Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 03:03 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times

Advertisements

I'd say the Tidewater region really only includes the Greater Hampton Roads area, which extends into northeastern NC (Outer Banks, Elizabeth City, etc.).

There's also the Lowcountry which stretches from Georgetown, SC to the Georgia Sea Islands.

The Piedmont region also stretches through SC, GA, and AL. It roughly corresponds to the I-85 corridor and environs (and includes Greenville, Atlanta, and Birmingham).

And of course, there's the coastal plain/Deep South subregion that stretches from eastern NC to eastern TX and overlaps with the Gulf Coast, Lowcountry, and portions of the Piedmont which serves as the subregion's northern boundary.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 06:30 PM

67,650 posts, read 60,925,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Doesn't Coonass=Cajun? I thought that was the common definition (here is a lovely Wikipedia entry on it Coonass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia). There are few Coonass or Cajuns in New Orleans.

As for Birmingham, it is not the most progressive or "big city feeling" place but it still will beat just about every Georgia city when it comes to those things (sans Atlanta and maybe Savannah), at least in my opinion. I mean you like Mobile but it doesn't do any better than Birmingham in those "categories" either.
Mobile doesn't "feel" like B'Ham at all to me. It's a completely different experience in my book.

But to answer your Coonass/Cajun question - All coonasses are Cajuns but not all Cajuns are coonasses. Coonasses are the redneck version of a Cajun (Acadian).

Actually I am not technically a coonass, because I am not redneck - but I like the term so I use it to describe myself sometimes - it's got good shock value. It used to be considered a derogatory term but now days it's often used affectionately. Some people are in fact very proud of being coonasses.

Old 04-07-2014, 06:44 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Mobile doesn't "feel" like B'Ham at all to me. It's a completely different experience in my book.

But to answer your Coonass/Cajun question - All coonasses are Cajuns but not all Cajuns are coonasses. Coonasses are the redneck version of a Cajun (Acadian).

Actually I am not technically a coonass, because I am not redneck - but I like the term so I use it to describe myself sometimes - it's got good shock value. It used to be considered a derogatory term but now days it's often used affectionately. Some people are in fact very proud of being coonasses.
Mobile might not feel like Birmingham but it does not do any better than Birmingham when it comes to things like progressiveness or "big city feeling"/non-rural feeling. That is the point I was trying to make.

I know what a coonass is (not sure that I would really describe it as being a redneck but whatever), I just find it strange for a person from New Orleans to describe themselves that way. But now I somewhat see your reasoning behind using it.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:10 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Mobile might not feel like Birmingham but it does not do any better than Birmingham when it comes to things like progressiveness or "big city feeling"/non-rural feeling. That is the point I was trying to make.
I agree. Mobile may get points over Birmingham due to geography--which is pretty subjective anyway--but that's about it. Birmingham is still the predominant urban and cultural center of Alabama. And I still consider it to be the economic heart of the state also, being home to a diverse array of industries that are important to the entire state. Huntsville may have the high-wage high-tech jobs, but I still see it as something of an economic one-trick pony at this point in time.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:19 PM

Quote:

I know what a coonass is (not sure that I would really describe it as being a redneck but whatever), I just find it strange for a person from New Orleans to describe themselves that way. But now I somewhat see your reasoning behind using it.
Coonasses aren't just ANY redneck though - they are CAJUN rednecks!

"Special" rednecks! Rednecks with lots of Cajun seasonings added, if you will~!

As for Mobile vs B'ham - I just like Mobile better. I didn't say it was more progressive. It just has a better groove to it to me than B'ham.

But maybe that's because it celebrates Mardi Gras!

Old 04-07-2014, 07:21 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,924,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree. Mobile may get points over Birmingham due to geography--which is pretty subjective anyway--but that's about it. Birmingham is still the predominant urban and cultural center of Alabama. And I still consider it to be the economic heart of the state also, being home to a diverse array of industries that are important to the entire state. Huntsville may have the high-wage high-tech jobs, but I still see it as something of an economic one-trick pony at this point in time.
Adding to your comment about Huntsville, one of my sister's best childhood friends has lived in Huntsville for 30 years and has been employed at both the Space and Rocket center and the arsenal. I saw her about a month ago and asked about the whole Huntsville "we're not Alabama" thing. She basically said that while, yes, there are lots of very intelligent and driven people in Huntsville, they tend to go overboard with the "we're better than the rest of the state" thing. In her words, and this is coming from somebody who's lived there 30 years, it's STILL Alabama, and no better than the Birmingham or Mobile. But you can't tell the people who live there that. They truly do think they're above it all, their s*** don't stink ... which I've always found amusing as well.

NE Alabama, and especially many of the small towns in that part of the state, are among the most backward, racist and segregated in the entire country.

Old 04-07-2014, 07:22 PM

Quote:
I for one am very grateful for the other areas (like Huntsville and Mobile) that add character to Alabama!

Old 04-07-2014, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Definitely. Birmingham is still "the city" of Alabama. It is still, by far, the largest city (whether it is population, economy, etc.) in Alabama. Huntsville still has a ways to catch up.

Quote:
Coonasses aren't just ANY redneck though - they are CAJUN rednecks!

"Special" rednecks! Rednecks with lots of Cajun seasonings added, if you will~!

As for Mobile vs B'ham - I just like Mobile better. I didn't say it was more progressive. It just has a better groove to it to me than B'ham.

But maybe that's because it celebrates Mardi Gras!
I guess. Redneck just conjures up a different idea in my head than Coonass.

I brought up Mobile because before it seemed you were saying you do not like Birmingham because of its supposed lack of progressiveness and lack of a big city feel/non-rural feel. But then you like Mobile even though it does not do any better in those things (or does worse). But maybe I miss understood and you just meant some cultural things like Mardi Gras.

Quote:
I for one am very grateful for the other areas (like Huntsville and Mobile) that add character to Alabama!
I would say Birmingham has a lot more character than Huntsville.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:30 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LNKNE-ADJ View Post

5). Gulf South. This would include everything in the Gulf area with exception to Louisiana which has Gulf traits but is largely distinct.

6). Louisiana. Kinda bucks my whole "regional" thing in the Southern part of the state (Acadiana) but the northern half of LA isn't dissimilar from East Texas of Arkansas.
Well since you're from up north..
Louisiana influences most of the quintessential Gulf Coast from Houston over to Mobile/Pensacola.

Old 04-07-2014, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Well since you're from up north..
Louisiana influences most of the quintessential Gulf Coast from Houston over to Mobile/Pensacola.
Well he is kind of right. South Louisiana is obviously apart of the Gulf South but it also has traits that can make it its own entity too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.