Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2011, 10:43 AM

30 posts, read 83,281 times

Advertisements

I know the saying too well. I grew up around Raleigh and went away for college. I always thought that I'd move back there, as it was my corner of paradise, but when I returned things weren't the same at all. I still miss the country roads, the farms, the greenery. Going "home" is like visiting a grave to me these days.

I guess paradise is a moving target. Go where you're happiest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2011, 11:08 AM

117 posts, read 160,400 times
You have some real supportive friends there.....

Old 05-03-2011, 05:26 PM

1,004 posts, read 2,771,023 times
I live in both Michigan and Iowa though have only made a move to Iowa in 2010 (ignore post entire comment did not show will edit later).

Old 05-04-2011, 04:15 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
There's certainly some truth to it.

I was born and spent my early childhood in Seattle, had fond memories, but when I came back as an adult, it had changed so much it didn't feel like the same city... and I didn't like it

We left Seattle for Boston, and even though I still love it, I don't see myself ever moving back. Spent most of my years since I was 18 in CA, and every time I leave, it just doesn't feel right now...

Old 05-05-2011, 12:19 AM

96 posts, read 165,262 times
I would say that it is true that you can't go back if you come from an area that experienced the housing boom. For instance, NC has completely changed. I started going down there in the early 90s before the sprawl took over. The state has lost all of it's character. I can understand why so many people are moving back North.

Old 05-05-2011, 12:27 AM

56 posts, read 154,220 times
I came from Maryland (Annapolis area). This state has become a concrete jungle with fast food chains, car dealerships, and 10 of everything within 20 miles.

I move to a remote area of northwestern Ohio. Total culture shock for me. Everything moved at a much slower pace and was much more spread out. It took a while to adjust but I came to like it.

Now, after moving back to Maryland, I am totally disgusted with this place and would move to anywhere that isn't the northeast in a heartbeat. I miss that slower pace, the "whatever you do is fine with me" lifestyle, no one poking their nose in your business and telling it to everyone they think knows you, etc. I can't sneeze in Maryland without half of my friends and family hearing about it. I started dating a girl, knew very little about her, just thought she was fun to be around and good looking (we are still together and I love her to death), but turns out her grandfather is a former state police chief who knows my grandfather, etc. Found that out the 3rd day I was dating her because my family recognized her last name and started shooting their mouths off to everyone.

Just remember, home is home and it always will be, but you moved away for a reason.

Old 05-06-2011, 06:51 PM

275 posts, read 836,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GSt.Claire View Post
I love Pennsylvania, and I have never adjusted to North Carolina. It's always felt like I was in an airport and my flight kept getting canceled. Now when people tell me this, it has me worried somewhat.
Have you ever been able to "go home again"?
that's how i feel about houston. ive been here a few years, but it doesn't feel like home. heck, it doesn't even LOOK like home. just based on how it looks (buildings/colors/trees), it's like i went on a vacation somewhere i didn't necessarily want to travel to and i can't return from it (except that i still have to work, and it's WAY too hot, lol). that's how i usually put it (good to know im not the only one). one can truly be unhappy in a new location, BUT i think most people have a tendency to idealize their home (or where they wish they were). it may not feel as great when you go back. i guess it just depends on how realistic you are about your expectations and whether where you want to be really is better for you than where you are. truthfully, houston has A LOT to offer...i just dont think it will ever feel like home for ME.

Old 05-06-2011, 10:16 PM

4,069 posts, read 7,313,074 times
For some reason, while reading this thread, an old song came to mind:

YouTube - The Pretenders - My City Was Gone

Old 05-06-2011, 10:43 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,726,665 times
We've moved away, then back (and now moving again, but not due to unhappiness here). It was actually very nice to return "home;" it's fun to be able to see all the places from when I was a child, and still feels odd to meet people who went to my high school, for example. I lived in my home city through college, so in many ways I feel like I already had two very different "home" experiences -- home while living at home with my parents, and home while a college student and living in my first apartment. Same city, two very different experiences and realms. Now I'm here with a child, and that provides another totally different experience. I think as long as one doesn't idealize the past, and assume that you just pick up where you left off X years ago, then it can be very easy. Obviously some of that depends on both the specific location as well as the the individuals involved. There's a certain comfort level that comes with a long time spent in a location, especially if many meaningful events happened there. We also lived for a number of years in Los Angeles, and that, too, will (I think) always feel like a second "home" to us, in part because we really felt connected to it while we lived there, and because we experienced some major life milestones there.

Old 05-21-2011, 07:12 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,575,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew61 View Post
For some reason, while reading this thread, an old song came to mind:

YouTube - The Pretenders - My City Was Gone
Great song. I believe it is about Akron.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.