Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 03:54 PM

36,625 posts, read 67,140,815 times

Advertisements

California has so many amazing drives its hard to pick.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2007, 05:40 PM

4,180 posts, read 14,543,236 times
Spectacular drives:
1. Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Parkway--wow
2. Route 1 along the California, Oregon, and Washington Coast
3. I took Highway 2 from Seattle all the way to the Mackinac Bridge in Michigan-phenominal. The great plains are so much prettier when you are off the freeway.
4. walking up Broadway from the Battery to the end of Manhatten. oh--and walking across the Brooklyn Bridge
5. any of the highways that travel the shores of the great lakes in Michigan
6. the road along the shores of Lake Superior in Minnesota
7. driving around the perimeter of cascade peninsula of Washington
8. Lakeshore Drive in Chicago
9. going across the Golden Gate Bridge
10. the keys of Florida from south Miami to Key West
11. up Mt. Washington in New Hampshire
12. driving around Lake Tahoe
13. and for our Canadian friends, driving around the perimeter of Cape Breton Island in Nova Scotia----very spectacular

Old 10-30-2007, 09:43 PM

1,658 posts, read 2,669,180 times
Another vote for the Blue Ridge Parkway! And Hwy 101 along the Oregon Coast.

Old 10-30-2007, 11:53 PM

1,903 posts, read 7,874,604 times
The California coastal highway made me sick, sitting in the back of a 2005 Nissan Altima rental. Never again.
The Oregon coast is much easier on the backseat passengers.

The expanse between Wawa and Thunder Bay in Canader is a long stretch of many KILOMETRES of "ARE WE THERE YET, EH?" I highly do not recommend. If you take your kids, stop at the A&W in Marathon, if it's still there.

Old 10-31-2007, 04:41 AM

4,180 posts, read 14,543,236 times
oops. I meant the Olympic Peninsula in Washington but the ride out Route 2 going east was also wonderful

Old 10-31-2007, 07:10 AM

386 posts, read 1,324,706 times
I would say Lake Shore Drive in Chicago leaves my awestruck. I also love the circle tour around Lake Michigan. Others, Highway 2 across WI and into MN and also the ride along the Mississippi River. We started in MN/WI and followed it down.
I also love heading west through the Rockies.

Old 10-31-2007, 11:39 AM

9,019 posts, read 14,195,604 times
I can only include the roads that I've been on, so I can't comment on Blue Ridge etc.

i. Utah 12, from Capitol Reef to Bryce Canyon
ii. PCH, beyond compare, but would be so much better with less traffic
iii. Logan's Pass (Going to the Sun Road) Glacier NP, MT. Again too much traffic, and far better going West to East than East to West.
iv. US 89. Canada to Mexico I dare you to find a better road that shows everything the US has to offer without going off of one highway.
v. BC 19 Island Highway Top to bottom on Vancouver Island
vi. 1A, AB 93 Johnson's Canyon/Icefields Parkway Covers everything the Canadian Rockies have to offer on one road, including traffic in the summer, and treacherous in the winter.

Old 10-31-2007, 02:13 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,697,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
US 89. Canada to Mexico I dare you to find a better road that shows everything the US has to offer without going off of one highway.
I can do you one better: US Route 30 from the Oregon coast to Atlantic City. You get the Atlantic Coast, Pacific Coast, the Rockies, the Appalachians, the high plains/high desert, prairies of the Midwest, plus it passes through or right by several notable cities such as Portland, Omaha, Cedar Rapids, Chicago, Fort Wayne, Pittsburgh, Philadelphia/Camden, and Atlantic City. To me that represents a far broader cross-section of America than a route that never leaves the interior West. (Also, U.S. 89 no longer goes all the way to Mexico; it now terminates at Flagstaff.)

Old 10-31-2007, 02:51 PM

20,004 posts, read 77,099,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KateDaum View Post
I would say Lake Shore Drive in Chicago leaves my awestruck. I also love the circle tour around Lake Michigan. Others, Highway 2 across WI and into MN and also the ride along the Mississippi River. We started in MN/WI and followed it down.
I also love heading west through the Rockies.
Yes, that is indeed a great drive. Ive done it twice and loved every mile of it.

Old 10-31-2007, 03:10 PM

8,733 posts, read 15,873,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYMTman View Post
Only two stand out in my mind:

1) Going to the Sun Highway - Glacier Nat'l Park, Montana
2.) Beartooth Highway - Wyoming, Montana

But the most beautiful drive of all has to be the Icefields Parkway from Banff to Jasper in Alberta, Canada.
You are right on here. I have done all three , many times , and , in a 90 year old car.......!!........... The Blue Ridge parkway is also up there , for scenic beauty . Maybe , more so , cause its 400 miles long !....... then there is the drive coming up the Kenai Hy. Rt 1 , on the way to Anchorage, AK. Spectacular !
So many places , so little time ! See North America First !
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.