U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 08:39 AM

318 posts, read 799,090 times

Advertisements

When I moved from Detroit to rural CO, it was total religious culture shock. Where I grew up, Jehovas' Witnesses would make their rounds around town maybe once or twice a year, and the weirdest thing they ever did was ask to come inside.

...then I moved to CO. And moved to a college campus with LDS churches on 3 sides. Very interesting experience, lol.

So I'm curious: Where do you live (be as general or specific as you want) and do you ever encounter mormon prosletizers?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 09:11 AM

97 posts, read 292,945 times
Orem, Utah. I encounter them from time to time and am about to become one myself.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:21 AM

4,797 posts, read 8,130,881 times
We live in SE Michigan and have encountered them here from time to time, going door to door. When we lived in Glendale, AZ a couple of years ago, we encountered a lot of them. They were always very nice and polite, although the ones who came to our door were a little aggressive. My dh basically just told them what we believe based on the Bible, asked them a few questions about what they believe, and they went on their way. It was all very civil. I think that most LDS church members are nice people who feel that they have a mission to spread their personal belief system to others, same as a lot of other religions. I figure live and let live, if they're polite and listen to what I have to say then I will be polite and listen to what they have to say. They won't change my belief system, and I won't change theirs.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:34 AM

15,988 posts, read 32,103,718 times
I usually see them almost everyday where I live here in Houston. [Htown probably see them too here in Third ward.] However, no I've never had an encounter with them. I've walked past them a few times though, but they are pretty nice people. It's usually those dudes on bikes with the suits.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:35 AM

10,452 posts, read 11,282,554 times
Washington D.C. and no. Though I was told by the JW's in NC that often when we went to Bible study in the public library, the Mormons were just a table over.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:41 AM

1,027 posts, read 1,123,156 times
Frankfurt. Yes, there are American Mormon missionaries here. Kids right out of college. Some of the nicest people you would ever meet.

Last edited by JMT; 06-01-2013 at 10:49 AM.. Reason: Removed inflammatory comments.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:56 AM

870 posts, read 1,437,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mleblanc138 View Post
Orem, Utah. I encounter them from time to time and am about to become one myself.
Good luck! I'm from just north of you, and it's not long till my mission either!

(Obviously, I've seen missionaries just like you.)

Old 04-24-2011, 12:02 PM

Interesting! And in hindsight, I'm glad this conversation hasn't been taken over and turned into a flame war. I know that the "Mormon belt" includes UT, NV, parts of CO, NM, and AZ, but it's interesting to hear from people in other locales, too, as well as those who live right in the belt. I remember being shocked to come across many Mormons and Mormon churches when I was in Jamaica.

Old 04-24-2011, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
We live in SE Michigan and have encountered them here from time to time, going door to door. When we lived in Glendale, AZ a couple of years ago, we encountered a lot of them. They were always very nice and polite, although the ones who came to our door were a little aggressive. My dh basically just told them what we believe based on the Bible, asked them a few questions about what they believe, and they went on their way. It was all very civil. I think that most LDS church members are nice people who feel that they have a mission to spread their personal belief system to others, same as a lot of other religions. I figure live and let live, if they're polite and listen to what I have to say then I will be polite and listen to what they have to say. They won't change my belief system, and I won't change theirs.
Agreed. Very polite, in my experiences, except for when you aren't willing to talk at all and say "no thank you" in one way or another.

Live and let life--perfectly said.

Old 04-24-2011, 02:23 PM

1,807 posts, read 2,271,766 times
North Dallas, and haven't encountered any. I knew a Mormon guy back in high school, and I think I know of a Mormon church in my area, but haven't seen the guys in suits riding bikes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.