Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-19-2011, 08:33 AM

1 posts, read 1,350 times

Advertisements

I grew up in a multi-cultural area of MD but I'm not a US citizen (military brat). I spent most of my childhood there and would like try my best to become a US citizen. I do not have an accent and most people assume I'm American already, but I'm European.

I'm in my late teens and will be going to college soon. Considering how expensive college is in the US, I'd like to try and get accepted into a community college, do two years there, and then perhaps transfer to a respected institution if my grades are high enough to permit that.

I'm looking for an area that is, obviously, not anti-immigrant. However, I already speak English and spent most of my years in public US schools so I know a great deal of history, I'm not one of those immigrants that would refuse to do anything to adapt. In addition to that, I'm looking for an area with OK schools in the least, and where tuition and rent isn't sky high. Preferably a diverse area, but safe enough for a single white female who doesn't have many relatives around (except for on the east coast).

Preferably a place with 4 seasons, but mild winters. I enjoy the humidity in MD and around there. I'd rather be in a warm place than a cold one.

Also a place that is in need of people in health care, I'm planning on doing something in medicine. My other choice would be something related to filmmaking/editing, but I'm willing to look into other careers if they provide a more likely chance of becoming a citizen. I know that nothing is guaranteed though, I'm just trying to be optimistic and doing my best to try and get citizenship. Nothing illegal.

I already fit the bill for most things that you need to learn when it comes to citizenship. I have no criminal record, etc. I've read up on the methods and I believe that going on a student visa, trying my best for a H1-B visa, and then going from that to a visa that permits permanent residency is my best bet, I think. If you have any advice, feel free to message me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2011, 10:25 AM

93,255 posts, read 123,876,708 times
Asheville and Chapel Hill in NC, the Tidewater area of VA, Atlanta, Nashville in the South and Philadelphia, Columbus OH, St. Louis and Omaha, among some others.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:20 AM

5,429 posts, read 14,840,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jestap View Post
I'm looking for an area that is, obviously, not anti-immigrant. However, I already speak English and spent most of my years in public US schools so I know a great deal of history, I'm not one of those immigrants that would refuse to do anything to adapt.
I enjoy the humidity in MD and around there. I'd rather be in a warm place than a cold one.
Also a place that is in need of people in health care, I'm planning on doing something in medicine. My other choice would be something related to filmmaking/editing, but I'm willing to look into other careers if they provide a more likely chance of becoming a citizen.
Aside from the other suggestion, you could look into Houston (for your first career choice, medicine is HUGE here), or Austin for your second career choice. You wouldn't get all four seasons but you'd get everything else.

Old 05-20-2011, 07:36 AM

6,485 posts, read 12,532,342 times
Quote:
I grew up in a multi-cultural area of MD but I'm not a US citizen (military brat). I spent most of my childhood there and would like try my best to become a US citizen. I do not have an accent and most people assume I'm American already, but I'm European.

I'm in my late teens and will be going to college soon. Considering how expensive college is in the US, I'd like to try and get accepted into a community college, do two years there, and then perhaps transfer to a respected institution if my grades are high enough to permit that.

I'm looking for an area that is, obviously, not anti-immigrant. However, I already speak English and spent most of my years in public US schools so I know a great deal of history, I'm not one of those immigrants that would refuse to do anything to adapt. In addition to that, I'm looking for an area with OK schools in the least, and where tuition and rent isn't sky high. Preferably a diverse area, but safe enough for a single white female who doesn't have many relatives around (except for on the east coast).

Preferably a place with 4 seasons, but mild winters. I enjoy the humidity in MD and around there. I'd rather be in a warm place than a cold one.

Also a place that is in need of people in health care, I'm planning on doing something in medicine. My other choice would be something related to filmmaking/editing, but I'm willing to look into other careers if they provide a more likely chance of becoming a citizen. I know that nothing is guaranteed though, I'm just trying to be optimistic and doing my best to try and get citizenship. Nothing illegal.

I already fit the bill for most things that you need to learn when it comes to citizenship. I have no criminal record, etc. I've read up on the methods and I believe that going on a student visa, trying my best for a H1-B visa, and then going from that to a visa that permits permanent residency is my best bet, I think. If you have any advice, feel free to message me.
I'm a bit confused. You state that you're a "military brat." Is at least one of your parents a U.S. citizen?

Old 05-21-2011, 06:38 AM

27,196 posts, read 43,896,295 times
Quote:

North Carolina fits the bill for you. The Community College system there is quite good and relatively inexpensive. The healthcare industry is particularly strong in NC as well, especially in the central part of the state. I'd recommend checking out Forsyth Tech Community College in Winston Salem which has a strong Allied Health/Nursing department and excellent off-site rotation opportunities at Wake Forest University's Bowman Gray Hospital or NC Baptist Hospital. The cost of living in Winston Salem is quite low and it's actually a pleasant place to live as well. Good luck!

Winston-Salem, North Carolina - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
ForsythTech - Health Technologies
ForsythTech - Fast Facts
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.