Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2014, 09:01 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo_1 View Post
Well he is kind of right. South Louisiana is obviously apart of the Gulf South but it also has traits that can make it its own entity too.
But isn't Gulf South typically centered on Louisiana? Outside of the areas that Louisiana influences is only Tallahassee, Tampa, and Corpus Christi. I mean what else is there really, ya know?
Or do you mean just Louisiana? I guess I could see that but it definitely bleeds over more in the MS coast and Beaumont/Port Arthur.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2014, 09:28 PM

7,010 posts, read 11,976,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
I can see what she's saying. She's not actually calling Birmingham rural she's saying that it feels pretty rural. It's just a certain vibe that it gives off. It's not a bad thing at all but I feel the same when I'm in Alabama.

I think the most advanced city (overall) in Alabama is Huntsville.
Rural is not the best, or even a good choice of words when describing Birmingham. Even the mood of the people is different. Birmingham people are a lot different from the rest of people in Alabama, it's kind of like Atlanta vs Georgia.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:34 PM

814 posts, read 1,476,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
But isn't Gulf South typically centered on Louisiana? Outside of the areas that Louisiana influences is only Tallahassee, Tampa, and Corpus Christi. I mean what else is there really, ya know?
Or do you mean just Louisiana? I guess I could see that but it definitely bleeds over more in the MS coast and Beaumont/Port Arthur.
A large part of the Gulf Coast does share some cultural similarities and histories (don't know if I would say Louisiana "influences" them). But Louisiana also has some traits that separate it too. So Louisiana is apart of the larger Gulf South region but Louisiana can also be considered its own entity as well. I understand that it is strange to not include Louisiana in the definition of Gulf South (leaving this empty space in the middle of the map) but it does make some sense (especially if one is trying to get more specific regions of the South defined). There is bleed over into the surrounding areas (like the MS coast and part of Texas, both of which Louisiana does somewhat influence) but even in those areas the traits are less concentrated than in actual South Louisiana.

Last edited by Jimbo_1; 04-07-2014 at 09:44 PM..

Old 04-07-2014, 09:52 PM

Quote:
A large part of the Gulf Coast does share some cultural similarities and histories (don't know if I would say Louisiana "influences" them). But Louisiana also has some traits that separate it too. So Louisiana is apart of the larger Gulf South region but Louisiana can also be considered its own entity as well. There is bleed over into the surrounding areas (like the MS coast and part of Texas which Louisiana does influence) but even in those areas the traits are less concentrated than in actual Louisiana.
Well of course they are less concentrated, although I'm not so sure Corpus Christi and the sparsely populated areas around it can stand on it's own. Same for Tallahassee to Tampa, do they stand alone as one cultural region? Apart from the Gulf South?

I just see it as kind of redundant to further separate Louisiana as there's not much outside of it other than Tampa and Houston.
I don't think the Gulf Coast can be dissected like the East (New England coast, Mid-Atlantic, Tidewater, etc) or West (Socal?, Norcal, PNW).

Old 04-07-2014, 09:53 PM

37,882 posts, read 41,956,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I for one am very grateful for the other areas (like Huntsville and Mobile) that add character to Alabama!
I agree with Jimbo_1 that Birmingham has more character than Huntsville. Mobile can definitely hold its own on that end though; it certainly has a lot of untapped potential.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I agree with Jimbo_1 that Birmingham has more character than Huntsville. Mobile can definitely hold its own on that end though; it certainly has a lot of untapped potential.
Agreed. Mobile is a pretty nice city in a great location.
Do people in Birmingham look down on the rest of the state?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Well of course they are less concentrated, although I'm not so sure Corpus Christi and the sparsely populated areas around it can stand on it's own. Same for Tallahassee to Tampa, do they stand alone as one cultural region? Apart from the Gulf South?

I just see it as kind of redundant to further separate Louisiana as there's not much outside of it other than Tampa and Houston.
I don't think the Gulf Coast can be dissected like the East (New England coast, Mid-Atlantic, Tidewater, etc) or West (Socal?, Norcal, PNW).
I made some changes to my post above that you might have missed, whether that helps or not.

I'm just saying that Louisiana can stand alone as a cultural region apart from the Gulf South. It has enough separating traits to stand alone, whether the remaining Gulf South region is too small or not doesn't really matter that much in my eyes. But, yes, even areas like Corpus Christi or Tampa are pretty different from Mobile, for example (even though that other posters post doesn't seem to mention Texas or Florida). I understand that it can seem a little too complicated or maybe even redundant to start removing all these little parts but it does make some sense. That whole stretch along the Gulf coast is not homogeneous and even the central portion isn't all the same either. So, yes, to keep things simple South Louisiana is apart of the Gulf South but to be more specific, South Louisiana can be separated too.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:32 PM

Quote:
I made some changes to my post above that you might have missed, whether that helps or not.

I'm just saying that Louisiana can stand alone as a cultural region apart from the Gulf South. It has enough separating traits to stand alone, whether the remaining Gulf South region is too small or not doesn't really matter that much in my eyes. But, yes, even areas like Corpus Christi or Tampa are pretty different from Mobile, for example (even though that other posters post doesn't seem to mention Texas or Florida). I understand that it can seem a little too complicated or maybe even redundant to start removing all these little parts but it does make some sense. That whole stretch along the Gulf coast is not homogeneous and even the central portion isn't all the same either. So, yes, to keep things simple South Louisiana is apart of the Gulf South but to be more specific, South Louisiana can be separated too.
Agree to disagree?

Old 04-07-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Agree to disagree?
Sure.

Old 04-08-2014, 07:00 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
The only state I haven't been too is Louisiana out of this group. But the impression I got from each state is basically Mississippi is the rural state and generally much more country than urban or even suburban.

Alabama feels kind of like a Rust Belt state, in that it felt like there used to be a fair amount of industrial presence but some parts of the state have suffered from deindustrialization. There's a little bit of urban decay here and there. No where near as bad as any Rust Belt area though. One thing I remember is that the terrain in the northern half of the state is pretty beautiful and mountainous.

Georgia is pretty much the boom state with development all over the place. Even while being 40 miles from downtown Atlanta, it felt like I was never far from a new subdivision with big mcmansions. Atlanta itself feels like a spread out big city. That's not really a complaint, but really just an observation having only seen most of the city from the freeway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.