Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 03:50 PM

4,030 posts, read 10,764,526 times

Advertisements

I see them here occasionally on their bikes. They have stopped by my house a few times. They are always so polite. I usually tell them that I have a church and a faith, but that I really respect them for their devotion to their faith. I've seen them while I lived in Dallas, Houston, and cities in west Texas and New Mexico as well.

DH works with a couple of Mormon guys. Actually, my BIL and his family are LDS, although they are not practicing. I wasn't even aware they were LDS until he and my sister had been married several years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 12:49 AM

8,704 posts, read 11,119,808 times
^^I was up in Duncan a few weeks ago on my way to a job site, and passed an LDS Church there. I appreciate your attitude, most people dont think to realize these are 19 to 21 year old young men who have chosen to serve their God for two years.............and pay for it, now thats dedication.
In the US, missionaries are virtually in all major towns/cities. In Texas where I live there are roughly 278,000 members in 542 congregations, all of those congregations would have missionaries assigned.

Old 04-26-2011, 09:22 AM

1,778 posts, read 2,886,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alamosakid View Post
When I moved from Detroit to rural CO, it was total religious culture shock. Where I grew up, Jehovas' Witnesses would make their rounds around town maybe once or twice a year, and the weirdest thing they ever did was ask to come inside.

...then I moved to CO. And moved to a college campus with LDS churches on 3 sides. Very interesting experience, lol.

So I'm curious: Where do you live (be as general or specific as you want) and do you ever encounter mormon prosletizers?
I'm a native Coloradan and was assistant curator of the ASC Museum of Natural History back in the '70's. The San Luis Valley was "settled" by Mormon pioneers much like the Salt Lake Valley was. Many are unaware of that fact. When I lived there if you weren't Hispanic in the SLV, you had to be LDS. In fact Jack Dempsey, the fighter, was from Manassa. The story went that he had learned to fight because he was a Catholic in a Mormon town.

Old 04-27-2011, 07:59 AM

3,376 posts, read 6,106,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 18Montclair View Post
The Church in 2011 is truly a global organization. Most Americans probably would never guess that the majority of Members live outside the United States.

For example, Tonga has the highest proportion of Mormons in the world. Out of 110,000 people, 58,000 are LDS. Approx. 52% of the Kingdom.
Country Profile:/country/tonga - LDS Newsroom

I am a 3rd generation Mormon whose parents came from Tonga to the US in the 1960s. I know Tongans who are 5th and 6th generation LDS.

Neighboring Samoa has the 2nd highest proportion of Mormons of any country btw.
One thing that got me to thinking about the link between Tongans and the LDS church was that 80s RnB group "The Jets".
A Tongan version of Debarge with more (family)members!!

Old 04-30-2011, 12:11 PM

3,121 posts, read 3,096,310 times
I always run into the LDSers working the Syracuse market. They're uniformly pleasant, intelligent and exceedingly well-groomed and mannered.

Upstate New York seems to be hallowed ground for the LDSers.

Old 04-30-2011, 12:22 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,585,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kar54 View Post
I'm a native Coloradan and was assistant curator of the ASC Museum of Natural History back in the '70's. The San Luis Valley was "settled" by Mormon pioneers much like the Salt Lake Valley was. Many are unaware of that fact. When I lived there if you weren't Hispanic in the SLV, you had to be LDS. In fact Jack Dempsey, the fighter, was from Manassa. The story went that he had learned to fight because he was a Catholic in a Mormon town.
So what'd he do, learn to fight so he could beat up all these nice guys in suits riding bikes?

Old 04-30-2011, 12:44 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,484 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SyraBrian View Post
I always run into the LDSers working the Syracuse market. They're uniformly pleasant, intelligent and exceedingly well-groomed and mannered.

Upstate New York seems to be hallowed ground for the LDSers.
In a way, it is. Palmyra is where the church was restored, founded and is also where the Golden Plates, aka the Book of Mormon, were found.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:07 PM

599 posts, read 5,730,739 times
I live in a city in Idaho that have a fairly large Mormon population (about 70%) and they have not knocked on my door one single time during the year I have lived here (at least not while I was at home). IMHO the non-Mormons are much worse to deal with than the Mormons. The non-Mormons here have a tendency to be so violent non-Mormon and for some reason feel that it is their right to tell everyone about how much they despise everything related to the Mormon religion.

I'm not Mormon, nor a member of any other religion and I believe that everyone have the right to believe whatever they want. End of story. Moving here I was a little bit concerned that I would have to respectfully turn down lots of inquiries from Mormons. Instead, it turned out that it is the non-Mormons that bothers me. My Mormon coworkers (the once I know are Mormons) never talk about religion, while my non-Mormon coworkers seem to think it's their right to "protect" me from the "evil" Mormons by informing me about all the crazy things (according to them) the Mormons believe in.

To me all people that believe in any form of organized religion are equally crazy, but it's their choice and I fully respect that.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:41 PM

1,518 posts, read 3,056,573 times
I've only been in Dallas for a few weeks so I haven't been here long enough to encounter it. In Longview, I had religious people stop by several times, usually from Longview Baptist Temple. Sometimes I'd act like I was religious and go along with what they were saying and sometimes I'd tell them I'm atheist (the truth) which effected responses from, "Umm... I don't really know what to say to that," to some spiel about how evolution was false and something about "stone turns to fossil and back to stone." (It took a lot of effort not to laugh in that guy's face. I don't know why I even tried.) But yeah, like the previous atheist in this thread, I don't like having religion forced on me. I plan on making an effort to be more blunt with these people.

Old 05-01-2011, 09:46 PM

42,554 posts, read 86,977,099 times
South Texas. I've seen them all over the world, literally. I quit arguing religion with people about 50 years ago, so I refuse to make eye contact with them or respond to them, or answer the door when they come. Luckily, they wear a uniform that makes them easy to recognize. But, considering Ive seen them in so many exotic parts of the world, I sometime want to ask them "What did you do that was so bad, that they sent you to Victoria Texas?"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.