civil War stuff isn't true. Southerners don't care about the Civil War. They care about an oppressive government interfering with their rights. I'm sure we can all get behind that. And no to racist stuff. Forcing the South to integrate has it's positives. And yes, gun culture is different here. But that's what people don't understand. It's a CULTURE. It's not a hobby, it's not a right, it's not an activity. It's a culture.

But with the internet and ease of travel, things are changing. More people are moving to the South and it's becoming a melting pot, so the stereotypes can thankfully go away. But yes, there is nothing more obnoxious than Northerners blanketly insulting the South with no evidence but writers' material in the media. Come spend a few years here! The rare people that I've spoken to that moved back North were either A) obnoxious to begin with or B) didn't do their research.

I don't mean to be defensive, but it's that Southern stereotyping by people that have never lived in the South that makes me insane! This is coming from someone that's been a Northerner for 10 times as long as a Southerner!

There are great people everywhere, though!

Last edited by imagineskyscrapers; 11-30-2015 at 11:12 AM..

Old 11-30-2015, 10:41 AM

17,934 posts, read 21,685,113 times
I am glad we have yet another thread that proves that southerners are as apt if not more to making nasty, rude comments and stereotypes about Northerners as they claim Northerners make about the South.

By and large, I have met mostly great people in both regions. Are they different? Sure. That's one of the great things about this country, but some people just have to trash their neighbors and countrymen on city-data.

OK, back to your tired old war.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:01 AM

25,381 posts, read 14,292,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
Oh..... Here's another. Northern whites are more affluent then southern whites. I don't think this is debatable.
I'm not so sure. The south has the highest ration of blacks who are the most obese and poverty stricken race in the USA. If you filtered out just the southern whites, it would be close to northern whites. I've lived in Louisiana, Texas, Oregon and Washington for most of my life...whites in Louisiana are better off on average than whites in Oregon and I believe whites in Texas are about equal to white affluence in Washington. I think on the whole, there's very little difference in affluence if you just talk about whites....I have 5 siblings in Louisiana who started from low middle income and 4 of the 5 are millionaires and the other is doing fine as well.

Old 11-30-2015, 11:18 AM

15,360 posts, read 7,774,008 times
Quote:
You haven't spent much time down south if you believe what you say. I have seen and met many fat, dumb and religious people in the north as well as many highly edjucated people in the south.

Southerners stab you in the back? Those from NY, NJ and MA are some of the rudest people I have ever met as they believe themselves above all others. It may as well include all of NE. I have seen rednecks in CT whooping it up like any in GA, maybe worse. Genuine?

Education is what you make of it.

Southerners are taught to say "Yes Sir" as well as "Yes Ma'am" as children.
Northerners are not, they address their elders by first name, a bad practice as they believe they are of the same social status.
Southerners continue to use the titles as adults.

Northerners also tend to be obnoxious liberals.

Northerners are genuine? I live in the shadow of the White House, spare me.

No, I'm sorry many northerners do NOT address elders by their first name. I am one and have always been taught as a kid that adults are Mr So-and So or Miss/Mrs. I don't know where you got that idea. The only times we may have addressed them otherwise is if they told us to call them by their first name.
That was rare. Even into adult hood, I've called my neighbor's parents as Mr and Mrs even though they said you can call us "Jane and Joe".

Old 11-30-2015, 11:33 AM

13,693 posts, read 14,673,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
I'm not so sure. The south has the highest ration of blacks who are the most obese and poverty stricken race in the USA. If you filtered out just the southern whites, it would be close to northern whites. I've lived in Louisiana, Texas, Oregon and Washington for most of my life...whites in Louisiana are better off on average than whites in Oregon and I believe whites in Texas are about equal to white affluence in Washington. I think on the whole, there's very little difference in affluence if you just talk about whites....I have 5 siblings in Louisiana who started from low middle income and 4 of the 5 are millionaires and the other is doing fine as well.
Here's the 2014 census data on median household income for non-Hispanic whites by state. Southern states in bold.

Maryland 82,846
New Jersey 82,182
Alaska 80,656
Connecticut 78,959
Massachusetts 75,598
California 73,017
Virginia 70,878
Hawaii 70,259
New York 68,283
Colorado 67,360
New Hampshire 67,318
Texas 65,786
Delaware 65,361
Minnesota 64,824
Illinois 64,349
Utah 63,994
Washington 63,519
North Dakota 61,864
Rhode Island 61,406
Wyoming 60,360
Georgia 57,555
Pennsylvania 57,540
Nevada 56,514
Wisconsin 56,083
Kansas 56,010
Nebraska 55,976
Arizona 55,321
Iowa 55,243
Louisiana 54,940
Vermont 54,640
Michigan 53,496
New Mexico 53,422
South Dakota 53,187
Oregon 52,915
Ohio 52,815
North Carolina 52,759
South Carolina 52,356

Florida 52,321
Indiana 52,105
Oklahoma 51,525
Missouri 51,383
Alabama 50,076
Maine 50,041
Idaho 49,536
Mississippi 48,844
Tennessee 48,218

Montana 48,005
Arkansas 45,456
Kentucky 45,179
West Virginia 41,673

Old 11-30-2015, 11:43 AM

295 posts, read 252,358 times
Remove OK and bold MD. Doesn't change your point, though.

My argument is that stats like this are meaningless. It doesn't make one more likely to make more, nor doesn't hold any water on QoL.

I made $20k more in NY state, doesn't mean I couldn't wait to get the heck out of NY state.

Heck, New Jersey is #2...

Old 11-30-2015, 11:44 AM

5,543 posts, read 3,945,004 times
Quote:
a bad practice as they believe they are of the same social status.
What?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.