U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2015, 02:00 PM

5,280 posts, read 8,653,270 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluusions View Post
We're talking about the Northern whites being more affluent not West coast whites. The northeast is the most affluent region of the country. The title of the thread is the difference between northern whites and southern whites. People from Washington aren't apart of the northeast. So back to what I was saying, his data shows what I said is in fact true. It's not even debatable. A white person up north is more likely to be more affluent and educated. That's just how it is. The south was agricultural based so obviously education wasn't that important. The northeast has always been more educated and affluent then the south.
Yeah, agreed. There's not a whole lot of arguing that can be done with the fats. I've always found white ppl from "up north" to be more educated... overall. Now, I'm generalizing here, but overall northern whites have more education and more money than poor southern whites. Think Honey boo-boo types.
Rate this post positively

Old 11-30-2015, 02:04 PM

295 posts, read 251,457 times
Quote:
So back to what I was saying, his data shows what I said is in fact true. It's not even debatable. A white person up north is more likely to be more affluent and educated.
That's quite the leap.

Social science lesson today, folks: correlation =/= causation.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:14 PM

1,833 posts, read 2,092,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imagineskyscrapers View Post
That's quite the leap.

Social science lesson today, folks: correlation =/= causation.
LOL. It's not a leap, why is this even surprising to you? It shouldn't be. This has been proven over and over again. The average white person up north is more affluent and educated than a person in the south. Look at the median household income for each state and also the per capital of each state. Also look at the richest counties in the country and then back to me. Affluence in the northeast should never be compared to the south. One of the richest towns in the country *cough cough* the famous Greenwich which is predominantly white. The Bos-Wash corridor is very affluent and educated.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:17 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,291,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post

What the hell does your post even mean? "Isms"?
God and guns, sure.
Gays, however, are a special gift of the north as liberals openly embrace them. Southerners don't obsess over gays as liberal northerners do as they aren't recognized as a special class of people; more like a curse.

Southern men like women, not the genitalia or sewer chutes of other men.

You must have pointedly visited weird parts of NOLA to draw such conclusions.

Really.

You don't understand "isms".

Like racism and sexism.

I won't even respond to your coarse and offensive anal references or your hateful reference to gays as "a curse".

Those statements alone speak volumes about you.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:19 PM

2,067 posts, read 3,291,211 times
Quote:

God and guns, sure.
Gays, however, are a special gift of the north as liberals openly embrace them. Southerners don't obsess over gays as liberal northerners do as they aren't recognized as a special class of people; more like a curse.

It's a good thing that there are plenty of people in the South not as stupid as you. Also a good thing that stupid beliefs like yours--that gay people are "cursed" and that there's something bad about consensual sexual acts between adults--are dying out and losing political support and there's literally nothing you can do to stop or reverse that. Enjoy losing.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:23 PM

25,381 posts, read 14,201,226 times
Quote:
We're talking about the Northern whites being more affluent not West coast whites. The northeast is the most affluent region of the country. The title of the thread is the difference between northern whites and southern whites. People from Washington aren't apart of the northeast. So back to what I was saying, his data shows what I said is in fact true. It's not even debatable. A white person up north is more likely to be more affluent and educated. That's just how it is. The south was agricultural based so obviously education wasn't that important. The northeast has always been more educated and affluent then the south.
Then why is Maine below Alabama, Pennsylvania below Georgia, New York below Virginia and Vermont below Louisiana?

Old 11-30-2015, 02:26 PM

Quote:

God and guns, sure.

LOL. You just proved every northerner that likes to stereotype the south as ignorant and uneducated right. You sound like the people off of honey booboo just like the husband sugar bear smh. Or the old man off of duck dynasty. It's not good to call gays a curse just because you don't have the same beliefs. God says he can only judge, not you.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Then why is Maine below Alabama, Pennsylvania below Georgia, New York below Virginia and Vermont below Louisiana?
Oh gosh lol. Alabama is about the poorest state in the country if not Mississippi or Missouri and neither is Maine below Alabama or is Vermont below Louisiana? You have your facts all wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List...tes_by_income#

The northeast is very well dark blue while the south is very much light blue. Oh wow though can't believe you said Maine is below Alabama. Made my day though thanks for the laugh.

Old 11-30-2015, 02:31 PM

295 posts, read 251,457 times
Quote:
LOL. It's not a leap, why is this even surprising to you? It shouldn't be. This has been proven over and over again. The average white person up north is more affluent and educated than a person in the south. Look at the median household income for each state and also the per capital of each state. Also look at the richest counties in the country and then back to me. Affluence in the northeast should never be compared to the south. One of the richest towns in the country *cough cough* the famous Greenwich which is predominantly white. The Bos-Wash corridor is very affluent and educated.
I know this, but the problem arises with your assumptions.

Quote:
The average white person up north is more affluent and educated than a person in the south.
This is taking summary statistics and inferring. No one is saying that the NE has quite a bit of wealth, but it doesn't mean that someone is more likely to be wealthy in the NE. The probability of being wealthy is different than the ability to be wealthy.

I think it's generally accepted that one can be wealthy anywhere. Where I sit now, in the South, I can walk to Bill Murray's house in one of the top 50 wealthy zip codes in the US. Heck, Darius Rucker just drove past the building (not literally, but he does live down the street).

It's also ignoring the whole Reconstruction thing. The civil rights act was certainly a great deal, but it also essentially screwed every Southern county in terms of tax districts (schools are all county organized, not town or municipality). Many don't realize that these laws, as helpful as they were upon creation, are still on the books in their original form.

But like I highlighted before, the differences are evaporating. More people working remote, websites like City-Data to calm nerves about moving across the country, video streaming to keep in touch, etc.. The South's population isn't growing because people are valuing education any less...

Old 11-30-2015, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Traveler View Post
Virginia is all the way up the list mainly because of Northern Virginia which is apart of the Bos-Wash corridor. I live in northern va, also many northern Virginias don't identify themselves as southerners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.