Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2011, 04:10 PM

449 posts, read 1,132,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Probably better ranked as 35th, but at this point is probably mid-sized. I would not call Austin major at this point but also would not consider it small either

Table of United States Metropolitan Statistical Areas - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
i just found a flaw in ranking cities by metropolitan area-what about twin cities and satellite cities. where would we place:
newark
cary
aurora
santa ana
oakland
tacoma
vancouver
st. paul
and a few more...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 05:41 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
If the water shortage thing becomes a real issue, cities like Syracuse, Lansing and maybe even Flint could become important and could grow greatly.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:41 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Default Raleigh North Carolina Metro 1.1 Million 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by rnc2mbfl View Post
As a reference, Raleigh was about 150,000 in 1980 and its county was about 300K. Now, the city of Raleigh is a tad over 400,000 and its county is over 900,000. Its largest suburb, Cary, is now close to the size that Raleigh was 30 years ago. In the next 20 years, the Raleigh/Cary MSA is projected to be the fastest growing metro in the nation. Wake County will probably be tipping 1.5 million and the 3 county MSA (excluding Durham and Chapel Hill) is projected to be pushing 1.9 Million. The core city of Raleigh will probably be 600,000+ while Cary will easily cross the 200,000 mark.

A lot can happen in 50 years to the right small city.
Raleigh was hit by lighening , it's the exception to the rule , "and probably
the fastest growing "City" in America" , Raleigh has ( One Of The Most Elite
(Duke) Universities In The World) and Two Other Major Universities.
I see no other city in America Like Raleigh.See Below

Raleigh, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-19-2011, 12:47 PM

469 posts, read 886,593 times
cedar rapids, iowa

Old 05-19-2011, 01:04 PM

10,400 posts, read 15,583,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
how come?
I have listed these "Cities" as cities with an outside chance of
becoming "Major Cities Like RALEIGH NC" in order and "Rank"
with the most likely to do so listed first....

Peoria Ill.
Peoria, Illinois - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Rochester Minnesota
Rochester, Minnesota - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Columbus South Carolina
Columbia, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Charleston South Carolina
Charleston, South Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 05-19-2011, 01:33 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,878,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
If the water shortage thing becomes a real issue, cities like Syracuse, Lansing and maybe even Flint could become important and could grow greatly.
Curious as to why you listed those cities in particular? Do they have huge supplies of water over other Northern cities?

Old 05-19-2011, 01:52 PM

93,329 posts, read 123,972,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Curious as to why you listed those cities in particular? Do they have huge supplies of water over other Northern cities?
Not necessarily, but their close access to freshwater might come into play in the future. I could have included some cities in Minnesota and from other states with close proximity to the Great Lakes.

Then, the educational aspect can come into play with a couple of the cities I mentioned. So, such cities like a Syracuse or Lansing/East Lansing could be places where new jobs can be created due to the higher education presence in both of those areas. For instance, I believe that the Central NY area has one of the highest rates per capita of college students in the country. Look at the bottom of this page: http://www.creativecoreny.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=312&Item id (broken link)

New York's Creative Core (http://www.creativecoreny.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=13&Itemi d - broken link)=

and some more good information: New York's Creative Core (http://www.creativecoreny.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=222&Item id - broken link)=

New York's Creative Core (http://www.creativecoreny.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=24&Itemi d - broken link)=

Say Yes to Education - Syracuse

Old 05-19-2011, 02:15 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Razor123 View Post
i just found a flaw in ranking cities by metropolitan area-what about twin cities and satellite cities. where would we place:
newark
cary
aurora
santa ana
oakland
tacoma
vancouver
st. paul
and a few more...
Well Vancouver is in Canada for one

But the others all part of a larger metro and most on your list very close to the core

You referenced Newark for example - as Metro Division it by itself would be a top 10 MSA in the US. I am not sure i see your point; basically on on your list are parts of larger mtros and heavilly influenced by the underlying metro they are a part of.

If your questioning whther Austin feels closer to the 35th largest or 15th largest; most definately 35th

Old 05-19-2011, 02:28 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,774,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidphilly View Post
Well Vancouver is in Canada for one

But the others all part of a larger metro and most on your list very close to the core

You referenced Newark for example - as Metro Division it by itself would be a top 10 MSA in the US. I am not sure i see your point; basically on on your list are parts of larger mtros and heavilly influenced by the underlying metro they are a part of.

If your questioning whther Austin feels closer to the 35th largest or 15th largest; most definately 35th
Just curious...how does one determine whether a city "feels" like the 15th or 35th largest city?

Old 05-19-2011, 04:14 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wag more bark less View Post
Just curious...how does one determine whether a city "feels" like the 15th or 35th largest city?

It was on population. Does Austin feel like the 15th largest city in the US, no there many places that feel and are larger...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.