Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 11:20 AM

11,039 posts, read 16,851,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhAcid View Post
The sky is blue.

The fact that you misinterpreted a post of mine unrelated to this topic at hand has nothing to do with it.

And there are still more things to do in Seattle, under that same blue sky than there are in a suburb of 1/4 the size whether I've been there or not. I've never been to Miami, but I assure you there are more things to do there than there are in Helena, Montana - which I've also never been to. Once again, having traveled to said locations is not relevant. Information and common sense are.
Information and common sense are very important, but so is actually being familiar with the area before you go off of erroneous assumptions. Seattle is a city, and it's a great city to live in if your idea of fun are outdoor recreational activities like riding your bike in the cold and/or rain; going for a jog in the cold and/or rain; hiking in the cold and/or rain. I got into it with a Seattlite on here once and he told me that Seattle isn't a "glitzy and glam-oriented city," rather that it's the sort of city where "everyone goes to sleep early so they can get up early to go for a bike ride before work" and that on weekends, "people stay in and play videogames with their friends" rather than bump nasties on a dancefloor. Super: I'm not into any of the above. The guy basically validated exactly what I said I didn't like about Seattle. I'm not saying Seattle is inherently bad by any stretch, but you want to talk about nightmares and matters of opinion? Life in Seattle was a boring, grey, dreary nightmare for me, and there's nothing paradoxical about finding out that a place doesn't suit your personality.

I'm not saying I think Irvine is heaven, I'm not even saying it's anywhere I aspire to live in, I'm just saying that I'd rather live there than Seattle despite that fact that it's technically a suburb.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 11:34 AM

674 posts, read 1,055,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
Information and common sense are very important, but so is actually being familiar with the area before you go off of erroneous assumptions. Seattle is a city, and it's a great city to live in if your idea of fun are outdoor recreational activities like riding your bike in the cold and/or rain; going for a jog in the cold and/or rain; hiking in the cold and/or rain. I got into it with a Seattlite on here once and he told me that Seattle isn't a "glitzy and glam-oriented city," rather that it's the sort of city where "everyone goes to sleep early so they can get up early to go for a bike ride before work" and that on weekends, "people stay in and play videogames with their friends" rather than bump nasties on a dancefloor. Super: I'm not into any of the above. The guy basically validated exactly what I said I didn't like about Seattle. I'm not saying Seattle is inherently bad by any stretch, but you want to talk about nightmares and matters of opinion? Life in Seattle was a boring, grey, dreary nightmare for me, and there's nothing paradoxical about finding out that a place doesn't suit your personality.

I'm not saying I think Irvine is heaven, I'm not even saying it's anywhere I aspire to live in, I'm just saying that I'd rather live there than Seattle despite that fact that it's technically a suburb.
I wouldn't call 70 degrees cold, nor does Seattle receive any more rain than many other places in the United States during its summer months. Also, Seattle has one of the most active music scenes in the entire country - outshining many other cities, so I'm going to disagree about everyone in Seattle going home at 8 to play Call of Duty. Sounds like your big issue was the weather, which would explain why you find Irvine to be a paradise compared to the Pacific Northwest.

Your generalizing post basically validates exactly what I said about you electing to not find a "pulse" in Seattle vs. one not being present - because obviously there is since the list goes on well beyond that. I wouldn't call those erroneous assumptions.

Old 04-26-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
I wouldn't call 70 degrees cold,
...and how much of the year is 70 degrees?

Quote:
nor does Seattle receive any more rain than many other places in the United States during its summer months.
I don't want to live in those places either. What's your point?

Quote:
Also, Seattle has one of the most active music scenes in the entire country - outshining many other cities, so I'm going to disagree about everyone in Seattle going home at 8 to play Call of Duty.
Seattle had one of the best music scenes back in the late 80's/early 90's. It's not the same now. LA has a much better music scene... LA is right next to Irvine and plenty of bands come from Orange County; if you don't feel like making the trek up to LA and don't feel like seeing a major headliner at the Verizon Ampitheatre, there are plenty of clubs to see local bands all over the area.

Of course not everyone in Seattle turns in at 8 to play videogames, but, I found it to be much less lively and exciting than it's touted to be. I found it that way. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be the case to you, it means it was the case to me.

Quote:
Sounds like your big issue was the weather, which would explain why you find Irvine to be a paradise compared to the Pacific Northwest.

