Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:30 PM

217 posts, read 417,376 times

Advertisements

Lets contrast the two. Is there much of a difference between the two?

Musically: I know the Country Music market is very weak in the north compared to the south. The last time I checked there wasn't one Country Music radio station in NYC.

Please respectfully add your thoughts.

Old 04-19-2011, 08:46 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Actually, one of the top radio stations in my area is a country radio station. So, outside of NYC, you can find plenty of country radio stations in the NE. There are many in the MW too.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:04 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Without writing an encyclopedia, I'd say that the Catholic Church and immigration separate the two regions, in as northern cities stretching from Boston and NYC out to Chicago, St. Louis and Minneapolis received millions of Catholic immigrants from Europe in the 19th/early 20th century. BY and large, this trend did not affect the South.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:44 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,686,272 times
Not much of a difference besides culture & ancestry

Old 04-19-2011, 10:42 PM

1,027 posts, read 1,378,462 times
Well we can start with food. My wife is from the south and her family likes grits, lots of pork products, stews and everything seems to need to be either fried, topped with cheese or either doused with some creamy fatty sauce. The obesity rate is horrible down there. Oh yeah, and they can't understand for the life of them how someone can drink tea that is not heavily sweetened.

Religion is also big down there. So is hunting. A good portion of them, but definitely not all, seem to hang on to their confederate "roots" while northerners don't hardly ever think about the civil war.

They also seem to be more talkative, even with total strangers, and more willing to lend a hand when in need than northern big-city people. They wave at you when you drive by in the neighborhood. And they say "Do what?" even when your question didn't refer to "doing" anything.

They don't like to travel as much as northerners. I met a married couple from Tampa once who had never even been to Miami, which is just a few hours away. My wife's parents had never left the country until last year when she convinced them to go a cruise with her, and had never been further west than east Texas.

Old 11-29-2015, 08:39 PM

1,397 posts, read 1,619,454 times
I've spent almost equal parts of my life in Boston and Atlanta.

Southern stereotypes exist for a reason. People down here really are by and large fat, dumb and religious (especially the further from ATL you go)

Northerners aren't as friendly to strangers, but are more genuine and honest people. They won't be sugary sweet to your face and stab you in the back like a southerner. They're also vastly better educated.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:09 PM

5,993 posts, read 10,190,713 times
I think there are far more "new generation Americans" in the North, where people are either immigrants, 1st, 2nd or 3rd generation descendants of immigrants, whereas the South is more established/settled by multi-generational (>3 generations) Americans.

Old 11-29-2015, 09:11 PM

8,610 posts, read 7,893,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JC84 View Post
I've spent almost equal parts of my life in Boston and Atlanta.

Southern stereotypes exist for a reason. People down here really are by and large fat, dumb and religious (especially the further from ATL you go)

Northerners aren't as friendly to strangers, but are more genuine and honest people. They won't be sugary sweet to your face and stab you in the back like a southerner. They're also vastly better educated.

You haven't spent much time down south if you believe what you say. I have seen and met many fat, dumb and religious people in the north as well as many highly edjucated people in the south.

Southerners stab you in the back? Those from NY, NJ and MA are some of the rudest people I have ever met as they believe themselves above all others. It may as well include all of NE. I have seen rednecks in CT whooping it up like any in GA, maybe worse. Genuine?

Education is what you make of it.

Southerners are taught to say "Yes Sir" as well as "Yes Ma'am" as children.
Northerners are not, they address their elders by first name, a bad practice as they believe they are of the same social status.
Southerners continue to use the titles as adults.

Northerners also tend to be obnoxious liberals.

Northerners are genuine? I live in the shadow of the White House, spare me.

Old 11-30-2015, 07:48 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,351,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by armory View Post
You haven't spent much time down south if you believe what you say. I have seen and met many fat, dumb and religious people in the north as well as many highly edjucated people in the south.

Southerners stab you in the back? Those from NY, NJ and MA are some of the rudest people I have ever met as they believe themselves above all others. It may as well include all of NE. I have seen rednecks in CT whooping it up like any in GA, maybe worse. Genuine?

Education is what you make of it.

Southerners are taught to say "Yes Sir" as well as "Yes Ma'am" as children.
Northerners are not, they address their elders by first name, a bad practice as they believe they are of the same social status.
Southerners continue to use the titles as adults.

Northerners also tend to be obnoxious liberals.

Northerners are genuine? I live in the shadow of the White House, spare me.
Nothing wrong with being a liberal.

Facts and statistics do prove that people from the south host the highest obesity rate in the country. So therefore yes there are a lot of fat people in the south than per say the north and west.

Last edited by Deluusions; 11-30-2015 at 08:01 AM..

Old 11-30-2015, 07:53 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,027,384 times
I don't think you can clearly stereotype about either group, but particularly about the North. This is because generally speaking the further north you go the less like the South the culture is. If you're in rural central Indiana it won't seem that different from much of the South besides the accents and a few culinary quirks. If you're in Minnesota or Maine, you'll think the two couldn't get more different and be in the same country.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.