Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2011, 07:54 AM

51 posts, read 120,418 times

Advertisements

I have read time and again on this forum that people have moved to drastically different areas from where they're from JUST so they could own a home. Then, they complain that they do not like the area.
I don't understand this at all. What is the point of owning a home, if that house is somewhere where you don't want to be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2011, 08:04 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,310,229 times
I guess it's because to a lot of people, success and realization of the "American Dream" is home ownership. I'm not criticizing that opinion, because we have always owned our own home, I'm just answering your question. Fortunately for us, we were born and raised in a place where the COL is pretty low, so home ownership has never been a huge hurdle here like it is in other parts of the country. When I watch "House Hunters" on HGTV, I am always blown away by how expensive homes are in places like Boston, Chicago, Seattle, Denver, and especially, Southern California.

What places are you specifically referring to that people move to just to own a home and then don't like the area? I'm guessing that you're talking about the Southeast. I do think that it seems like an awful lot of people move there because they are lured by the warmer climate and lower COL and then seem shocked that there are actually (gasp!) Southerners, and bugs, and snakes, and heat and humidity, and lots of Bible believing churches there (all negatives in their haughty opinions). Wow, who'd a thunk it??? Why do people think that somewhere that is 800 miles from their hometown will be exactly like their hometown? Duh...

Old 04-28-2011, 08:45 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,788,257 times
Honestly I think its because too many people who move really don't do their research. The most common types of those moving seem to be lumped into several general categories:

1: People from Northern or Midwestern states who are " Sick of the cold"

2: People from High COL states wanting to move somewhere cheaper ( I'd probably fit within that group)

3: Retirees ( again typically from Northern or Midwestern states) wanting to move somewhere cheaper and warmer.

4: People with kids who want some sort of utopia to raise them in.

What I've seen over and over again on this and other sites are people who have probably read a few of those " Top 10 best places to live" type articles, post questions about them, and then in many cases insist that they're going to take maybe 1 or 2 quick trips down to wherever this new place is and do some house huntin' because renting first is out of the question. Then they buy ( before the school year starts of course) and then and only then do they really actually see what this new area they've moved to is like.

The reality is that anywhere new- even if its just down the block- is going to be very different. I've lived in 3 different area so far and in each and every case it has taken me probably a year or 2 to get somewhat familiar with the area. I always recommend people rent first in whatever area they move to and then make the decision as to whether they like the place or not. That to me seems like a fairly reasonable thing to do but surprisingly most do not do that.

Old 04-28-2011, 12:16 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
The problem with those people is they come and try to make the new place the same expensive crapfest they left. There is a reason why our states are cheaper and why you can afford a house here that you couldn't afford where you used to live. Keep it in mind on Election Day.

Old 04-29-2011, 12:36 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
I think it is a lack of research, as people don't think about services, how is it to live there and that you can find affordable places in the same state. For instance, out of the top 100 metros in population, the Syracuse area had the lowest foreclosure rate in the country according to a Forbes article in late 2009. I'm sure it hasn't changed either. So, it is a matter of looking at all options.

Old 04-29-2011, 04:18 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,008,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
The problem with those people is they come and try to make the new place the same expensive crapfest they left. There is a reason why our states are cheaper and why you can afford a house here that you couldn't afford where you used to live. Keep it in mind on Election Day.
After living in the Midwest for two years, I was all too happy to return to the Expensive Crapfest.

The Expensive Crapfest might be a bit cheaper if so many of our federal tax dollars were not being used to subsidize the poorer states.

And I do vote.

Old 05-01-2011, 03:39 PM

27,215 posts, read 43,923,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
After living in the Midwest for two years, I was all too happy to return to the Expensive Crapfest.

The Expensive Crapfest might be a bit cheaper if so many of our federal tax dollars were not being used to subsidize the poorer states.

And I do vote.
I would take a closer look at the dollars we send overseas, or to fund a way larger than needed military versus money spent subsidizing other Americans. Just a thought..

Old 05-01-2011, 07:54 PM

290 posts, read 547,627 times
I hope that the mindset of always buying a home when moving somewhere is changing after what we've just been through. In the past, it was no big deal to buy a house and sell it in a year because the house was almost guaranteed to appreciate. But even then it was dumb because closing closts and realtor fees to sell the place would've eaten into any savings they made by owning vs renting.

I think that some people and some areas also have more of a stigma against renting. And some areas don't have as many single family homes for rent as other places. And when a family moves, they don't want to have to move their kids into a different school district after they get to the new location. So they figure might as well buy.

But yes, totally stupid to buy a house in a new area you are not familiar with. You have no idea what your commute is going to be like, what neighborhoods you'd like to live in. I made that mistake when I moved to a new city with the apartment I chose to rent. I'm glad I didn't buy as I'd be stuck in a part of the city I hated.

Old 05-03-2011, 06:14 AM

22 posts, read 36,093 times
Default What is the point of owning a home if you don't like where it is?

Oh! This will lead to block of some very informative websites as well.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:15 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
Honestly I think its because too many people who move really don't do their research. The most common types of those moving seem to be lumped into several general categories:

1: People from Northern or Midwestern states who are " Sick of the cold"

2: People from High COL states wanting to move somewhere cheaper ( I'd probably fit within that group)

3: Retirees ( again typically from Northern or Midwestern states) wanting to move somewhere cheaper and warmer.

4: People with kids who want some sort of utopia to raise them in.

What I've seen over and over again on this and other sites are people who have probably read a few of those " Top 10 best places to live" type articles, post questions about them, and then in many cases insist that they're going to take maybe 1 or 2 quick trips down to wherever this new place is and do some house huntin' because renting first is out of the question. Then they buy ( before the school year starts of course) and then and only then do they really actually see what this new area they've moved to is like.

The reality is that anywhere new- even if its just down the block- is going to be very different. I've lived in 3 different area so far and in each and every case it has taken me probably a year or 2 to get somewhat familiar with the area. I always recommend people rent first in whatever area they move to and then make the decision as to whether they like the place or not. That to me seems like a fairly reasonable thing to do but surprisingly most do not do that.
Bam -- you nailed it! This is a great summary of what I feel as well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.