Your generalizing post basically validates exactly what I said about you electing to not find a "pulse" in Seattle vs. one not being present - because obviously there is since the list goes on well beyond that. I wouldn't call those erroneous assumptions.
I never said that Seattle has no pulse, this is what I said: "It's not just the aesthetic of the place for me, it's the pulse, too." For someone who likes to point out that opinions are opinions, it seems ironic that you're getting on my case for voicing what I've directly stated are opinions.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:08 PM

Quote:
...and how much of the year is 70 degrees?

I don't want to live in those places either. What's your point?
Exactly. My point is that your weather and temperature preferences have nothing to do with the "pulse" of the city or activity going on around you.

And to answer your question - the summer months, which isn't much different from any other northern US city in the sense that it gets colder during the winter. New York actually gets more rain and overcast weather than Seattle does.

Quote:
Seattle had one of the best music scenes back in the late 80's/early 90's. It's not the same now. LA has a much better music scene... LA is right next to Irvine and plenty of bands come from Orange County; if you don't feel like making the trek up to LA and don't feel like seeing a major headliner at the Verizon Ampitheatre, there are plenty of clubs to see local bands all over the area.
Incorrect. Seattle still has one of the most thriving music scenes in the country. And "better" is an issue of subjectivity, it depends on preference. Also, I wouldn't say that L.A. and Irvine are "right next" to each other - as 40 miles difference and an hours drive says otherwise - but L.A. isn't really being included in discussion as you've already said multiple times that your aversion to big cities is why you are in Irvine.

Also, a "music scene" is local music, major headliners not included - so I'm not sure why you're discrediting Seattle while talking about the numerous local bands available to see in Irvine.

Quote:
Of course not everyone in Seattle turns in at 8 to play videogames, but, I found it to be much less lively and exciting than it's touted to be. I found it that way. That doesn't mean it wouldn't be the case to you, it means it was the case to me.
Based on what? You still haven't answered that. Compared to New York? - Yes. Compared to Irvine? - No.

Quote:
I never said that Seattle has no pulse, this is what I said: "It's not just the aesthetic of the place for me, it's the pulse, too." For someone who likes to point out that opinions are opinions, it seems ironic that you're getting on my case for voicing what I've directly stated are opinions.
Correct, but you've failed to state what that "pulse" is - and if you're going to speak about "pulse" as a general amount of activity and opportunity for recreation, then factually (not opinion) - Irvine still is no contest for Seattle!

Old 04-26-2011, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Exactly. My point is that your weather and temperature preferences have nothing to do with the "pulse" of the city or activity going on around you.
It does if it affects the sort of goings-on that you're into.

Quote:
And to answer your question - the summer months, which isn't much different from any other northern US city in the sense that it gets colder during the winter. New York actually gets more rain and overcast weather than Seattle does.
Yeah, I lived in NYC and liked it more than Seattle, too.

So, you basically pose "70 degrees" and then admit it's in the summer months; 70 degrees had nothing to do with the winter months. Can I infer from this that you're just noting this to nitpick and be contradictory?

Quote:
Incorrect. Seattle still has one of the most thriving music scenes in the country. And "better" is an issue of subjectivity, it depends on preference.
Fine, Mr. Literal: I find the music scene in other cities to be better and found the music scene to be uninteresting and bland compared to elsewhere. I don't care to explain why, so don't bother trying to pick this apart to ask for a further elaboration.

Quote:
Also, I wouldn't say that L.A. and Irvine are "right next" to each other - as 40 miles difference and an hours drive says otherwise - but L.A. isn't really being included in discussion as you've already said multiple times that your aversion to big cities is why you are in Irvine.
No, I have never said that. I said multiple times that I prefer cities. I also am not in Irvine. I live in San Francisco.

Are you just not paying attention to everything I'm saying and choosing to pick at the points of contension? It sure seems that way.

Quote:
Also, a "music scene" is local music, major headliners not included - so I'm not sure why you're discrediting Seattle while talking about the numerous local bands available to see in Irvine.

Based on what? You still haven't answered that. Compared to New York? - Yes. Compared to Irvine? - No.

Correct, but you've failed to state what that "pulse" is - and if you're going to speak about "pulse" as a general amount of activity and opportunity for recreation, then factually (not opinion) - Irvine still is no contest for Seattle!
I don't feel like it. I've wasted enough time on this conversation as it is.

I have my preferences and I really don't feel like "justifying" them to someone who's confrontational and disagrees with me regardless. Take care.

Old 04-26-2011, 12:59 PM

Quote:
No, I have never said that. I said multiple times that I prefer cities. I also am not in Irvine. I live in San Francisco.
You're correct, my mistake.

Old 04-26-2011, 01:11 PM

Quote:
You're correct, my mistake.
It's all good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.