Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2011, 11:25 AM

615 posts, read 1,375,756 times

Advertisements

Has anyone been struggling to find a maintain a successful career in one area of the USA, yet attained success after moving somewhere else?

Is it possible to move somewhere else if one has not succeeded yet in their current place of residence? I have been living in the greater Phoenix area since 1999 yet I have not had career success where I am living.

Would it be possible for me to move and attain career success somewhere else, or am I stuck living where I am at and living on little or no money?

Do companies in other regions of the USA even seriously consider someone who is willing to relocate? It would be much easier for a company to hire someone who is already living in the area where the job is located, so that is why I feel most employers are not willing to consider people who are not already living near the site of the job.

Does one's problems travel with them when they move somewhere else, or can a change of scenery help someone improve the quality of their life?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2011, 12:10 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Yes. There is no doubt that some U.S. cities and metro areas are much more of a hotbed of different kinds of jobs than others. It depends on your educational background, work experience and other qualifications.

Old 05-07-2011, 03:05 PM

27,231 posts, read 43,984,073 times
Absolutely yes. I believe that many of the long-term unemployed could resolve that issue by moving somewhere in the country. Instead many sit and wait it out in cities where jobs aren't coming back. A glance at the list of cities with the lowest unemployment rates confirms that people are still clinging to the traditional large population centers.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas

Old 05-07-2011, 11:55 PM

3,804 posts, read 6,176,140 times
Depends. Some jobs are going to be nearly impossible to very successful in no matter where you live. You've got to be realistic if you're in a career of that sort. If you want to be a big time rapper it will probably be tougher to do in Fargo, ND than in Atlanta, GA, but it will be just about impossible in Atlanta, LA, or NYC to begin with. If you're a waiter you can be the best waiter in the world, but it is unlikely you'll ever get rich doing it no matter where you live.

Old 05-08-2011, 04:22 PM

615 posts, read 1,375,756 times
Default Why do so many people move out of Nebraska, when the economy there is better than most other states?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Absolutely yes. I believe that many of the long-term unemployed could resolve that issue by moving somewhere in the country. Instead many sit and wait it out in cities where jobs aren't coming back. A glance at the list of cities with the lowest unemployment rates confirms that people are still clinging to the traditional large population centers.

Unemployment Rates for Metropolitan Areas
Many people don't want to move because they feel that they can't leave their family or friends. I don't have any close relations near where I live, so that is one reason why I am able to move. However, even if I had to move away from family and friends to earn a decent living, I can still stay in touch via so many inexpensive or nearly free technological means (i.e. cell phone, text and instant messaging, Skype, webcam, Facebook, YouTube, Flickr, etc.) that didn't exist only a few years ago. If I was earning a lot of money, I could easily travel to visit people on weekends and vacations, something that I am unable to do now because I don't have money nor stability.

I applied for a job in central Nebraska, not far from Lincoln, so I hope I at least get an interview.

Nebraska has one of the lowest unemployment rates in the USA, but why do I encounter so many former Nebraskans living in Arizona? There are so many former residents of Nebraska living in Arizona, a local rradio station carries Husker football games. It seems like the economic climate in Nebraska is better than Arizona, so why don't more people stay in Nebraska?

Old 05-08-2011, 04:34 PM

27,582 posts, read 28,693,962 times
Let's be more specific. What kind of jobs are you looking for? What are your qualifications? Have you applied anywhere outside your area?

Old 05-08-2011, 09:15 PM
Status: "From 31 to 41 Countries Visited: )" (set 12 days ago)

4,640 posts, read 13,926,035 times
The short answer is yes. Someone can improve their quality of life, and career success by moving elsewhere.

However, there are many different factors in quality of life to consider.

Also, there are objective truths about a particular place but plenty of subjective things that depends on an individual that varies between different individuals in how they view a place.

Old 05-09-2011, 08:42 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,954,374 times
I thought I was going to be a pizza man forever until I moved out of CA.

I've had some mid-to-high 5-figure years since.

Old 05-09-2011, 02:43 PM

737 posts, read 1,655,457 times
Without a doubt. Moved from the southeast to the midwest, and significantly improved my income, and quality of life!

Old 05-09-2011, 02:50 PM

36,660 posts, read 67,564,755 times
Happens all the time and for many people it has less to do with moving to a specific city, but more to do with being completely outside of their comfort zone, away from parents or friends who support them when they could and should be taking care of themselves.

That was the case for one of my brothers a long time ago. Living in the Bay Area, his family was totally taking care of him but he moved to Utah, somewhere where pay is much less--and what happened? He was forced to fend for himself and today he is very successful, still living in Utah.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.