Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-04-2011, 01:15 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times

Advertisements

I am trying to save up money so I can leave ugly NOVA.
I hate the congestion, weather, and boringness of this region.
I'd rather be somewhere that I could have fun, meet nice people, and go to the beach.

I am wondering, if I get 10K, which of these places make sense. Please chime in.

1) Miami
2) Ft. Lauderdale
3) Tampa
4) Somewhere else in FL
5) NYC
6) San Diego
7) SF
8) Somewhere else in CA

I am thinking Ft. Lauderdale/Tampa/Florida or SD/SF/CA.
Why?
The NE is cold (both in weather and people).
Problem with CA is, it would be a long move and don't know if I could afford it with 10K.
Problem with FL is the damn humidity.

For somebody young and with 10K relocating from the mid-atlantic, which makes sense.
I love the beach, and want to enjoy that and be in a more friendly area.
Job wise, expense wise, overall, where?
Discuss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2011, 01:19 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
That is hilarious because as soon as I read this, I said New Orleans in my head. I would move anywhere with a job, just has to be warm and coastal.

Old 05-05-2011, 01:32 PM

299 posts, read 641,845 times
I would use that money to take a nice long road trip that would last at least a couple of months. I'm interested in visiting areas of America most people are not aware of. The Great Lakes region is under my sights at the moment, especially Michigan and Wisconsin.

Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 PM

765 posts, read 1,861,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hudlander View Post
I am trying to save up money so I can leave ugly NOVA.
I hate the congestion, weather, and boringness of this region.
I'd rather be somewhere that I could have fun, meet nice people, and go to the beach.

I am wondering, if I get 10K, which of these places make sense. Please chime in.

1) Miami
2) Ft. Lauderdale
3) Tampa
4) Somewhere else in FL
5) NYC
6) San Diego
7) SF
8) Somewhere else in CA

I am thinking Ft. Lauderdale/Tampa/Florida or SD/SF/CA.
Why?
The NE is cold (both in weather and people).
Problem with CA is, it would be a long move and don't know if I could afford it with 10K.
Problem with FL is the damn humidity.

For somebody young and with 10K relocating from the mid-atlantic, which makes sense.
I love the beach, and want to enjoy that and be in a more friendly area.
Job wise, expense wise, overall, where?
Discuss.
You could try Chicago. It is not too expensive, great city, lots of things to do, and during the summer months, the beach culture is there. Chicago is known for its world-class restaurants, great bars and nightlife. It's a great sports town too. Although it sucks there in February, it is certainly miles better than NOVA. So perhaps moving somewhere in the Northside section of Chicago will help. That is a hip and trendy section of Chicago where you could definitely meet young people and enjoy a simple life. Just bundle up during the winter months and you'll be fine.

I could say Miami, but Miami can get VERY bland outside South Beach (which is super expensive anyways) and its too frigging hot all year. California is too damn expensive and so is NYC. You could try Philly...its a big city with affordable housing, but no beaches nearby (at least 1+ hour away). Thus, I am only left with Chicago as a good suggestion. A great, big city with 4 seasons and beaches.

Old 05-06-2011, 02:52 PM

1 posts, read 1,452 times
You should move to Boston. I hear the Celtics are hiring geography majors.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 PM

1,264 posts, read 2,439,018 times
bump

Old 06-11-2011, 12:33 AM

1,528 posts, read 6,289,953 times
You live in DC??
DC is not boring...... If you grow up somewhere you like it's boring, more often then not.

I guess you could move anywhere with 10k as long as you managed yourself conservatively ... doing well there is a different story.
Chose what you live.

You should go to Raleigh or Austin. Not exactly ON the beach, but not THAT far from one. Beaches get old anyway, go where the young people are.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:08 PM

1,223 posts, read 2,266,847 times
You don't like NoVA? *shrugs* FWIW I live there and use to live in Miami. It is one of the biggest changes that you can make. Depending on your desired living condition you can live in both NYC (NOT MANHATTAN) or Miami Beach. if you are young without a Job lined up you should 1. Not be picky and 2. Be down for some roomates. nYC and Miami would be the front runners for an exciting change. I would also recommend you learn how to wait tables or bartend. Those are the easiest quick jobs available in almost every city.

Old 06-11-2011, 08:21 PM

16,508 posts, read 26,312,844 times
Ft. Lauderdale for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.