U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2011, 04:19 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,866,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Well what you describe isn't what I've experienced at all, and even though I'm 20, I think I've been here around people long enough to form a pretty good opinion. Honestly you seem a little out of touch, not to be mean at all but how old are you. I'm not saying there's no people who don't do that here, but it's nowhere near as far reaching as you make it sound and especially not with people my age and younger. I've very rarely seen people limit Americans just to whites, and when they did they left out groups like Italians, Slavs and other white ethnics too. Most of the people I've known who narrowed down "Americanism" never left out blacks, Asians and Mexicans or Dominicans or all or most Hispanics sure, but not blacks. I've been left out as un-American as an immigrant white before blacks were by whites and blacks.
I'm in my 20s. I just see this country for what it is.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 06:53 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,326,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
I'm in my 20s. I just see this country for what it is.
You see what you want to. Your experiences don't match with mine, because obviously we haven't seen all the same things. You can't generalize about the social conditions of a vast and hugely diverse country of 310 million anymore than I can.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:19 PM

1,154 posts, read 1,866,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
You see what you want to. Your experiences don't match with mine, because obviously we haven't seen all the same things. You can't generalize about the social conditions of a vast and hugely diverse country of 310 million anymore than I can.
I will. Neither can you.

Old 05-16-2011, 08:34 AM

24,661 posts, read 36,432,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QweffL View Post
Well... you may wanna see uncle Jesse about that, who coined the term African-American stating that calling a Black person anything else is racist. Including "Black" and probably just "American."
That term was being used long before Jesse Jackson was even in high school.

Don't believe everything the idiots tell you.

And I do use the term African American. Beats "Negro" or "Colored" or any other contrived term used to describe the culture I come from. "Black" is a racial term - my Dad is African American, my Mom is not, but both are Black.

It'd be great if all Americans could just say they were American. If that were the case, why do I and my family have problems living near or dating or marrying other Americans, if we are all the same?

As long as people of African descent are set aside as different in the USA, I have to be African American.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:25 AM

22,769 posts, read 28,579,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you ever hear anyone refer specifically to white Americans of northern European ancestry as being 'American', with the implication that other groups are somehow 'less' American?

if you listen to various American minority groups (or far-left liberals), many of them complain that white, colonial DAR-type Americans think of themselves as "More American" than everyone else, or that the common theme among white Americans is that we think other-skinned people are "not as American."

personally, i can't say that's been my experience, but i hear these accusations routinely.

Case in point is this quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by goat314 View Post
America is an extraordinarily bigoted country. So when people think or say "Americans" they are thinking of White People. It really doesn't matter if most Black and all Indeginious cultures have been in the Americas long before Europeans immigration surges in 1800-1900s. Whites run the show and dictate who is and who isn't a real American.

Last edited by le roi; 05-16-2011 at 09:34 AM..

Old 05-16-2011, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
To the OP yes America does have this problem by the census it been well noted that many southern conservative whites mark American, the problem is they often think they’re essentially American.
Are they not Americans?

What would a better choice be? My ancestors were revolutionaries, not immigrants. They did not come to "The United States."

Last edited by le roi; 05-16-2011 at 10:09 AM..

Old 05-16-2011, 11:20 PM

24,682 posts, read 50,918,809 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
if you listen to various American minority groups (or far-left liberals), many of them complain that white, colonial DAR-type Americans think of themselves as "More American" than everyone else, or that the common theme among white Americans is that we think other-skinned people are "not as American."

personally, i can't say that's been my experience, but i hear these accusations routinely.

Case in point is this quote:
It just seems to me that while Americans are still sort of race-conscious, they do not equate whiteness to nationalism as much as Australians do. Keep in mind Australia's 'white' population is also much more homogenous than America's, being about 80% British and Irish. 30 years ago, the 'Australianess' of Italians or say Eastern Europeans was certainly questioned, but now they are pretty integrated, so I think with Asians it is only really happening now, as most of them only came later. Once a population group has been in an area for an average of more than two generations they become as Australian as anyone else.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:14 AM

4,593 posts, read 5,081,360 times
Quote:
Are they not Americans?

What would a better choice be? My ancestors were revolutionaries, not immigrants. They did not come to "The United States."
Gee colonialist is less foreign sounding than immigrant? Your ancestor were not native American, And your ancestors came to the US no different then other groups “from another places“, The problem everyone is already American who has citizenship. American is a nationality. America is a diverse county, marking that is saying your cosmopolitan, but the people who are marking are not cosmopolitan. They’re white colonial heritage ethnocentrists, everybody heritage is not white colonist but they are just as American as you. There nothing wrong with having homage to your heritage but that your heritage, but essentially American heritage no, Americans has roots all over the world from different times. The people marking "American" would not like everyone marking "American" they feel they are culturally rooted more.....
Quote:
Why? because you just said, "Are they not Americans?.......... What would a better choice be? My ancestors were revolutionaries, not immigrants. They did not come to "The United States"

And save the political slurs they don't help.

//www.city-data.com/forum/gener...tes-exist.html yes i'm this the Aware this the internet.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiatldal View Post
Gee colonialist is less foreign sounding than immigrant?
"Colonialist" is your word. I said "Revolutionary" because I can't find any ancestors who arrived in the new world after 1776; although technically most of them would've also been regular old subjects of the British crown, rather than "Revolutionaries". Also, some of them came from France and the united provinces, so technically they "immigrated", although they were never immigrants to the United States, only the British colonies.

