Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-21-2011, 09:23 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sacramento916 View Post
Sactown is a midsized city now with a metro pop of 2.3 million.

But I think in the next 20-30 years, it will develop into a much larger city with a higher profile. Perhaps in the 4 million plus range.

Plus, there is a lot of redevelopment going on in the historic urban core which will make sure that Sacramento will become a lot more interesting as an urban city in the future.

Right on. I agree. I can give Sac this much. Not an OVERLY impressive city, but due to population coming in, it can be one day.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2011, 09:25 PM

1,342 posts, read 2,066,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j_cat View Post
Portland (Oregon) could get a lot bigger (right now it's the smallest of the main set of west coast cities) if all those hip youths ever get their act together and build something productive. It's got the infrastructure and the brainpower.

Salt Lake City has been quietly moving toward the big time.
Yea like smarter more logical movements and the young crowds there need to STOP pandering to blacks who ***** and moan how they aren't accepted there. Thats a start. I would think by now, Portland whites are sick of it.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:25 PM

77 posts, read 152,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Where are the negatives?! Just kidding.

I would love to move to Savannah or Charleston, just so small and not much happening. Good ideas, could see some DC type developments thriving there.
There appears to be many negatives and not a lot to do. The city proper seems okay but the town's metro is small. I read that SCAD has a lot of pull in the town and is restoring historic homes and such. The advantage that Savamnah has on other cities is that there probably isn't a more urban place within 400 miles. I'm really high on this place because it looks like parts of Philadelphia (Society Hill/Queen Village/Old City) & Federal Hill in Baltimore. I already see it as a peer to Alexandria and some N'hoods in NY aesthetically.

Do you think that Savannah could become a large town or mid-sized city in like 20 years? I'd be a part time resident down there. It's really to good to go to waste.

I still don't get how the place isn't better than what it is.

Old 08-21-2011, 09:43 PM

16,507 posts, read 26,285,643 times
It could. Similar to how (some) people feel about Lafayette, LA. Let the charm stay genuine in Savannah. I imagine too much growth, especially too fast, would not be good.

Old 08-21-2011, 10:50 PM

I was under the impression that more of Savannah's squares, rows, and twin housing could increase whatever charm it had because it comes from the city. You have me interested in Lafayette a little.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:06 PM

Double post.

Old 08-21-2011, 11:09 PM

How would they increase charm if they are part of the city?

You should check out Lafayette. Different than Savannah, but has its charm as well. The Cajuns, the food, and the women in that city....mhmm.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
How would they increase charm if they are part of the city?

You should check out Lafayette. Different than Savannah, but has its charm as well. The Cajuns, the food, and the women in that city....mhmm.
I'm talking about the urban area of Savannah. In every video that I viewed, the squares and historic structures were what people memtioned the most. From what I see, that's the charm of the town. There needs to be more of that.

John Berendt describes Savannah

Midnight in the garden of good and evil

Lafayette sounds looks like it could go from towm to small city and midsized also. I'm actually doing some research. It seems to have a larger metro than Savannah.

Old 08-22-2011, 09:10 AM

1,335 posts, read 1,660,661 times
The communities of Millville and Vineland NJ could eventually create a real city, if Route 55 gets extended to the Garden State Parkway and light rail service is implemented as planned.

Taken from wikipedia -

Future:

Despite the fact that the southern extension has been held up for decades, it is being revisited due to the disturbing images of Hurricane Katrina and Hurricane Rita in the Gulf states. The Cape May Peninsula and surrounding area does not have a proper evacuation route and Route 55 may be extended in order to provide one. In addition, traffic jams along Route 47 during the summer have also led to a possible revival of the proposal. There are efforts and studies being done to finish the remaining 20 miles (32 km) of the missing freeway. As a result, construction of this section is not expected to begin for years. Any proposal to extend Route 55 still faces environmental opposition.

In 2009, State Senator Jeff Van Drew introduced a plan for an extension of Route 55 into Cape May County. In the plan, the South Jersey Transportation Authority would build the road and it would cost $1 billion. In order to reduce the impact on the environment, the freeway may be elevated. It is also anticipated that the extension of Route 55 would be tolled; however, no tolls are planned to be placed on the existing route. This proposal for an elevated Route 55 follows two years of failed attempts for a feasibility study to relieve traffic on Route 47. Portions of Route 47 and Route 347 may be upgraded from a surface road to a freeway that would become part of Route 55.

New Jersey Governor Jon S. Corzine and the Delaware River Port Authority announced a comprehensive transportation plan for South Jersey on May 12, 2009. This plan would introduce express bus service along the Route 55 freeway and the adjacent Route 42 freeway. It would also include a diesel light rail line between Camden and Glassboro via Woodbury over an existing railroad right-of-way (as opposed to the expanded PATCO line via Route 55), improvements to New Jersey Transit’s Atlantic City Line, and enhanced connections to the Atlantic City International Airport."

New Jersey Route 55 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 08-22-2011, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by •|~ View Post
I'm talking about the urban area of Savannah. In every video that I viewed, the squares and historic structures were what people memtioned the most. From what I see, that's the charm of the town. There needs to be more of that.

John Berendt describes Savannah

Lafayette sounds looks like it could go from towm to small city and midsized also. I'm actually doing some research. It seems to have a larger metro than Savannah.
Gotcha. That's with cities like Charleston too. I agree.

The metro is larger than Savannah, the CSA is over 500,000. It has a good foundation for growth, schools aren't horrid, safe from most hurricanes, and people generally love the place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.