Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 01:12 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,933,713 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diane Giam View Post
Natchez Trace Parkway The Tennessee segment of the Natchez Trace Parkway is the northern leg of the byway, covering the entire length of the 444-mile Natchez Trace, which encompasses portions of Tennessee, Alabama, and Mississippi. Native Americans, Kaintuck boatmen, indians, post riders, soldiers and fortune seekers all travelled across this trail, charting new territory and creating a vital link between the Mississippi Territory and the United States. Areas of interest near the Tennessee section of the byway include two national park units -- Shiloh National Military Park and Stones River National Battlefield -- Jackson Falls, and the Gordon House and Ferry Site.
Start and Endpoint: The 101-mile Tennessee section of the parkway begins just south of Nashville at its junction with TN 100 and runs south to the Alabama state line. The parkway continues south through sections of Alabama and Mississippi, ending in Natchez, MS. The entire parkway spans 444 miles and was designated an "All-American" Road in 1996.
About.com: http://www.nps.gov/natt/

I have only Driven from Nashville, TN to Lawrenceberg, TN. The scenic overlooks are amazing. Last week there was a mass of Bike riders and Model T cars riding down it.

Diane G
One road I was not able to cross of my list. I missed the opportunity to do it , with old car friends, was told it was worth it.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 01:55 AM

343 posts, read 1,608,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
I've heard about the Icefields Parkway, and may take it myself in the next year or so. What would you say makes it so special?
It goes right next to the continental divide for 168 miles. I would say that
pretty special. It also ends at Marmot, so you can ski on both ends of the
highway.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:21 AM

142 posts, read 660,519 times
It seems no one has mentioned Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. The views from 12,000 feet are spectacular on a clear day.

Old 08-01-2008, 08:23 PM

3 posts, read 5,174 times
Zion National park, Trip to Nogales Arizona into Nogales Mexico, From Nw Penna to Daytona Florida, from Penna to Pharr Texas, From McAllen Texas to Phoenix, Atlantic City across the ferry boat, from NW Penna to Niagra Falls Canada

Old 08-17-2009, 06:44 AM

110 posts, read 376,527 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabm67 View Post
I-94 through North Dakota in August is lovely, a real surprise the last time I made a cross-country drive. Not a mountain road, obviously, but with the badlands at the west end and sunflower fields all along the way, it's as nice a freeway drive as you can ask for.
I agree. It was surprisingly pretty, as I drove up on rt 85 to 94, especially in the late afternoon, the light and shadows were really pretty.

Old 08-17-2009, 01:32 PM

505 posts, read 1,385,648 times
The Kancamagus Highway from Conway to Lincoln in New Hampshire. Great mountain views the whole way.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjscdn View Post
It seems no one has mentioned Trail Ridge Road in Rocky Mountain National Park. The views from 12,000 feet are spectacular on a clear day.
Been there , done that , great road and view.........from an vintage car.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:27 PM

The Road to the Sun , Montana........you will never forget it.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:35 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
Here's some entries for PA:

1. PA 144 from I-80 north to US 6 - south of Renovo it's the loneliest road in PA, sweeping views of the high plateau. North of Renovo drive along the pretty Kettle Creek. Since it doesn't go much of anywhere even by tourist standards, never any traffic.

2. The stretch of US 30 from Breezewood east to Fort Loudon is like some drives in Colorado if you add trees.

3. Parallel to #2 above is a road that has various names and numbers in each township, but was historically known as "Three Mountain Road" heading from Shippensburg to Burnt Cabins. From Ship it starts as PA 533 which suddenly ends in Upper Strasburg, but if you don't turn you go up and over the eponymous three mountains (Blue, Kittatinny, Tuscarora) that the also-parallel PA Turnpike tunnels through. Truly country that time forgot.

Old 08-18-2009, 07:44 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike0421 View Post
I've been to 47 states (not yet to Alaska, North Dakota, Utah) and have driven many extensively. I thought I'd share a list of what I think are some of the most scenic drives in the country.

1) Pacific Coast Highway from Marin County to Mendocino County, California.
2) Hana Highway, Hawaii
3) Rt 101, north of Olympic National Park, Washington
4) Glenwood Canyon along I-70, Colorado
5) Columbia River Highway from Portland to The Dalles, Oregon
6) Rt 2 through the Nebraska Sandhills, Nebraska
7) Rt 15 from Silver City to Gila Cliff Dwellings, New Mexico
8) Rt 1 from Florida City to Key West, Florida
9) Rt 12 from Missoula to Lolo Pass and Nez Perce, Montana-Idaho
10) NF-50 from St Maries to Avery Idaho, through St Joe River Valley

Honorable mention:

11) I-87 through the Adirondacks, New York
12) Birch Highway through Sedona, Arizona
13) I-93 through Franconia Notch, New Hampshire
14) Rt 14 approaching Devils Tower, Wyoming
15) Flatbrookville Road from Stokes St Forest to Del Water Gap, New Jersey
Which have pull overs for scenic viewing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.