Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Are you religious at all?
Indeed I am somewhere between a little and very. 30 36.14%
No, not at all. 53 63.86%
Voters: 83. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2011, 02:26 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,192,720 times

Advertisements

Christians tend to make a bigger deal about Christmas than atheists. I know my private school teacher didn't celebrate it and said something to the extent about it being evil.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2011, 02:28 PM

785 posts, read 1,880,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Christians tend to make a bigger deal about Christmas than atheists. I know my private school teacher didn't celebrate it and said something to the extent about it being evil.
He sounds like he's a bit uptight and doesn't realise an excuse to be merry when he sees one. I make a huge deal of Christmas. Not in the 'this has huge significance' way, but in the 'what a wonderful time' way.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:30 PM

1,943 posts, read 3,336,211 times
I just don't talk about it.

I'm more of an Agnostic.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:46 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,849,982 times
I don't talk about it, and avoid conversations about it if someone else starts it. I feel that faith or lack thereof is something personal, and I've found in the past that peoples' opinions of me have changed once they find out my opinions and sensibilities, usually for the worse. All of a sudden, they question my motivations... they wonder if I can really be trusted as much as I have been... they start trying to push me towards their faith because they want me to fit back into the ideals they'd formed about me with their assumptions. It's not worth it.

Most of the people I know or have known who are atheists or agnostic are the same. While some people go to it out of spite due to their upbringing or something like that, most of us go to it simply because it's a personal matter: whether we believe in no god, nothing metaphysical, or we do, we simply don't believe it can be quantified and that no religions represent our ideals, we tend to do it as a matter of personal course, and don't feel it's our place to push it on other people - after all, most of us have spent our lifetime having to dodge attempts to push us into others' ideals.

Old 04-27-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 415_s2k View Post
I don't talk about it, and avoid conversations about it if someone else starts it. I feel that faith or lack thereof is something personal, and I've found in the past that peoples' opinions of me have changed once they find out my opinions and sensibilities, usually for the worse. All of a sudden, they question my motivations... they wonder if I can really be trusted as much as I have been... they start trying to push me towards their faith because they want me to fit back into the ideals they'd formed about me with their assumptions. It's not worth it.
I do quite the opposite. I push as much as I am pushed. If they ask, I tell them, and if they question my motivations, I explain and try my best to counter their misinformed ideas. If they try to push their religion upon me, I push back with reason's why they are wrong. If it's going to affect their opinion of me, maybe I don't want to be friends with them. I would never ask them, because it doesn't matter to me either way.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceTenmile View Post
He sounds like he's a bit uptight and doesn't realise an excuse to be merry when he sees one. I make a huge deal of Christmas. Not in the 'this has huge significance' way, but in the 'what a wonderful time' way.
Lol.....it's a she and the reasoning for her and her family not celebrating Christmas and most holidays was for religious purposes. The private school I attended was Christian based.

Old 04-27-2011, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Lol.....it's a she and the reasoning for her and her family not celebrating Christmas and most holidays was for religious purposes. The private school I attended was Christian based.
Well I was assuming you meant for 'religious purposes' or rather non-religious reasons. Unless they were Jehovah's Witnesses in which case, they wouldn't celebrate Christmas.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:00 PM

Quote:
Well I was assuming you meant for 'religious purposes' or rather non-religious reasons. Unless they were Jehovah's Witnesses in which case, they wouldn't celebrate Christmas.
No, I don't know what she was, but I know they weren't Jehovah witnesses. I think they were just those extremist religious types.

Old 04-27-2011, 04:17 PM

Quote:
No, I don't know what she was, but I know they weren't Jehovah witnesses. I think they were just those extremist religious types.
Extreme Christians? They would surely celebrate Christian holidays extremely, rather than not at all?

Old 04-27-2011, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Extreme Christians? They would surely celebrate Christian holidays extremely, rather than not at all?
I honestly couldn't tell you what it was, but I'm sure they weren't Jehovah Witnesses. Mind you this was about over 10+ years ago. She told us why but I honestly can't remember.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.