Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2007, 03:01 PM

3,742 posts, read 8,391,087 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
Are draw bridges the big old metal ones that they lift for boat,because if so Cleveland has alot of those.
No draw bridges here, we have ferry boats in some places on the Mississippi on the northern/northwestern outskirts of the Mississippi River, close to where the Illinois River flows into it. the Mississippi generally only carries barge traffic, and most bridges over the Mississippi I believe are high enough for any type of boat to pass through on them. At the same time, I've noticed much larger boats than any I've seen on the Mississippi in the harbors of the Cuyahoga River downtown just before Lake Erie....but no...I generally don't think that there is a need for them, either because ships of those sizes are prohibited on the Mississippi, Missouri, and Ohio Rivers or because the bridges are high enough over the water that the draw bridges are unnecessary. If we had draw bridges traffic would be an absolute nightmare downtown....St. Louis has traffic coming through its metro area from just about everywhere in the country everyday in addition to its local traffic...if we had draw-bridges and a ship happened to come through during rush hour, MASSIVE, MASSIVE backups would occur. Most of St. Louis' cargo either comes via trains or vehicle or plane. It's great highway system and the availability of Amtrak i think eliminates the need for any types of ships. I've never seen a cruise ship come through St. Louis the whole time i've lived here. New Orleans is a different story but I suspect that is because like Cleveland, New Orleans is located on a much more massive body of water than a river.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2007, 03:05 PM

2,367 posts, read 7,652,142 times
On the Great Lakes you see big giant barges all the time.And there usually isn't that much traffic in Downtown Cleveland.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:16 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,260 times
Pittsburgh has the most bridges. Most are very old and rusty and need repair.
Almost every type of bridge.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:19 PM
PPG

509 posts, read 1,423,260 times
Almost every type of bridge. That bridge in Minn. was only 40 years old, Pittsburgh has some over 100.

Old 08-03-2007, 03:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTownNative View Post
On the Great Lakes you see big giant barges all the time.And there usually isn't that much traffic in Downtown Cleveland.
THat's because I-271 provides relief for I-77 and I-71 traffic headed towards Interstate 90 and Interstate 80 bypasses Cleveland to the South. With St. Louis , you have four interstates heading downtown that are essentially all very important corridors in the United States (I-70, I-64, I-55, I-44)....with construction of the new I-70 bridge, several things will happen....number one, through traffic traveling from Louisville to KC will have the option of bypassing downtown altogether with a new section of road connecting I-64 westbound traffic in Illinois to the new I-70 bridge (approximately 3 miles north of the Poplar Street bridge and maybe 2 miles north of downtown, on its northern tip), KC and Indy traffic might be more tempted to use I-70 instead of I-270 through St. Louis with the reduction of I-70 mileage on both sides of the river (I-70 between the two points it intersects I-270 is approximately 38 miles, I-270 is approximately 31 miles)....the new bridge would shorten I-70 to approximately 32 or 33 miles on both sides of the river. My thing with I-70 is I don't understand why the MLK bridge wasn't just demolished altogether and an I-70 bridge built in its place...that is where I-70 should have been in the first place if you ask me. THe ingenuity of St. Louis' highway system is that it essentially does not force any type of traffic to go downtown except for traffic which needs to pass through downtown (example, I-70 to I-64, I-70 to I-55 (although traffic east of I-270 can take I-270 south to I-55 or I-44), and I-70 to I-44. I could probably tell everyone on here the quickest and most efficient way to navigate St. Louis. I-255 and I-270 essentially make St. Louis work. I-70 westbound once it is in Missouri takes over I-64 traffic, so the amount of traffic on it essentially doubles....I-270/Highway 370 allows traffic from Indy to avoid running smack dab into the traffic of Louisville by providing a slightly faster route through St. Louis that essentially helps avoid any congestion whatsoever...meanwhile I-70 heads downtown to pick up traffic from Louisville heading towards Kansas City. I-255 in the meantime provides an important bypass route for northbound traffic wishing to take I-64 east to Louisville or I-70 east to Indianapolis or I-55 to Chicago by crossing the Mississippi south of downtown and then turning north to intersect I-64, I-55, and I-70. It is longer overall than I-55, but I-55 has a speed limit of 60 most of the time and I-255 is 65 mph once it is in Illinois, plus I-55 also carries a lot of local traffic too. Kansas City has a lot more interstate highways than us to relieve their congestion, but the disadvantage is that they are not as neatly laid out as St. Louis. I'd say that Indianapolis probably has the second-most efficient interstate highway system behind us in the Midwest....I-465 is pretty much a decent bypass route of Indianapolis for any type of route, although I'm not sure if I-74 should've been merged onto I-465, that didn't strike me as being such a great idea. The southern portion of I-465 provides a nice bypass for I-70 through traffic (I-70 through the Indy metro is 17 miles...the distance on I-465 between I-70 east of Indy and west of Indy is 19 miles...to me that equivocates with a good bypass route...that's essentially only a minute or two longer and in general I'd say the better route because I-70 has to merge with I-65 downtown).

Last edited by ajf131; 08-03-2007 at 03:33 PM..

Old 08-03-2007, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPG View Post
Almost every type of bridge.
If Pittsburgh has the most, I would imagine that St. Louis is not that far behind it. St. Louis and Pittsburgh are very similar to one another anyway. A little curious PPG...I know that I-70 used to run through Pittsburgh before it was rerouted south of it...which bridge was it on when it went through Pittsburgh, the Highway 22 bridge?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.