Quote:
Your ancestor were not native American
Not in any significant numbers, no. Records of marriage and ethnicity in the 17th century were not accurate and well-kept. Somebody thinks we're related to Attakullakulla but I think they just have an active imagination.

Quote:
And your ancestors came to the US no different then other groups “from another places“
No, they moved to the British empire. The U.S. did not exist. It may be a technicality but I like to make some attempt to be correct, particularly if it's something i take pride in.

Quote:
The problem everyone is already American who has citizenship.
Why is that a problem?

Quote:
American is a nationality. America is a diverse county, marking that is saying your cosmopolitan, but the people who are marking are not cosmopolitan. They’re white colonial heritage ethnocentrists, everybody heritage is not white colonist but they are just as American as you. There nothing wrong with having homage to your heritage but that your heritage, but essentially American heritage no, Americans has roots all over the world from different times.
I only a vague idea of what you just said.

The question stands, though - if a person is white, and their ancestors have been in America for 9 or 10 generations, what ethnicity should they mark instead of "American"?

Quote:
The people marking "American" would not like everyone marking "American" they feel they are culturally rooted more.....
Says who? You don't know that. You're just pulling things out of your ass, liberal. For all you know, the people marking "American" would prefer it if everyone would mark "American" instead of trying to divide everyone into little groups.

Quote:
Why? because you just said, "Are they not Americans?.......... What would a better choice be? My ancestors were revolutionaries, not immigrants. They did not come to "The United States"
yeah and that's true. And you never answered my question.

Quote:
And save the political slurs they don't help.
Oh, is "Liberal" a slur now?

Did you come up with a replacement name for this political orientation?

Last edited by le roi; 05-17-2011 at 02:17 PM..

Old 05-17-2011, 07:31 PM

4,593 posts, read 5,081,360 times
Quote:
"Colonialist" is your word. I said "Revolutionary" because I can't find any ancestors who arrived in the new world after 1776; although technically most of them would've also been regular old subjects of the British crown, rather than "Revolutionaries". Also, some of them came from France and the united provinces, so technically they "immigrated", although they were never immigrants to the United States, only the British colonies.
Caucasian or there European background, they are not native, blacks can‘t find there roots also, Africa is vast place, the term African American comes about because blacks can‘t be specific. You can’t be specific hell you know they came from Europe, the point is they came to this land, no matter what it‘s call then or now. And the majority people who do mark American, do not care a damn about native culture. That would mean the native American culture is less American the “American” which where the white colonist who came later and everyone else ancestors came from a foreign land but the white people marking American.

Quote:
Not in any significant numbers, no. Records of marriage and ethnicity in the 17th century were not accurate and well-kept. Somebody thinks we're related to Attakullakulla but I think they just have an active imagination.
Get a DNA test, a of right now your not native American, then on top of that do you care about that group culture the way care the “Revolutionaries” Do want learn their heritage, language and etc. They’re native un like foreign “Revolutionaries” who came here get it? If any group was just call American it should be them.

Quote:
No, they moved to the British empire. The U.S. did not exist. It may be a technicality but I like to make some attempt to be correct, particularly if it's something i take pride in.

Why is that a problem?
everyone is already American who has citizenship, meaning people who marking are no different then the people who actually mark they ethnicity, American is no one ethnicity! It’s there nationality.

Quote:
I only a vague idea of what you just said.

The question stands, though - if a person is white, and their ancestors have been in America for 9 or 10 generations, what ethnicity should they mark instead of "American"?
You pride your self that ancestors “Revolutionaries” which were largely white colonist, and call it “American” as if there the original people, the native don’t matter and every one else are immigrants, And every else aren’t all Americans. American is your nationally not ethnicity. Your ethnicity is Caucasian or a European background.

Quote:
Says who? You don't know that. You're just pulling things out of your ass, liberal. For all you know, the people marking "American" would prefer it if everyone would mark "American" instead of trying to divide everyone into little groups.
Because they pride themselves your term “Revolutionaries”.. there own white ancestors and care little about the native, and little about the people culture who follow, then say everyone else is dividing. They expect everyone else to care little about there own heritage. And they expect everyone to center on there’s. Two things can come from this you either have a nut saying other groups are not American or you have the type who have bad intercultural competence the ability to successfully communicate with people of different cultures. So they say America is dividing because diversity is a barrier to them.

Again with slurs, And no, with in these forums alone I encounter posters with this ideology, nice try.

Quote:
yeah and that's true. And you never answered my question.
I said “And your ancestors came to the US no different then other groups “from another places“ and came back said “No, they moved to the British empire. The U.S. did not exist.” They move Europe the native American giving a damn about Americans. They came from another place.

Quote:
Oh, is "Liberal" a slur now?

Did you come up with a replacement name for this political orientation?
No, and yes I’m liberal but I haven’t even began to inject politics, you keep, saying liberal, liberal, liberal, as a way to turn this political, and when it become political this debate will become irrational. So calling me liberal is your escape goat to be irrational, you can save it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.