Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2013, 03:44 PM

32,101 posts, read 34,714,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Just wanted to get outta Baltimore for a couple days. What's going on in DC?
CBC Weekend. On and poppin.

Congressional Black Caucus weekend: Younger generation keeps the party growing
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 04:16 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,516 times
I don't disagree with classifying these places as being southern (mid atlantic at most) i just don't think that hip hop is a good way of deciding it.

Old 09-20-2013, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diff1 View Post
I don't disagree with classifying these places as being southern (mid atlantic at most) i just don't think that hip hop is a good way of deciding it.
It's not the only thing to look at. But it is something that people in the black and Hispanic communities would use to distinguish between the North and South. You have to look at everyone of all different ethnicities and races. In New York, it's not like it's just white transplants providing so-called "Yankee" culture. The blacks and Hispanics (think Spike Lee or John Leguizamo) are also "Yankee." That's how you know it's the true Northeast.

The response you often hear when it comes to a place like DC is "Sure, the AA community is pretty southern, but that's about it" (as if the majority AA population is negligible). It's almost assumed that all blacks are southern in cities all across the country. And since the AA community constitutes a majority of the population, is it the case that the non-black "Yankee" population trumps that southerness? Or is it that the AA population there doesn't count? Or is it simply invisible?

And when I say that Baltimore is kinda southern, I'm talking about the black and the white people there (Dundalk, Essex, etc.). I would say that the black population in Baltimore is less southern than the black population in DC, but the super transient white population there makes it feel very different from Baltimore.

Last edited by BajanYankee; 09-20-2013 at 05:01 PM..

Old 09-20-2013, 05:14 PM

797 posts, read 1,430,516 times
I totally agree with this post!

Old 09-20-2013, 05:21 PM

Here's a good video on Black and Hispanic "Yankee" culture in Philadelphia.

Philadelphia hip hop & language - YouTube

Old 09-20-2013, 05:52 PM

10,109 posts, read 9,969,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

Nice video, but that was the culture in many cities across America. NYC, LA, Philly, Baltimore..not sure about the south, though.

Old 09-20-2013, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Nice video, but that was the culture in many cities across America. NYC, LA, Philly, Baltimore
Um, no. The Philly rap scene started in the late 1970s.

Quote:
Despite the genre's growing popularity, Philadelphia was, for many years, the only city whose contributions could be compared to New York City's. Hip hop music became popular in Philadelphia in the late 1970s. The first released record was titled "Rhythm Talk", by Jocko Henderson.

The New York Times had dubbed Philadelphia the "Graffiti Capital of the World" in 1971. Philadelphia native DJ Lady B recorded "To the Beat Y'All" in 1979, and became the first female solo hip hop artist to record music. Schoolly D, starting in 1984 and also from Philadelphia, began creating a style that would later be known as gangsta rap.
Rap and hiphop history @ rapworld.com

Hip hop wasn't even an afterthought in Baltimore in the late 70s and early 80s (when the video I linked to was filmed). Baltimore's not even on the map as far as hip hop is concerned today. But I guess Baltimore had hip hop the same way it has all those Puerto Ricans you claim exist there (all 3,107 of them according to the Census, which is about 1/50th of Philly's Boricuan population).

Quote:
...not sure about the south, though.
What are you talking about? The Geto Boys were making hip hop way before anyone in Baltimore ever was. And so was Jermain Dupri for that matter.

Old 09-21-2013, 01:40 PM

Mayor Nutter started off as a Philadelphia Hip Hop DJ in the 70s. His moniker was "Mix Master Mike."

Mayor Nutter Rappers Delight at the Opening of Mitchell & Ness with DJ Jazzy Jeff - YouTube

Mayor Michael Nutter: I Could Make a Party Happen. | JUMP: The Philly Music Project

Old 09-22-2013, 07:53 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,758 times
Black people in Chicago act and talk southern as hell but no one calls it a southern city. Baltimore and DC have southern influences, duh! but you can't call those cities southern because of it. The only reason why black people in NYC, Boston, and the rest of the "northeast" don't sound southern is because the influence Italians and the Irish has had on them and also a lot black people in NY, NJ, CT, Mass, R.I., Philly seem to be Caribbean or African so why would they have a southern accent if they have no southern roots? Philly and DE do indeed have some black people who do sound kinda southern, I would know my family migrated up there in the 50's-70's from the south but the younger generation eludes it some....

Old 09-22-2013, 07:55 AM

1,196 posts, read 2,529,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post

I didn't even press play and that video looks JUST LIKE BALTIMORE. I can see he case for DC being southern but not Baltimore, I don't care how Baltimoreans talk that city looks and feels entirely too northern to be called southern.....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.