Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you religious at all?
Indeed I am somewhere between a little and very. 30 36.14%
No, not at all. 53 63.86%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2011, 04:55 PM

10,206 posts, read 15,910,503 times

Advertisements

I don't think they keep their heads down, they are always trying to force us to say happy holidays, to ban school prayer, to ban "Happy Easter" and to take "under God" out of the pledge of allegiance. Sometimes Jews or Muslims lead these things but most of the time its athiests. Athiests are also among the most vocal and radical feminists when it comes to abortion.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2011, 11:32 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,323,842 times
Im a catholic and my roommates are atheists. This poses absolutely no problems actually. I dont see what the big deal is.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:54 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
I don't think they keep their heads down, they are always trying to force us to say happy holidays, to ban school prayer, to ban "Happy Easter" and to take "under God" out of the pledge of allegiance. Sometimes Jews or Muslims lead these things but most of the time its athiests. Athiests are also among the most vocal and radical feminists when it comes to abortion.
I really don't think you can pin those things on one religious/non-religious groups. If these kind of laws do pass, and I'm not entirely sure this sort of thing isn't just a myth, it'd be done by councils and governments.

Taking 'under God' out, now that's different, and non-religious groups probably are responsible there, and I think it's pretty odd that a country still, in the 21st century, has a reference to something which not everyone believes in in the pledge of allegiance.

Old 04-27-2011, 10:36 AM

5,092 posts, read 8,842,323 times
What I have noticed is that a lot of atheists aren't really all that anti-theism as they are anti-Christianity. I've never met too many atheists who run around saying all Muslims are terrorists, but ask them about Christians and they're all gay bashing, bible thumping, science hating fools.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:40 AM

785 posts, read 1,881,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
What I have noticed is that a lot of atheists aren't really all that anti-theism as they are anti-Christianity. I've never met too many atheists who run around saying all Muslims are terrorists, but ask them about Christians and they're all gay bashing, bible thumping, science hating fools.
Could that not be because it is actually written in the bible that being gay is wrong, whereas, as far as I know, and I don't know far, the Koran does not specifically say that blowing yourself up is a good thing?

I do agree that as a group, we in the west do tend to focus more on being anti-christian, but that's most likely because Christianity is the dominant religion and thus it is the one we know most about and are therefore able to see it as wrong. I think 100% that all religions are wrong, but I don't know any specific beliefs of any other religions, so I can't refer to them really.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
Could that not be because it is actually written in the bible that being gay is wrong, whereas, as far as I know, and I don't know far, the Koran does not specifically say that blowing yourself up is a good thing?

I do agree that as a group, we in the west do tend to focus more on being anti-christian, but that's most likely because Christianity is the dominant religion and thus it is the one we know most about and are therefore able to see it as wrong. I think 100% that all religions are wrong, but I don't know any specific beliefs of any other religions, so I can't refer to them really.
My point is that many atheists seem a lot quicker to persecute and make generalizations about Christians than any other religious group. Disagreeing with homosexuality is not the same as being a gay basher.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:54 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,182,626 times
I'm atheist and don't ever talk about it - because I'm not religious. It's not something I think about or spend any time on, so I'm not going to sit around and talk about it. I could care less if anyone else is religious or if they want to talk about it, I normally just choose not to get involved since at the end of the day I could care less.

What I really HATE are the religious people who scream and yell about it and act all offended if I don't believe as well. I'd really love to know why they care SO MUCH about what I believe in. I don't even know them and it has nothing to do with their life.

Old 04-27-2011, 11:59 AM

Statement by the Holy See at the 16th Ordinary Session of the Human Rights Council on Religious Freedom

Old 04-27-2011, 12:04 PM

2,122 posts, read 3,683,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlGreen View Post
I would be interested to see if Atheists in other countries were quicker to criticize the major religion in their country. My instinct tells me that they would be.

Old 04-27-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunnerTHB View Post
I would be interested to see if Atheists in other countries were quicker to criticize the major religion in their country. My instinct tells me that they would be.
I'm sure of it, but that doesn't mean it isn't hypocritical. You can't pick on Christians and then soften up around Muslims or Buddhists simply because it's the "open minded" thing to do to accept immigrants and their customs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.