Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 11:55 AM

3,146 posts, read 4,063,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You haven't spent much time down south if you believe what you say. I have seen and met many fat, dumb and religious people in the north as well as many highly edjucated people in the south.

Southerners stab you in the back? Those from NY, NJ and MA are some of the rudest people I have ever met as they believe themselves above all others. It may as well include all of NE. I have seen rednecks in CT whooping it up like any in GA, maybe worse. Genuine?

Education is what you make of it.

Southerners are taught to say "Yes Sir" as well as "Yes Ma'am" as children.
Northerners are not, they address their elders by first name, a bad practice as they believe they are of the same social status.
Southerners continue to use the titles as adults.

Northerners also tend to be obnoxious liberals.

Northerners are genuine? I live in the shadow of the White House, spare me.
"Knowing one's place" seems to be the number one rule in the south.

Southerners are very much into classism and other "isms", need I elaborate further?

Is it not true that "God, guns, and gays" pretty much sums up the prevailing sentiment of many, if not most Southerners?

Old 11-30-2015, 11:56 AM

14,361 posts, read 16,897,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iAMtheVVALRUS View Post
What?!
One of the cultural differences between the north and south illuminated. Heh.

BTW, one thing I have seen which has proven in a psychological study is southern men are much more likely to get very mad if you are rude to them. IIRC the study had people purposely bump into college students in the North and South in a narrow hallway, alternatively apologizing and calling the guy a jerk. They then did a "fake" study where they really measured the levels of anger in the participants. The southern men were really upset, while the northern men mostly just shrugged it off and laughed.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:15 PM

6,208 posts, read 9,161,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I've lived down here for 15 years now, most of it spent in a rural town close to the Georgia/Alabama line.

The south leads the nation in the most obese, least educated, most religious, and with the highest rate of teen pregnancy. And living here really proved it to me, I don't know what "south" you're talking about.

And youre lying if you truly believe that academia doesn't take a backseat to football down here. Give me a break.

And yes, southerners pride themselves on their manners so they are definitely more likely to be sweet to your face and talk all kinds of mess behind your back. Northerners don't have ANY problem telling you what they think to your face.

You consider DC a culturally "northern" city? :eyeroll: it's funny, the only people who don't think the south has the rampant problems it has are southerners who don't know any better. Bless your heart.
It's a culturally mix city, nothing new even though it has been gravitating more culturally northern for the last few decades. It sure as hell isn't a Deep South or New England city that's for sure.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:18 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,850,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

Southerners are very much into classism and other "isms", need I elaborate further?

Is it not true that "God, guns, and gays" pretty much sums up the prevailing sentiment of many, if not most Southerners?

What the hell does your post even mean? "Isms"?
God and guns, sure.
Gays, however, are a special gift of the north as liberals openly embrace them. Southerners don't obsess over gays as liberal northerners do as they aren't recognized as a special class of people; more like a curse.

Southern men like women, not the genitalia or sewer chutes of other men.

You must have pointedly visited weird parts of NOLA to draw such conclusions.

Old 11-30-2015, 12:33 PM

37,804 posts, read 41,557,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post

Ummm, this has nothing to do with addressing elders with respect. I wouldn't dare call someone old enough to be my grandmother or grandfather by their first name; it's always prefaced by "Mr." or "Mrs./Miss" or another appropriate title. That said, I don't know if that's standard in the North or not. I met one of my neighbors a couple of months ago for the first time, who's an older woman and I used "yes ma'am" and "no ma'am" as that is how I was raised. She told me that she usually doesn't let people use "ma'am" to refer to her except if they are military or are from the South.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:03 PM

29,867 posts, read 18,704,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Here's the 2014 census data on median household income for non-Hispanic whites by state. Southern states in bold.

