Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2011, 09:17 AM

20 posts, read 55,821 times

Advertisements

In some countries ethnicity is more important than money. In Canada a non-White single man cannot enter a nightclub. In Sweden an Arab doctor doesn't enjoy the same status as an White drug addict on well-fare.

But is it different in the US? You got Black people in gated communities, and White people living in trailer parks.

Does ethnicity or money have the highest impact on your social status?

Does a Black man in a 2 000 dollar suite have a bigger chance to enter a night club than a White man in a jump suit?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2011, 12:15 PM

No one?

Old 04-30-2011, 12:51 PM

143 posts, read 290,463 times
It's a hard question to answer... In the US, race and socio-economic status are inter-twined due to unfortunate historical trends that have kept generational poverty cycles alive. This means that many people wrongly associate lower socio-economic status with minorities. In fact one of the most infuriating things I always hear, is a white person will say "that black person is ok because they are acting white." While admittingly there are some cultural differnces amongst all races, you can't "act white." What these ignorant people are inferring is that when an african-american is well-spoken and intellegent, then they are ok with their race. What they usually don't realize, is that this african american person is most likely from a higher socio-economic background - so people are confusing race with class.

Another example... I taught in a Chicago Public high school that was VERY diverse - (25% white, 25% AA, 25% hispanic/latino, 25% asian; and 50% richest kids in the city and 50% poorest). The tensions amongst students groups was NOT race, but class. Even the more affluent african american students connected with the affluent white kids, and looked down on the poor black students.

So again, your question is hard to answer becuase there are many things to consider. Are there people that are just flat out racist and are going to dislike someone no matter what their skin color - of course. But I think if wealth was magically distributed equally amongst all races overnight, you would see a lot more discrimination by socioeconomic status instead of race. It's just that in much of America's history, those two divisions have unfortunately gone hand-in-hand...confusing racism with classism (not that either is "better")

Old 04-30-2011, 02:10 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Check out the video/article about how a club was "too Black" in Buffalo.

Old 04-30-2011, 02:26 PM

639 posts, read 1,290,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
In some countries ethnicity is more important than money. In Canada a non-White single man cannot enter a nightclub. In Sweden an Arab doctor doesn't enjoy the same status as an White drug addict on well-fare.

But is it different in the US? You got Black people in gated communities, and White people living in trailer parks.

Does ethnicity or money have the highest impact on your social status?

Does a Black man in a 2 000 dollar suite have a bigger chance to enter a night club than a White man in a jump suit?
Huh? Link?

Old 04-30-2011, 02:29 PM

639 posts, read 1,290,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboyzero View Post
It's a hard question to answer... In the US, race and socio-economic status are inter-twined due to unfortunate historical trends that have kept generational poverty cycles alive. This means that many people wrongly associate lower socio-economic status with minorities. In fact one of the most infuriating things I always hear, is a white person will say "that black person is ok because they are acting white." While admittingly there are some cultural differnces amongst all races, you can't "act white." What these ignorant people are inferring is that when an african-american is well-spoken and intellegent, then they are ok with their race. What they usually don't realize, is that this african american person is most likely from a higher socio-economic background - so people are confusing race with class.

Another example... I taught in a Chicago Public high school that was VERY diverse - (25% white, 25% AA, 25% hispanic/latino, 25% asian; and 50% richest kids in the city and 50% poorest). The tensions amongst students groups was NOT race, but class. Even the more affluent african american students connected with the affluent white kids, and looked down on the poor black students.

So again, your question is hard to answer becuase there are many things to consider. Are there people that are just flat out racist and are going to dislike someone no matter what their skin color - of course. But I think if wealth was magically distributed equally amongst all races overnight, you would see a lot more discrimination by socioeconomic status instead of race. It's just that in much of America's history, those two divisions have unfortunately gone hand-in-hand...confusing racism with classism (not that either is "better")
I tend to agree in most circumstances. I grew up in a similar environment in the south. Kids seemed to gravitate towards others from the same class as them. The same is true on the street too.

Old 04-30-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spaceboyzero View Post

Intressting. I have noticed something, I have a theory. In societies where the gap between rich and poor is small, and there's a strong and big middle class. Elitism tend to focus on race.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Huh? Link?
I managed to find this.

YouTube - RACISM REBORN part 1

Old 04-30-2011, 06:52 PM

93,412 posts, read 124,084,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deamon View Post
Intressting. I have noticed something, I have a theory. In societies where the gap between rich and poor is small, and there's a strong and big middle class. Elitism tend to focus on race.

I managed to find this.

YouTube - RACISM REBORN part 1
I've heard about Calgary being that way and this happens in the US more than people realize.

Old 04-30-2011, 07:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I've heard about Calgary being that way and this happens in the US more than people realize.
But does a Black man in a 2 000 USD suit more likely to enter an establishment than a White man in a normal suit?

Old 04-30-2011, 07:17 PM

1,800 posts, read 3,914,563 times
Depends where. It's not that easy to answer. In a bigger city, north, south, east, or west, at a regular establishment, it is probably even. In a more rural area, where people aren't used to diversity, likely not.

But also in a big city you have private country clubs that may exclude African Americans.

In more rural areas and smaller metro areas, I've noticed things to be more race based regardless of wealth. Sides of town are still drawn and people tend to hang with people of the same ethnicity.

In bigger cities, that was the case until the 1980s. Now I think more people have friends of all different backgrounds and people don't really pay attention to ethnicity any more. It's more to do with socioeconomic status.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.