Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 01:42 PM

1,214 posts, read 2,520,115 times

Advertisements

I was looking at some pics of light pollution and they really interested me.

Like this one, I realized I've never seen the sky look like it does in the top half of this picture in person in my life, ever. The bottom half is more what I'm used to, with less stars even.

And this one. The left half is a normal sky and the right one is from Provo, Utah. The right half is way less impressive than the left but it's still much more than I'd be used to over here.

I don't have any problem with light pollution though, I like my empty skies fine because that's what I'm used to and it can be pretty too. There isn't any snow in this picture but one of my favorite things about when it snows is that at night there's so much light reflecting off of it, it turns the sky bright red. It can be like this but redder or darker, lots of variety. You could walk around all night and see everything very clearly.

But the point is, I was wondering what light pollution is like in some other areas of the country after I saw that pic of Utah. And, what do people think about it, do you like it, hate it, don't care.

And check out this link. What do people think about the US being this bright by 2025? The East Coast looks crazy. (It's also cool to see CA and the South growing from the 50's on)
http://www.wired.com/images_blogs/wi...lution-nih.jpg

And another link showing Europe just because I thought it was interesting.
http://www.lightpollution.org.uk/ima...ropeGrowth.jpg

I'll check back here later if anyone was interested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2011, 02:57 PM

299 posts, read 641,845 times
At this rate, Our currently degrading infastructure won't be able to handle that amount of lighting by 2025.

Old 05-12-2011, 03:03 PM

299 posts, read 641,845 times
Quote:
But the point is, I was wondering what light pollution is like in some other areas of the country after I saw that pic of Utah. And, what do people think about it, do you like it, hate it, don't care.
I hate light pollution. There is quite a bit of air pollution where I live on the Gulf coast, but you can still see a few stars like in the second picture from the top.

Old 05-12-2011, 04:27 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,558,648 times
I've been in a rural mountainous part of Northwest Arkansas and I'm not sure the sky was ever quite that impressive. Although they seem to list NW Arkansas as a bit brighter than I thought. Still I think I've been in the average brightness areas and rarely or never seen it that impressive.

One thing is even in many areas with low light pollution there's often cloud-cover. Still I do like being where you can see the stars fairly well and I missed that if I went urban. Although there is something pretty about looking at the bright city too.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:03 PM

575 posts, read 1,371,494 times
Default milky way

Let's put it this way: I live in Cincinnati and the picture on the right is what I see on clear nights.
I've seen the Milky Way only ONCE in my life--30 years ago, on a camping trip in southern Kentucky. It has to be really, really dark to see the Milky Way.

Old 05-12-2011, 06:24 PM

866 posts, read 1,560,484 times
The Provo picture is accurate; that is what I see on a nightly basis. The picture to the left looks like what I could see on a camping trip to the mountains. There, I saw the Milky Way for the first time.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,855,962 times
Wow, I can't imagine looking up at the night sky and just seeing the images on the right/bottom side. Ours is much more like the left/top side photos.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
The Provo picture is accurate; that is what I see on a nightly basis. The picture to the left looks like what I could see on a camping trip to the mountains. There, I saw the Milky Way for the first time.
That's awesome, I'd have to get pretty far from where I am just to see what you see normally.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Analog Man View Post
I hate light pollution. There is quite a bit of air pollution where I live on the Gulf coast, but you can still see a few stars like in the second picture from the top.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I've been in a rural mountainous part of Northwest Arkansas and I'm not sure the sky was ever quite that impressive. Although they seem to list NW Arkansas as a bit brighter than I thought. Still I think I've been in the average brightness areas and rarely or never seen it that impressive.

One thing is even in many areas with low light pollution there's often cloud-cover. Still I do like being where you can see the stars fairly well and I missed that if I went urban. Although there is something pretty about looking at the bright city too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by skippercollector View Post
Let's put it this way: I live in Cincinnati and the picture on the right is what I see on clear nights.
I've seen the Milky Way only ONCE in my life--30 years ago, on a camping trip in southern Kentucky. It has to be really, really dark to see the Milky Way.
I didn't expect much of the East to really be that different from here, but maybe a few more stars in the sky outside the East Coast I thought. I expected the most difference from the West outside of CA like Kangrui said it's like in Utah. I bet Alaska and Hawaii should have very clear nights outside of Anchorage and Honolulu too.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Wow, I can't imagine looking up at the night sky and just seeing the images on the right/bottom side. Ours is much more like the left/top side photos.
Yeah, I don't think there's too many places in this country with a sky that clear, and based on the projection map we'll have a lot less soon. If I didn't see pics of it I wouldn't even believe it was possible to get a view like that from Earth. I mean that, when I was younger I never could've imagined a sky so full of stars, I didn't think you could see that naturally from the ground.

Old 05-12-2011, 07:26 PM

93,326 posts, read 123,972,828 times
In parts of my area, you can get some great views of the sky at night. This is the case especially south and west of the urban area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.