Maryland 82,846
New Jersey 82,182
Alaska 80,656
Connecticut 78,959
Massachusetts 75,598
California 73,017
Virginia 70,878
Hawaii 70,259
New York 68,283
Colorado 67,360
New Hampshire 67,318
Texas 65,786
Delaware 65,361
Minnesota 64,824
Illinois 64,349
Utah 63,994
Washington 63,519
North Dakota 61,864
Rhode Island 61,406
Wyoming 60,360
Georgia 57,555
Pennsylvania 57,540
Nevada 56,514
Wisconsin 56,083
Kansas 56,010
Nebraska 55,976
Arizona 55,321
Iowa 55,243
Louisiana 54,940
Vermont 54,640
Michigan 53,496
New Mexico 53,422
South Dakota 53,187
Oregon 52,915
Ohio 52,815
North Carolina 52,759
South Carolina 52,356
Florida 52,321
Indiana 52,105
Oklahoma 51,525
Missouri 51,383
Alabama 50,076
Maine 50,041
Idaho 49,536
Mississippi 48,844
Tennessee 48,218
Montana 48,005
Arkansas 45,456
Kentucky 45,179
West Virginia 41,673
These stats do back up what I said in my experience that whites in Louisiana are more affluent that whites in Oregon and whites in Texas are more affluent than whites in Washington. If you also factored in cost of living variations, the rankings would significantly change....for example, California and Hawaii would fall and Texas, Louisiana, Georgia would rise. I don't think West Virginia is a southern state, is it?

Old 11-30-2015, 01:42 PM

23,886 posts, read 32,184,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 803andy View Post
Lets contrast the two. Is there much of a difference between the two?

Musically: I know the Country Music market is very weak in the north compared to the south. The last time I checked there wasn't one Country Music radio station in NYC.

Please respectfully add your thoughts.

That's crazy. Where do you get your information? Country music acts have played in NYC venues. Large ones. Nassau Coliseum, Giants Stadium, etc.

And there is *at least* one Country Music station in NYC. When my husband gets home I will ask him what it is - the radio in his SUV was always set to the Country station and the sports station. He went back and forth.

Many middle aged NYers at a certain point, switched from rock music - which was seeming to young or incomprehensible to them - to Country. The last new music DH liked in terms of rock was Bruce Springsteen, John Mellancamp, and Tom Petty. And isn't Tom Petty from the south?

I'm not speaking for Manhattan. I am speaking for the Burroughs of NYC, Long Island, Westchester County and Bergen County in Jersey.

I have no stats handy, but most people born and raised in New York today don't live in Manhattan. I'd say at least half are from other countries or other states.

Personally, one of my favorite singers of all time is Johnny Cash. I also love Patsy Cline.
Huge fan of Elvis Presley, Wanda Jackson, and Jerry Lee Lewis - I'd call these three Rockabilly.

I was born in Manhattan and my husband in Brooklyn.

Old 11-30-2015, 01:54 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,337,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
These stats do back up what I said in my experience that whites in Louisiana are more affluent that whites in Oregon and whites in Texas are more affluent than whites in Washington. If you also factored in cost of living variations, the rankings would significantly change....for example, California and Hawaii would fall and Texas, Louisiana, Georgia would rise. I don't think West Virginia is a southern state, is it?
We're talking about the Northern whites being more affluent not West coast whites. The northeast is the most affluent region of the country. The title of the thread is the difference between northern whites and southern whites. People from Washington aren't apart of the northeast. So back to what I was saying, his data shows what I said is in fact true. It's not even debatable. A white person up north is more likely to be more affluent and educated. That's just how it is. The south was agricultural based so obviously education wasn't that important. The northeast has always been more educated and affluent then the south.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:00 PM

295 posts, read 294,593 times
I'll just leave this here: Forbes Welcome

Old 11-30-2015, 02:00 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,337,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I've lived down here for 15 years now, most of it spent in a rural town close to the Georgia/Alabama line.

The south leads the nation in the most obese, least educated, most religious, and with the highest rate of teen pregnancy. And living here really proved it to me, I don't know what "south" you're talking about.

And youre lying if you truly believe that academia doesn't take a backseat to football down here. Give me a break.

And yes, southerners pride themselves on their manners so they are definitely more likely to be sweet to your face and talk all kinds of mess behind your back. Northerners don't have ANY problem telling you what they think to your face.

You consider DC a culturally "northern" city? :eyeroll: it's funny, the only people who don't think the south has the rampant problems it has are southerners who don't know any better. Bless your heart.
DC is culturally northern definitely. Historically no but present day yes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.