Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 02:41 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,087 times

Advertisements

I disagree with Wale being a souther rapper but what about Pusha-t?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 02:42 PM

32,097 posts, read 34,702,478 times
And not only are the beats harder in Up North rap, but so are the lyrics. Very grimy. Take the following bars from Jadakiss in "Show Discipline."

"I'll make ya grandmother get on the floor/ tie her up, then beat her to a pulp, say that this is a war/ if'n the four, mackin a pump, actin I dump/ Throw her out the window then act like she jumped."

Then the beat is hard on top of that. It makes you want to don all black (including black gloves) and go kidnap somebody and hold them for ransom, right?

Last edited by BajanYankee; 09-20-2013 at 02:54 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
I disagree with Wale being a souther rapper but what about Pusha-t?
You only say that because you know who Wale is. If you played "Uptown Roamers" or "32 D.C. Boyz" without mentioning who the artist was, anyone with any type of hip hop familiarity would think he was from Down South. The same goes for Dirty Mackin and Comp. That whole region has never made much hip hop at all, but when it has, it's been decidely more southern than northern.

The Hampton Roads area is harder to pinpoint because it's mostly known for the Neptunes, Timbaland and Missy (who do not sound characteristically southern, but don't fit well with the Ruff Ryders either). My impression of Virginia overall is that they lean much more towards southern rap than northern (as do DC and Baltimore). Rarely will you go to a barbershop from DC down and hear Hov followed by Nas, followed by Styles P, followed by Freeway, followed by Memphis Bleek, followed by Fabolous, followed by Ghostface, followed by Young Chris, etc.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:54 PM

Yooo i hear that in barbershops everywhere it depends on the age of the person not necassarily the region, im from the west coast originally but live in V.A. now and i love eastcoast hip hop it's my favorite genre of rap.

Old 09-20-2013, 02:59 PM

I do agree with you on St. Louis hiphop being southern, Nelly=Country Grammer lol

Old 09-20-2013, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Yooo i hear that in barbershops everywhere it depends on the age of the person not necassarily the region, im from the west coast originally but live in V.A. now and i love eastcoast hip hop it's my favorite genre of rap.
I'm talking about those artists getting play 90% of the time. What DC barbershop will you walk into and hear that playing? Trust me, I know all of them.

And it's one thing to play the basics (Life After Death, Reasonable Doubt, etc.) and another thing to really be big on more minor artists. Nobody's listening to the Network down in Washington, DC.

Young Chris Feat. Memphis Bleek - I'm Sorry - YouTube

Old 09-20-2013, 03:23 PM

Quote:
I disagree with Wale being a souther rapper
I think you also need to realize that Washington, DC hip hop does not begin and end with Wale. There were a number of guys that came before him (even before Tabi Bonney). They just sucked and didn't make it (for good reason).

The guy who was supposed to be Wale was called Blizz. And he definitely fit the Down South mold. I remember reading an article about him in the Washingtonian magazine and his biggest gripe was that his college degree was hurting his street cred. He was probably the most promising prospect until Wale came along. There were a few others who would peddle their CDs in Adams-Morgan and elsewhere and they also fit that mold.

And this Fat Trel guy is definitely southern. I feel like you guys do not think of yourselves as southern, but you fit the profile quite nicely. It's the same way people have an idea of how they look or talk that doesn't really match with what others see and hear. I mean, seriously, how is this any different from Dirty South rap? Lyrically or production-wise?

FAT TREL - "NO LAMEz" OFFICIAL VIDEO (DIR BY @BLAQSTAR91) - YouTube

Old 09-20-2013, 03:27 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
Bajan, serious question, how's the nightlife in Brooklyn? I'll be there tomorrow and I need recommendations.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Bajan, serious question, how's the nightlife in Brooklyn? I'll be there tomorrow and I need recommendations.
The nightlife is great if you're into Jamaican and Puerto Rican clubs. Why are you coming to Brooklyn? Everybody's going to DC this weekend (including me).

My favorite club is probably Sutra. If you go to Taj II, you'll find people really working the dance floor. Anytime "Grits and Biscuits" is in NYC it's worth going to.

Old 09-20-2013, 03:41 PM

10,106 posts, read 9,963,986 times
[quote=BajanYankee;31490531]The nightlife is great if you're into Jamaican and Puerto Rican clubs. Why are you coming to Brooklyn? Everybody's going to DC this weekend (including me).[/QUOT

Just wanted to get outta Baltimore for a couple days. What's going on in DC?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.