Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2020, 11:41 PM

3,390 posts, read 3,322,583 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Which have pull overs for scenic viewing?
Not in that top 10 or honorable mention list, but I-68 in western Maryland has a rest area a few miles west of Hancock, MD, called Sideling Hill. It's ABSOLUTELY beautiful there, and to me maybe my FAVORITE rest area I've EVER visited in any eastern state? The views are really great there, so much that you'll want to stop there and take plenty of time to get photos! Me, I'd recommend
at least a 25-35 minute stop there. Also for sure(if going eastbound) walk across the pedestrian bridge, and check out the bigger size indoor rest area w/brochures(at least it seemed that way to me) on the westbound side of 68.

And if you're ever in Glacier National Park, be sure to travel the entire route of Going to the Sun Road. There are plenty of side parking areas you can pull over to get photos at, btw. WARNING that I'm DEAD SERIOUS(note these travel conditions were the case pre-COVID) when I say the main parking lot at Logan's Pass(highest point in this national park) gets so crowded, that the parking lot here hits capacity by something like 9-9:30am! Really get there before 9am, if you want to be able to park there. Note there also is a summer bus shuttle along the whole east to west length of Going to the Sun Road, if that parking lot gets full and you opt to park somewhere else instead.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2020, 01:18 AM

5,861 posts, read 15,194,675 times
When I moved from Seattle to Los Angeles, that was my most enjoyable, beautiful and unforgettable drive ever.

Old 12-19-2020, 03:53 AM

8,733 posts, read 15,893,334 times
All the most scenic roads ( there are many in NA with their own speciality) have one thing in common , and that’s the popularity in season ,it’s called traffic ! The first that comes to mind ,for me, is the Blue Ridge Parkway,a long road but with maybe the most places to pull over and that can be a good thing if you are looking at the same travel trailer,going slow, for hundreds of miles ! Big Sir comes in second for traffic on the longer routes. Nothing compares however with scenic routes near populated centers, I have seen most,the good,the bad, and even the ugly the last sixty years. There is little doubt, crazy traffic volumes can ruin even the most beautiful views.

Old 12-19-2020, 09:43 AM

2,992 posts, read 3,394,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pwright1 View Post
when i moved from seattle to los angeles, that was my most enjoyable, beautiful and unforgettable drive ever.
+1

Old 12-19-2020, 04:54 PM

27,916 posts, read 29,766,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyyc View Post
i. Utah 12, from Capitol Reef to Bryce Canyon
This is from a very old post, but I second this vote. This drive is positively breathtaking.

Old 12-19-2020, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
This is from a very old post, but I second this vote. This drive is positively breathtaking.
Agree, I took the drive in very early spring, not so crowded and before they closed the part to cars.

Old 12-20-2020, 03:28 AM

5,743 posts, read 3,541,318 times
NM-72/325. Alternative to the dreaded US-87 east of Raton. Visit the museum in Folsom NM. No special scenery, just a pleasant relaxing road through a nice part of the country.

Kansas has lots of blacktop county roads -- turn off the highway and drive a parallel road for a while, see lots of birds and flowers. To know which roads are paved, you'll need a paper map.

Old 12-20-2020, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arr430 View Post
NM-72/325. Alternative to the dreaded US-87 east of Raton. Visit the museum in Folsom NM. No special scenery, just a pleasant relaxing road through a nice part of the country.

Kansas has lots of blacktop county roads -- turn off the highway and drive a parallel road for a while, see lots of birds and flowers. To know which roads are paved, you'll need a paper map.
Auto touring in Brass era cars fits the Bill you describe.....especially with the top down. We call these roads “ blue highways”. A term derived from old maps where the hard surface rds were in blue......There are these byways all across North America,every state and Provinces...., and I’ve done most of them in my 60 years behind the wheel.

Old 12-20-2020, 12:54 PM

379 posts, read 464,128 times
New York:

Taconic Parkway
Adirondack Thruway
Route 23A up into the Catskills
Platte Clove Road
Route 73 through Adirondacks
Whiteface Memorial Highway
Palisades Parkway especially the Bear Mountain area
Storm King Highway

New Hampshire

I93 through Lincoln
Route 16 from Jackson up to Randolph
Crawford Notch
Mount Washington Auto Road (very scary - tied with road to the sun in Montana for me for being the scariest mountain drive in the US. And I’ve driven many including several in California, Washington, and Nevada as well as aforementioned Montana)

Connecticut:

Merritt Parkway

Old 12-20-2020, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mraza9 View Post
New York:

Taconic Parkway
Adirondack Thruway
Route 23A up into the Catskills
Platte Clove Road
Route 73 through Adirondacks
Whiteface Memorial Highway
Palisades Parkway especially the Bear Mountain area
Storm King Highway

New Hampshire

I93 through Lincoln
Route 16 from Jackson up to Randolph
Crawford Notch
Mount Washington Auto Road (very scary - tied with road to the sun in Montana for me for being the scariest mountain drive in the US. And I’ve driven many including several in California, Washington, and Nevada as well as aforementioned Montana)

Connecticut:

Merritt Parkway
You left out Pikes Peak, most famous of all ! Lots of history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.