Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 07:20 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThroatGuzzler View Post
I'd take any one of the Northeast cities over cookie cutter Atlanta, Miami, or Dallas. That's for sure.
I agree, Atlanta is boring. Suburban sprawl.

Northeast cities have unique older architecture. OP, The city of Boston is hardly falling down and crumbling...

http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTUn8A9fUjtrixFY0Kj0AZNHYX2zYv5k zkKslGgqn77R1G5KwSq (broken link)

Old 05-16-2011, 07:26 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,536,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
About people being cold:

Some of the nicest people I've ever met was in the 2 weeks I spent in Philly in 07'. Great people. Great City.
Amen!

Old 05-17-2011, 04:54 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,733,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by knke0204 View Post
About people being cold:

Some of the nicest people I've ever met was in the 2 weeks I spent in Philly in 07'. Great people. Great City.
My brother was "stuck" in Philly for a few days last winter due to heavy snow on his way to England. Granted he didn't stay there long, but he said he was shocked at how nice most of the people were, compared to what he was used to here.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:38 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
Lesee... The following types of music got their start in the South:

1: Bluegrass- which is a combination of traditional South African ( Banjo and guitar) music and Irish music

2: Ragtime which transitioned into Blues and Mississippi delta music.

3: Country music which basically started with bluegrass and eventually took on many flavors ranging from blues, jazz, and so forth

4: Rock-n-Roll which later transitioned into Pop music.

Basically the foundation of modern American music was all started in the South. To this day Nashville is the single largest music producing city in the US only behind NYC which is amazing seeing as how Nashville is a small fraction of the size of NYC.

About those Northeastern winters... All I can say is that if you're not accustomed to them and you move there- get ready for a shock. Where I grew up in TN we definitely had winters. As in 30's and 40's for 2-3 months out of the year. Winter up North is a whole different definition. As in frozen solid. As in it actually hurt to go outside sometimes. As in if you didn't totally dry your hair in the morning it would freeze when you stepped outside. As in the snow would stick around for weeks on end. That's what I would call miserable.

And what about summer? Well- I believe the hottest summer I ever recall was the summer of 98' in Boston. The city turned into a giant concrete microwave: It was pushing 100 too. Given that its on the ocean it was also extremely humid. It was a hot, grimy, nasty experience and what's more- it was at least in the mid 80's for 3 weeks. In fact it generally stayed at least in the 80's until early Sept. So anyone making a claim that the South takes the prize for having miserable summers must not be comparing the two accurately.

lastly- yes, we all agree that Atlanta is one giant sprawly city. We in the South would agree with you. That doesn't mean there aren't some neat old historical, cute, walkable, and charming cities or sleepy towns in the South. I can name tons off the top of my head. Generically attaching Atlanta as the city to represent an entire region isn't really accurate either. Its one city amongst many.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:54 AM

97 posts, read 145,870 times
Biased southerners **** me off, especially since I live down south and would do so much to get outta here.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:34 AM

2,106 posts, read 5,786,169 times
I find this whole conversation sort of silly. I've lived all over the country. On both coasts and in the South with time spend in a few other places. Truth be known people and places are about 90% similar. Each area is going to have its own unique characteristics. Sure- being born and raised as a Southerner I have a soft spot for that area. But I've felt equally at home in other places too- like California which believe it or not has vast rural undeveloped areas away from the coastal cities and in some ways reminds me of back home.

If you like where you live then that's all that matters.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:48 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
I like everything about NH except the cost of living. Most positions don't pay as much as most other New England states in my career field. I would definitely move back if I can find a good paying position in my field of expertise.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:50 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Companies generally do not pay higher salaries for higher COL. That's always been the problem with moving to California
my company has tiers depending on your geographical location. you get more money in NYC than your peer in Phoenix for instance.

Old 05-17-2011, 09:51 AM

12,283 posts, read 35,677,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sliverbox View Post
I find this whole conversation sort of silly. I've lived all over the country. On both coasts and in the South with time spend in a few other places. Truth be known people and places are about 90% similar. Each area is going to have its own unique characteristics. Sure- being born and raised as a Southerner I have a soft spot for that area. But I've felt equally at home in other places too- like California which believe it or not has vast rural undeveloped areas away from the coastal cities and in some ways reminds me of back home.

If you like where you live then that's all that matters.
I've traveled the country and the bolded is spot on. People are people - nice ones and aholes are everywhere.

Old 05-17-2011, 02:03 PM

14,492 posts, read 26,585,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I like everything about NH except the cost of living. Most positions don't pay as much as most other New England states in my career field. I would definitely move back if I can find a good paying position in my field of expertise.
N.H. is pretty- My Dad took us all on road trips all through NY , New England area as kids to learn history---thats why we learned Concord N.H. is different from Lexington-Concord.

A poster mentioning music as reason the south is great...well I guess Im older ..I dont care about hillbilly culture, etc. It IS possible for a northeastern person live in south.... (esp South Florida) ....I like nice scenery, decent house and some educated areas.

Overall though New England and Boston ( I lived there 2 years) Back Bay- is a beautiful cultured city, not as expensive as NY and beautiful architecture.

I am sick of suburban sprawl so maybe if economy gets better in the next decade I will need to find a walkable city again. TN is not for everyone but Ive been here 7 years. Atlanta is like a poor version of a real city. I hate the airport there, so dirty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.