Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: You feelings about winteri
I LOVE winter 69 55.65%
I HATE winter with a passion 55 44.35%
Voters: 124. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2011, 02:25 PM

12,283 posts, read 35,688,247 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smtchll View Post
If anything I hear more Southern people complaining about how cold it is in the winter; because in the winter, people on CD like to brag about how bad they have it. Then Northern people will reply back and say that they have it MUCH worse.

In the summer, people are on here talking about how miserably hot it is where they are. It goes both ways. People want to seem like they have it worse. But then in other threads they wanna make it seem like they have better weather. It doesn't make sense.
I don't disagree! It's some cyber-badge of honor apparently!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2011, 03:06 PM

9,726 posts, read 16,740,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Do people in the South not have AC, no shorts to wear, and not work indoors either? Just like you can avoid the cold in the north with heat and being indoors, you can do the same thing in the South with AC.

If you don't mind the cold and can deal with it, then good for you. But I think the difference for many is dealing with the snow. You don't have to shovel sunshine or heat. Hot weather does't shut down airports or highways like blizzards do. There is a big difference between driving on roads with snow and ice versus driving on a road when it's hot outside. You tend to have to deal with more stuff with cold weather BUT some people don't mind it and that's fine, everyone has their preferences and tolerances for certain types of weather.
I live in the South and work in a warehouse with no AC. Also, shorts only help a little. In the summer here I can't remove enough clothes to cool off. And I can't afford to keep my AC low enough for me to be truly comfortable (<66). But that's okay, because I'm moving away from this place and its heat as soon as possible.

Old 05-11-2011, 03:36 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,194,898 times
I'm pretty sure people move where the jobs and other economic benefits are more than anything.

Old 05-12-2011, 08:56 AM

93,301 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omahahonors View Post
I'm pretty sure people move where the jobs and other economic benefits are more than anything.
Like Omaha? (underrated area-BTW)

Old 05-12-2011, 12:13 PM

7 posts, read 38,997 times
Like winter, although I have to drive to see snow where I currently live. I would never move somewhere because of the weather

Old 05-12-2011, 01:19 PM

1,521 posts, read 3,598,365 times
I don't mind the cold or the snow. It's the grey overcast days that get to me. I like the variety the four seasons brings.

FWIW, I'd rather be a little chilly than hot and sweaty.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:06 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,054,423 times
I don't hate winter, but there are certain times of the spring I hate. Late March, specifically March 28th and March 29th until about 10:30 am. Not that crazy about October 18th either.

Old 05-13-2011, 02:24 PM

12,384 posts, read 28,513,296 times
I must say, I do not enjoy winter, heat doesn't bother me (I grew up in Florida) ... I think some of the cities up north are worth putting up with it though. It is more the short days and lack of sunshine than the actual temperature though, it starts to effect my mood and it's noticeable. I don't really like being cooped up in doors, doing long runs when the ground is covered in black ice, slush is pretty annoying and the dry cold air can induce mild asthma for me. Winters also to me, start to wear on you after a few bad ones in a row. It's all what you are used to. I start getting cold below 50 (I'm tall and skinny), others start getting hot in the 70s. I'll take 90+ over *anything* below freezing. Weather is only one aspect of many though when choosing to live somewhere.

Last edited by grapico; 05-13-2011 at 02:35 PM..

Old 05-13-2011, 05:21 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,860,933 times
30 years of southern summers pretty much cured me of any inklings I might of had of hating winter.

Old 05-13-2011, 05:33 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,309,027 times
There's something really special about a winter day when you have nowhere to be and you can sit wrapped in a blanket with a cup of coffee and watch the snow fall outside your window.

Why do people, at least here on C-D, tend to act like the northern states have one season--winter? I live in Michigan and right now it is balmy, slightly humid really, 78 degrees, the grass and trees are all shades of glorious green, the sky is brilliantly blue, and it's an overall gorgeous day. We won't see snow again until December, and then it won't be much, that will come in January and February. I even own shorts and flip-flops! Who'da thunk it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.