Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2013, 09:35 AM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahatma X View Post
I didn't even press play and that video looks JUST LIKE BALTIMORE. I can see he case for DC being southern but not Baltimore, I don't care how Baltimoreans talk that city looks and feels entirely too northern to be called southern.....
That preview shot looks just Baltimore..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2013, 11:56 AM

32,113 posts, read 34,732,040 times
Quote:
Black people in Chicago act and talk southern as hell but no one calls it a southern city.
That's because Illinois was never a member of the Southern Legislative Conference. Nor did it have slave plantations. Maryland was not a northern state that blacks moved to. It was already a southern state.

Quote:
The only reason why black people in NYC, Boston, and the rest of the "northeast" don't sound southern is because the influence Italians and the Irish has had on them
Yeah, well, that's a big part of what distinguishes the Northeast from the South, right?

Quote:
Philly and DE do indeed have some black people who do sound kinda southern, I would know my family migrated up there in the 50's-70's from the south but the younger generation eludes it some....
You've actually got it backwards. When you talk to black Philadelphians who grew up in the 50s and 60s, they have an even stronger Philadelphia accent. I mean, neighborhoods like Overbrook still had a lot of Italians until the early to mid 90s. So among older blacks in the city, I've found that they sound much more like their white counterparts than the younger generation.

Old 09-22-2013, 11:59 AM

Quote:
I didn't even press play and that video looks JUST LIKE BALTIMORE.
Well, you should press play then. The point was to point out a cultural difference, which has nothing to do with architecture.

Old 09-23-2013, 11:44 AM

One of the big cultural differences between Baltimore and Philadelphia (with lingering effects in the present day).

Quote:
Manuel Deese was then an 18-year-old freshman at what was then Morgan State Teachers College. He was from Pittsburgh and was black. In Pennsylvania, he could try on clothes and shoes in department stores. He could be served at their restaurants. He came to Baltimore to study political science and found what conditions were like below the Mason-Dixon line.

"I went downtown one day and went into a White Tower and tried to order a hamburger," he said. "The manager came over and said, 'Here is your bag and get out.' It was so stupid."
Store Counters | 50 years ago, department store lunch counters opened to blacks - Baltimore Sun

Old 09-23-2013, 01:25 PM

10,110 posts, read 9,976,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
One of the big cultural differences between Baltimore and Philadelphia (with lingering effects in the present day).

Store Counters | 50 years ago, department store lunch counters opened to blacks - Baltimore Sun

Old 09-23-2013, 01:43 PM

1,196 posts, read 2,530,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KodeBlue View Post
Lol

Philly had areas where blacks would be beaten with bats if they went around em.
Same with NYC and Boston.... think southie and Howard Beach.
Northern racism was and is terrible.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:48 PM

Nobody's taken at stab at explaining how the Mid-Atlantic region has expanded over the years.

Again, the "Middle Colonies" were NY, NJ, PA and DE. The Census Bureau's definition of the Mid-Atlantic is very similar (with the exception of DE).

Now the Mid-Atlantic extends as far south as Richmond by several definitions and even goes as far south as North Carolina by some.

Any guess as to how and why this has happened? Has any other region of the country expanded?

Old 09-23-2013, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Lol

Philly had areas where blacks would be beaten with bats if they went around em.
Same with NYC and Boston.... think southie and Howard Beach.
Northern racism was and is terrible.
I'm not talking about racism. I'm talking about Jim Crow segregation. Blacks in Boston, NYC and Philly did not retain as much southerness because those cities were not segregated to the same extent. And Jim Crow made the cultures in Baltimore and DC very different from what it was in northern cities (as the Sun article shows).

Old 09-23-2013, 02:20 PM

213 posts, read 323,178 times
Quote:

You could still get that in Northern cities, sanctioned or not. And Jim Crow didn't make a place Southern, as I described before. It existed in states besides not Maryland not usually considered part of the South (Kansas and Missouri) for example. Besides the Jim Crow factor, Baltimore and D.C. were culturally identical to Philadelphia. You also have changed your point of view...you've gone from Maryland being neither the North or the South to being full blown Southern. Shows how little anybody should believe you. Now quit being bipolar and take your medication.

Old 09-23-2013, 02:21 PM

213 posts, read 323,178 times
Quote:
Well, you should press play then. The point was to point out a cultural difference, which has nothing to do with architecture.
Segregation isn't a cultural difference. It's a legal difference. White people in Baltimore hated blacks just as much as white people in Philadelphia hated blacks. And segregation in Maryland was mild compared to the actual Southern states. Not to mention, Maryland desegregated without much resistance. If you honestly visit Baltimore today and feel like you are in Richmond before Philadelphia, you're nuts. Now get lost and get off my case. I predict you can't do it...please prove me right. On top of your inconsistent views, it would delight me to see your pure addicition to proving me wrong. Quit thinking you're right because you're not...MMMMMMMKAAAAYYYYY?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.