Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2020, 11:07 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,562,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by M TYPE X View Post
My favorite patch of road anywhere is M-14 from Ann Arbor to Detroit's western burbs.
This must be a joke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2020, 11:11 PM

68 posts, read 120,129 times
Default backroad to redwoods

My pick is the backroad into redwoods natl park starting from martin's ferry bridge.

Old 12-20-2020, 11:43 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,456,270 times
We travel extensively in the western US in our truck camper. We prefer the scenic route blue highways, county roads, USFS and BLM gravel roads.

Colorado:

hwy 139 from Rangely to Loma. The road is winding and gains and loses altitude. It is also subject to falling rock and crumbling shoulders.
Highways 133 and 92 from Carbondale to Black Canyon of the Gunnison
The road through Colorado National Monument: red rock paradise

Idaho:
Highway 12 or Lolo Pass Highway from Kooskia to Lolo, MT. It follows along a canyon carved by the Lochsa River
St. Marie’s to the end of the road that follows the St. Joe River.
Highway 93 from Arco to Challis. Mount Borah is Idaho’s tallest mountain at 12,662’
Pahsimeroi Valley and Doublespring Pass: a series of gravel roads

Montana:
Swan River Valley (Highway 83) from Bigfork to junction with highway 200
Highway 89 from highway 200 to White Sulphur Springs
Highway 200 from Idaho border to junction with 287. You drive along the Blackfoot River and over Rogers Pass which set a record for the coldest temps in the lower 48
Highway 287 from Three Forks to north entrance of Yellowstone.
Skakalko highway from Hamilton to junction with highway 1. It is best to drive east to west due to drop offs on this narrow road. Bonus is a waterfall right by the road
And, of course, Going to the Sun highway in Glacier National Park.

It is past my bedtime so will continue tomorrow.

Old 12-22-2020, 11:22 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,456,270 times
Okay, to continue.

Nevada:
The road through Valley of Fire state park: a technicolor vista
Rainbow Valley road from Caliente to Moapa. It begins paved then decent gravel. RR buffs enjoy it as trains run through the many tunnels
Long Valley road (3) that runs from highway 50 west of Ely north to the Ruby Lake National Wildlife Refuge then west and north to the Ruby Mountains

Oregon:
Highway 138, the waterfall highway from Roseburg to its junction with highway 97
I-84 from Portland to Boardman along the Columbia River
Highway 395 from California border to Pendleton
Highway 205 from Denio through ranch country and coulees to Burns
Road that loops on Steens Mountain. Beautiful vistas at several lookout points to the Alvord Desert below.
East Steens Road along the Alford Desert with Steens Mountain looming above
Of course high 101 along the Oregon coast. I think it is prettier and more rugged the further south you travel
Highway 20 from Redmond to Sweet Home
Coquille Wagon Road from Coquille to Roseburg
The drive through the Sheep Rock Unit of the John Day national monument
The drive around Crater Lake
And, many more

More later

Old 12-23-2020, 12:35 AM

401 posts, read 532,841 times
Of the places I've driven:

1. Going-To-The-Sun-Road; Glacier N.P., MT

2. U.S. 89A, Vermillion Cliffs Nat'l Monument; Kebab, UT to Bitter Springs, AZ

3. Lower PCH; Malibu to Monterey, CA

4. NV S.R. 375, The Extraterrestrial Hwy.; En route to Rachel, NV from Las Vegas.

5. The Blue Ridge Pkwy.; TN, NC

6. U.S. 40, Berthoud Pass; Kremmling/Granby/Berthoud Falls, CO

7. UT S.R. 9 -> U.S. 89, Zion-Mt. Carmel Hwy.: Zion N.P., UT

8. VT Rtes107->100->73; Bethel/Stockbridge/Rochester/Brandon, VT

9. AL S.R. 281, Talladega Scenic Drive: Clay / Cleburne Cos., AL

10. Co. Hwy. 30A, The Emerald Coast; Walton Co., FL

Old 12-23-2020, 09:28 AM

515 posts, read 249,427 times
I'll give a few... (if you haven't done it, use streetview)

