Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 08:33 AM

48 posts, read 208,536 times

Advertisements

Hi fellow searchers and researchers,

Another one trying to find my place. I've taken the 3 "find your spot" type quizes I found on the internet and the results are very erratic, but for 80% of the questions asked I have the "no preference" response so that's why. Maybe you can help me.

This is my current situation....33 yr old female, divorced, no children, did the well paying job, owning a house in suburbia, nice car thing on my own and it did nothing for me but I had to try it once to see what all the fuss was about. I've spent the last 2 years living in Scandinavia (which I loved) but my stint is up and have to return to the US. I move back tomorrow actually. I have savings but no job, no car, and only a few suitcases worth of belongings.

My past...I grew up in Georgia, got my degree in science then joined the military for 4 yrs (was a poor fit but a valuable experience) and have lived in Ohio 5 yrs, Florida, Texas, and Alabama. I have traveled other places for a few days each; Portland.Maine, SanFran, NYC, DC, Cleveland, Denver, Las Vegas and loved everywhere I've visited but now I need to hone in on a place that will suit me for the long run. It's hard to get an idea of a city from the short visits I've had.

Here are my likes, dislikes, and indifferences...

1. Weather, no preference. Desert, humidity, clouds, rain, and snow...It's never made a difference to me....all cool in it's own way.

2. Cost of living, no preference. I've always found a way to live content wherever I'm at. I'm very minimalist in nature so this is not hard. I'm just as happy renting a tiny bedroom and decorating it to the hilt as I am owning a house.

3. Art education...absolutely a must have. Must be good quality with competent instructors. I'm always taking a painting/photography/sculpture/graphic course anywhere I'm at.

4. Lifestyle, I'm not interested in having a family so it would be nice to be around others that are living this same lifestyle for friendship.

5. Religion, tolerance to choice is a must. Living in Scandinavia has really opened my eyes to this one. Here it is odd if you are religious at all so I even feel weird that I have to type this.

6. Access to activities...love top notch museums, plays, parks, gardens, and really good food.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2007, 08:57 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,384,761 times
Have you tried Santa Fe, NM? HUGE artist community there. Id also mention Chicago naturally. There is a wonderful arts scene in Chicago and alot of its burbs. Just an idea...

Old 07-31-2007, 09:41 AM

332 posts, read 449,257 times
Houston sounds like a good place for you.

The Museum district has alot of cultural institutions and exibits and attracts more than 7 million people a year.

Houston is a very diverse and international city. It is also a World Class City.

The Theatre District (which is downtown). Houston is also one of only five United States cities with permanent professional,resident companies in all major performing arts such as: Opera,ballet,music and theatre

Houston also is home to the Bayou City Art Festial.

[I got my information for wikipedia Houston, Texas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I'm not sure where you stayed in Texas,but Houston seems liek just the right place for it and if not, I think NYC would be a better choice,

Old 07-31-2007, 01:48 PM

572 posts, read 1,995,718 times
It sounds like you could find what you're looking for in a lot of places. Home is where the heart is.
I'd welcome you to St. Louis. The art scene is booming. Find a place in the city or inner suburbs. You'll be within 20 minutes of all those places that will make you happy.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Have you tried Santa Fe, NM? HUGE artist community there. Id also mention Chicago naturally. There is a wonderful arts scene in Chicago and alot of its burbs. Just an idea...
Here is one of the local Art Walks. These are held frequently throughout the summer months in many towns. When winter comes, there are many galleries in the city and suburbs.

http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j292/Illinoisboy/7-29-07GenevaArtWalkcourtyard.jpg (broken link)

Old 08-01-2007, 04:08 AM

48 posts, read 208,536 times
Thanks for the suggestions and the pictures, Santa Fe looks beautiful! I'll look into the places you all mentioned and keep thinking about the obvious ones like NYC as well.

Funny you should mention St Louis, I had a friend a few years back who was raving about it and couldn't wait to move back.

Old 08-01-2007, 06:13 AM

1,517 posts, read 6,739,537 times
And maybe even Asheville, NC?

Old 08-01-2007, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jt1033 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions and the pictures, Santa Fe looks beautiful!
Glad to help! And thats Geneva, Illinois in the pics. Sorry if I confused you. But IMHO, Santa Fe is even nicer.

Old 08-01-2007, 12:16 PM

284 posts, read 1,681,604 times
One thing that struck me about Santa Fe is the vast number of resident artists who are eager to share their knowledge with visitors and other resident artists. We saw the most amazing glass blowing demonstration where a lady was explaining the process for the artist who actually worked at the location. She was working side by side with the man, explaining everything so he could keep working, and later, we found out that she had her own studio that she invited us to visit. She was just there because he needed help with a large project. It really had a sense of community. The studios were incredible, the people friendly, and the atmosphere just felt inspiring and creative. There is an art store there (of course, I can't remember the name) that had everything imaginable. Santa Fe really supports its artist community, but if you want something outside of Santa Fe, there are other towns like Madrid that are artsy.

Old 08-01-2007, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scholar View Post
One thing that struck me about Santa Fe is the vast number of resident artists who are eager to share their knowledge with visitors and other resident artists. We saw the most amazing glass blowing demonstration where a lady was explaining the process for the artist who actually worked at the location. She was working side by side with the man, explaining everything so he could keep working, and later, we found out that she had her own studio that she invited us to visit. She was just there because he needed help with a large project. It really had a sense of community. The studios were incredible, the people friendly, and the atmosphere just felt inspiring and creative. There is an art store there (of course, I can't remember the name) that had everything imaginable. Santa Fe really supports its artist community, but if you want something outside of Santa Fe, there are other towns like Madrid that are artsy.
Ive found that most artisans, no matter the location, are more than willing to demonstrate their techniques. Even at the Art Walk (pictured above), there were several pottery-makers who had their wheels out, showing folks techniques and answering questions. The highlight was a photographer who was showing a show-goer how to take good macro shots using available light. VERY COOL!

But yes, Santa Fe's art community, IMO, is the best in the states. Wish I could afford to live there...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.