Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2014, 10:49 AM

4,209 posts, read 4,743,276 times

Advertisements

Georgia is ahead of all of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2014, 10:55 AM

7,480 posts, read 6,256,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've lived in Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia, and driven through MS so many times I've lost count. From where I stand, here are some differences (sorry for any repeats):

1. Alabama and Georgia both have the foothills of the Appalachians in their northern reaches. LA and MS don't have any hint of mountains.

2. Louisiana is steeped in French influence and the other states have very little French influence. In fact, in Louisiana, counties are called parishes and the state laws are based on the Napoleanic laws. Cajun/Creole food is unlike any other cuisine.

3. Accents vary widely in each state.

4. Georgia is the only one of these states with an Atlantic coastline. There's a huge difference between the Atlantic and the Gulf coasts, including a lot of cultural differences.

5. To me, Georgia in general has a more genteel and sophisticated feel to it (in many areas) compared to the other three states, which are a lot more "country" and "rural" in atmosphere overall. This is a generalization of course.

6. Louisiana and Mississippi both are greatly influenced by the Mississippi River, which the other states don't have in the picture at all.

The weather is similar throughout this region (starting in East Texas and including SC and southern AR as well). There are many similar foods but also many very different regional cuisines.
Lots of French influence in the Ocean Springs , d'iberville area. The French established an outpost there in 1699.

Old 03-29-2014, 01:17 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,297,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLegend View Post
Im originally from AL but just moved around quite a bit.
Mississippi is a bit better than Louisiana but the job market and the area for growth suck in this place. It is definitely more low income than I have ever experienced in my entire life (and boy have I covered a lot of ground). I do believe that there is absolutely nothing to this city except it's closer to AL but is in no comparison at all.
Louisiana is most certainly a place you would want to visit. New Orleans offer things that NO other parts of Louisiana will offer but this state is definitely most worst of the four. This state is more Oil/Water as well as shipyards to the core. This place is very much built for a man to make a lot of money considering he dont mind going offshore. However, the people are the Get Over type and they have more schemes and trifled ways that it makes you sick to your stomach. If you are not from there, you definitely dont want to live there. Consequently, more men flock to this place because of jobs. One good thing about this state is it's easy for individuals with felons to get a job than any of the other three states.
In my opinion, I would live in GA, visit family in AL, never think about MS and completely wipe out LA more or less.
So Louisiana has a better job market, economy, and overall future but Mississippi is better?

You had a bad experience and you blame it on everyone. lol
I did not know state lines held so much power as to induce a culture of trickery and "getting over", I mean that must be why we always have so many Mississippi plates in Louisiana?

Old 03-29-2014, 01:25 PM

3,071 posts, read 8,021,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
So Louisiana has a better job market, economy, and overall future but Mississippi is better?

You had a bad experience and you blame it on everyone. lol
I did not know state lines held so much power as to induce a culture of trickery and "getting over", I mean that must be why we always have so many Mississippi plates in Louisiana?
Yes, Annie I was wondering the same thing? Seems like we are flooded with Mississippi plates these days.

Old 03-29-2014, 10:24 PM

1,076 posts, read 1,395,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonta4 View Post
Georgia is ahead of all of them.
Why? Because Georgia's current state flag is patterned after the original flag of The Confederate States of America and recently approved Confederate Battle Flag license plates. OK

Last edited by Aceter; 03-29-2014 at 10:36 PM..

Old 03-31-2014, 09:49 AM

5,002 posts, read 9,149,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I've lived in Louisiana, Alabama, and Georgia, and driven through MS so many times I've lost count. From where I stand, here are some differences (sorry for any repeats):

5. To me, Georgia in general has a more genteel and sophisticated feel to it (in many areas) compared to the other three states, which are a lot more "country" and "rural" in atmosphere overall. This is a generalization of course

Outside of Atlanta how is that so ? Even parts of the Atlanta metro is just as rural as Monroeville ,Al

Old 03-31-2014, 10:05 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,616,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aceter View Post
Why? Because Georgia's current state flag is patterned after the original flag of The Confederate States of America and recently approved Confederate Battle Flag license plates. OK
Are we really going to go there?

In terms of infrastructure, education, being progressive, business-oriented, growth and overall importance...Georgia is far ahead of these states.....In fact, GA is tiers above these states.

Old 04-01-2014, 10:44 PM

8 posts, read 13,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PortCity View Post
Mobile and Baldwin Counties in southern Alabama is 70 % Catholic due to French and Spanish history....The Creole influence in Alabama isn`t as heavy as it is in Louisiana but there are Creole churches,fire houses,schools ,cottages and neighborhoods that are still standing and prominent in the dense Urban historic areas of Mobile.Navigating the streets of historic Mobile it would be very noticeable that the houses in Mobile look like they belong in the Caribbean and some have a very strong Spanish flair ..The Houses in Mobile reflect the European power that governed the area during the time....The Mobile area is more identifiable with the Pensacola area and Mississippi Gulf Coast than it is with the rest of Alabama.

The Alabama Gulf Coast is entirely different from the rest of Alabama....The only difference between Birmingham,Montgomery,and Huntsville is size and topography...When it comes to the Alabama Gulf Coast the difference goes beyond size and topography.
While I agree with the rest of your post this bit is wrong. While Birmingham and Montgomery are aren't very different, Huntsville and North Alabama in general is completely different. Much more in common with East Tennessee and NW Georgia than Birmingham or Montgomery. Closer as well.

Old 04-01-2014, 11:56 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdw1084 View Post
Are we really going to go there?

In terms of infrastructure, education, being progressive, business-oriented, growth and overall importance...Georgia is far ahead of these states.....In fact, GA is tiers above these states.
Too bad the vast majority of that progress is bottled in Atlanta and not spread more throughout the state.

Old 04-02-2014, 09:08 AM

2,856 posts, read 4,616,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Too bad the vast majority of that progress is bottled in Atlanta and not spread more throughout the state.

Considering that fact that nearly 75% of Georgia live within an hour of metro Atlanta would probably explain why that's the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.