Big Sur - from south of Monterrey down to roughly Cambria on the Pacific Coast Highway (CA-1) is beautiful
Blue Ridge Parkway - done it many times, and it's beautiful every time. A lot of roads in the mountains of NC/TN are incredible...
Florida A1A - specifically the stretch in the Keys. Many people might find it boring, but on a clear day it is really cool
NC 12 - large stretches of sand dunes on this route which connects the Outer Banks, quite underrated IMO...
Really any stretch of the Pacific that's not a metro area is super pretty to be honest...
Portions of Montana state road 35 along the east shore of Flathead Lake (close to Glacier) are stunning...

Old 12-23-2020, 10:42 AM

16,038 posts, read 10,605,553 times
I agree with most of the mentioned candidates but just getting off the interstate is the first step. Many of the popular scenic routes are so crowded that they are less enjoyable. AI like to discover places as photographer, the memorable routes have been along the Hudson River, (surprisingly) back roads on the high plains of Kansas and eastern Colorado, south rim of the Grand Canyon in winter, Northern New Mexico (Rt 84, Rt 64, etc.). I used to travel the Blue Ridge Parkway and it was not crowded then (1970s) but I haven't seen it since then. Hwy 550 from Durango to Montrose Colorado is one. In New Mexico there is a 40-mile dirt and gravel road in the desert that passes Cabezon Peak and the Rio Puerco Volcanic Field towards the Guadalupe Ruins that provides some great views if you like far horizons and desert scenery. It takes some effort, you won't see any traffic, and one can get lost -- but it is worth it (take water).

Old 12-23-2020, 10:49 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,895,282 times
Maybe this would be a good time to introduce some of the less traveled routes across this shore to Shore vastness that exists in North America. There are many shorter distance scenic drives that are best taken depending the time of year for an example. One just off the top of my head is the drive from Copper Harbor,Mi. To Eagle River,Mi. On state rt 26. This byway snakes across the Lake Superior shore for 27 miles with many overlooks as well as easy access places down to the water,rock shores as well as sand beaches abound. ..........I drive it every Fall as part of my annual overnighter to The truly end of the road !US 41 that starts in Miami,Fl. "..........There are many others,however this stands out for me being my 41 excursion on my birthday. Well worth the drive anytime of the year,except maybe the dead of winter,they measure their snow in feet not inches !

Old 12-23-2020, 11:06 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,342,914 times
So many in the U.S.!

The most beautiful drives to me:

1) the road to Key West from mainland Florida along the end of 95.

2) Driving through the White Mountains in NH.

3) Much of Pacific Coast Hwy, along Newport Beach to San Juan Capistrano, and in the north near Morro Bay and Big Sur.

4) Through Utah from CA to Denver.

5) Along Lake Shore Drive in Chicago from the Museum of Science of Industry south to the north until it ends at Sheridan Road.

6) Mulholland Drive in LA

7) Along the Tetons in WY

8) Road to the Sun in Glacier in MT

9) Road to the Badlands in SD driving west where their outline comes right at you.

10) Grandview Drive in Peoria Il, which Theodore Roosevelt called "the most beautiful drive in America".

Old 04-21-2023, 04:57 AM

218 posts, read 111,112 times
Kelly Drive in Philadelphia is probably the premier drive in Philly. From the twin bridges in East Falls, the river on your right and the park (with its formations) on your left. Both a scenic drive and a popular bike/running trail.

As you approach the city you have the boathouse row on your right (MLK drive is better for actually seeing the houses, especially lit up at night)....then the city comes in to view, in the background with the beautiful Art Museum in front.

This road directly connects to the Benjamin Franklin Parkway which is a scenic drive in itself. The parkway draped in the worlds flags, the Art Museum (and rocky steps) behind you, you approach the beautiful Swan Fountain at Logan Circle, continue towards the formidable City Hall as it cuts a diagonal through the city grid.

It ends at LOVE park & statue and is glorious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.